strange engine issue

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something strange happened today (maybe).

On my drive home from work, my car (2004 with 800 miles) seemed to drive a bit different. Usually, the car responds to the slightest touch of the gas pedal. No matter what the rpms, just a touch on the gas, and the car surges forward. All of a sudden, driving home, the car seems "mushy."
I pulled out of the parking lot, and the car seemed like it was being held back. I thought I must have left the parking brake on, but looked down, and saw that it was off. The car seemed to be working harder than normal, as though I were towing a trailer or something. The engine noise seemed different, and it felt like the car needed to rev higher. At one point, I was reving above 4000 rpm in 2nd gear and going just 40mph.

This has continued all the rest of the day. I drove the car after work a bit to make sure that there was a difference. The problem is, I'm still not entirely sure. In pretty much every gear, it seems like I'm not getting the same power that I was this morning. There is a noticeable lag, almost like a turbo-boost lag, and the power doesn't kick in until about 3500 rpm. In addition, it seems like the car slows down a lot quicker when I don't have my foot on the gas. (I know that sounds dumb, because the car is supposed to go slower when you take your foot off the gas, but the effect seems more pronounced, as though I'm downshifting.)

Maybe it's all in my head, but it certainly seems like I have to mash on the gas pedal a whole lot harder all of a sudden. Before, the car responded almost instantly. Passing someone required only a tiny tap on the gas. Now, that isn't the case. I step on the gas, then step harder, the engine rumbles, pauses, and then I get the acceleration. It isn't a huge difference, and I wouldn't have even noticed, except that the car didn't have that feel this morning when I drove it to work.

What do you think? Do I need a mechanic, or do I just need to visit the shrink because I'm delusional? Anyone else had anything like this happen to them?

2vipers2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the same issue with my SRT/10. Same mileage also. The cats became clogged, all 4 of them. The car seemed like it was going to stall out. The gas pedal had to be pushed twice as far as normal. My dealer in Lakeland Florida had to replace all 4 cats, problem solved. I could be wrong but your problem sounds awfully familiar. Let me know how it turns out!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4