Street Racing on NBCs Crime and Punishment tonight

FrankTHutchens

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two guys drag racing on city streets. A Geo makes a left turn in front of them while the racers are doing about 87mph. Two killed in the Geo, surivior has brain damage and is in a wheel chair. One driver gets 9 years, the other 6 years for vehicular manslaughter. (Prosecutor wanted ****** verdict)

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the streets there are soooo many variables beyond your control. It's just a game of probabilities/percentages until something unexpected happens, usually with bad results.

A wise Vulcan once said "Live long and prosper".

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In NY you are equally liable for the actions of the other driver if you 'engage in competitive driving on public streets'. Think about that next time some idiot kid in a sprayed Honda with bicycle tires wants to race your viper. If that kid looses control and hurts/kills someone, you are equally liable as if you made contact with them yourself.

I don't race on the street because I'm not hoping I can beat the other guy, I wondering if he can keep up without killing anyone else!

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to race on the street, do us all a favor and kill yourself. Spare others the agony of you're stupidity.

Now who will be the first with their lame excuses? :rolleyes:

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree, I do not race on the streets. Come to think of it I haven't raced this Viper on the track either. Guess I am a waxer and my car is a garage queen!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In NY you are equally liable for the actions of the other driver if you 'engage in competitive driving on public streets'.

Typical liberal aholes making a law like that. People should be responsible for THEIR OWN actions not the actions of others.

OP
OP
F

FrankTHutchens

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's the "It takes two to Tango" logic. There wouldn't be a race without two parties involved.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's the "It takes two to Tango" logic. There wouldn't be a race without two parties involved.

Yeah I know, but it's stupid and wrong.

Drive through town in a Viper or even a hopped up Mustang or ricer and some punk is going to show you what they got. So they crash, is it my fault because they were enticed by my Viper? It shouldn't even matter if I said "Yeah, lets race" and I just stayed there while they take off. It is THEIR fault, not mine.

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It shouldn't even matter if I said "Yeah, lets race" and I just stayed there while they take off. It is THEIR fault, not mine.

I don't know if you would be liable in that situation (where you verbally said let's race, but didn't) Maybe.

Anyway, it gets even more unclear. Of course not every street race starts out as a standing start quarter mile with some big breasted prom queen dropping her scarf. Have you ever been on a highway and you see some kid spot you as he is just getting on the highway? That kid weaves like hell to catch you. We probably have all heard the phrase a chase is a race. (at least in the eyes of the law, it is) So, if you didn't know he was there, not your problem. If it could be proven you sped up to out run him, guess what, your in. That kid wrecks and your ass is on the line.