Strong smell of gas in 99 GTS

GmanSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll preface my question by saying...I did search the forums, and I'm a new owner. I know the smell of gas in the cabin is pretty common but I feel like its pretty significant in my 1999. With the windows up the cabin smells like roses with no trace of gas...with the windows open however it's so bad my eyes start to burn and I get a headache. The previous
owner tells me it has free flow cats. Any advice/suggestions? If it's part of the experience then I'm perfectly fine with it.

OP
OP
G

GmanSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't recall seeing any vents back there...I'll take a look around tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you lean your head in your trunk look straight right and left and you will see mesh in the carpet. Behind that mesh is vents. Pull the carpet back and make sure the vents didn't fall or aren't stuck open.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get the same thing, its because you have a de catted exhaust system, If you put the OEM cats back in you will not get the smells. But you will feel an increase in cabin temp and the exhaust will not sound as good.

Have to say those rear trunk vents are a PIA mine drop out on a regular basis and Im not convinced the thin rubber flaps seal correctly.

I get it with the windows up or down.

Is there a way you can remove them for repair? Last time I looked there was a metal grid in front of them which I think is riveted on preventing you from removing them?

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get the same thing, its because you have a de catted exhaust system, If you put the OEM cats back in you will not get the smells. But you will feel an increase in cabin temp and the exhaust will not sound as good.

Have to say those rear trunk vents are a PIA mine drop out on a regular basis and Im not convinced the thin rubber flaps seal correctly.

I get it with the windows up or down.

Is there a way you can remove them for repair? Last time I looked there was a metal grid in front of them which I think is riveted on preventing you from removing them?

To remove the vents you have to pull the rear panel off your car (the panel that surrounds your taillights). Once that panel is removed the vents are easily removable. There are 2 vents on each side, and one or two of the flaps on my vents were slightly open, and on the opposite side of the vents there is a one way rubber flap. I had vents stuck open and the rubber flap had become unattached allowing raw exhaust into the cabin, a common problem. Remove the vents from each side. Seal off one set of vents, you don't need 2. Use duct tape for this. Reglue the one way rubber flap (you will see where the glue was before, use good glue. A lot of this stuff doesn't make sense as I say it but once you get in there it will and if I can find my photos I will post them.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes you can reach through your trunk area and fix them without taking off the rear body panel. It worked for me and might be worth a shot first.

OP
OP
G

GmanSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was able to access and secure the vents from the trunk. I appreciate all the help.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to hear you got it fixed. I think mine may have fallen down again and I'm thinking about using safety wire to secure the vents this time.