Succinct thoughts on the Gen V from all perspectives

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
  1. Gen I and II supporters- Love the car as it is closer to the curves and lines of the original that captured many many hearts but with current evolution (speed, weight, chassis developments etc).
  • - Bottom line- Go buy it if you can!
2. Gen I/II naysayers- "It doesn't looks as good as the 96-02 GTS and doesn't capture my soul so the power, interior, and advancements don't matter"
  • -Bottom line- Go buy a Gen II GTS
3. "I like the Gen III/IV because that is what captured my heart and I know I am in a minority but that's how I feel."
  • Bottom line- Go buy a gen III/IV
The Gen V is absolutely stunning. Perfect? No. But neither was the Gen I/II. The original GTS will most likely be the most beautiful viper ever. Perfection visually it's first time and won't be topped. However "Looks ain't all." If I could afford one, I would trade my GTS for one but I can't. However I have a beautiful 2000 ACR and it is all professionally polished out. It's all good. enjoy what you have.

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one thing I don't agree with is that the Gen-II GTS is "visual perfection". It was amazing for the time and I love the car, but many aspects of it look silly and dated by today's standards. Plus the interiors are garbage, their pedals ****, and they drive like crap. Sure they're fast and capable, but the experience stinks for anything much more than cruising around and getting attention. If you're taller then the car is even worse... I'm 6'4" and have never been comfortable in a Viper.

Seeing the new Gen-V with a real sized interior and a normal sized footwell has me very excited.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The one thing I don't agree with is that the Gen-II GTS is "visual perfection". It was amazing for the time and I love the car, but many aspects of it look silly and dated by today's standards. Plus the interiors are garbage, there pedals ****, and they drive like crap. Sure they're fast and capable, but the experience stinks for anything much more than cruising around and getting attention. If you're taller then the car is even worse... I'm 6'4" and have never been comfortable in a Viper.

Seeing the new Gen-V with a real sized interior and a normal sized footwell has me very excited.

Sounds like you are throwing in "ergonomical issues" with "visual perfection." Yes, some people think the GTS is a "Clown shoe." However, the majority of the public and viper owners LOVE and appreciate it's outrageous proportions. Of course certain aspects look dated like the lights and whatnot. However a 69 Camaro, Lambo Diablo VT, and C1/2 vettes are dated as well. However they are still considered some of the most visually appealing when compared to the entire generation and evolution of cars.

There is a reason that the new Viper has many styling cues of the GTS. If you truly study the lines of the Gen II and Gen V, you will see congruency issues with the Gen V. When you look at the original GTS, the lines flow perfectly.

Personally, I don't care about the interior as much as others do. Ergonomics don't factor in when I look at a car's aesthetics. But that's just me.

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No... I'm not combining the two. Just discussing them both. The front bumper, wheels and lights really date the car, but they can all be fixed. The essence of the car is timeless. I'm not huge on interior amenities, but being able to comfortably fit in the car and drive it is paramount. If I can't heel-toe and work the pedals I won't bother owning it.

The Gen-V car is right up my alley as it seems like it will be the best driver's Viper yet. Lighter, better gearing, better steering, better chassis, etc. etc. etc.

EDIT - To better illustrate my point take two cars:

1. A '96 GTS with Gen-V running gear and other updates

2. A new Gen-V car

Which one is more appealing to me? The actual Gen-V. I think the face-lift/modernization of the design only improves the car.

You must be registered for see images

vs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hear ya man. Like I said, I would have the car if I could afford it. It's looking like the best viper yet. I think it will drive up the values of all the cars as the tradition continues and the racing backing re-ignites. Maybe in the future I will get myself in a Gen V. I'm only 6ft tall so my Gen II fits perfectly! Get in that beast and enjoy it. I will be roaming the streets trying to find them out when they hit Detroit!

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No... I'm not combining the two. Just discussing them both. The front bumper, wheels and lights really date the car, but they can all be fixed. The essence of the car is timeless. I'm not huge on interior amenities, but being able to comfortably fit in the car and drive it is paramount. If I can't heel-toe and work the pedals I won't bother owning it.

The Gen-V car is right up my alley as it seems like it will be the best driver's Viper yet. Lighter, better gearing, better steering, better chassis, etc. etc. etc.

EDIT - To better illustrate my point take two cars:

1. A '96 GTS with Gen-V running gear and other updates

2. A new Gen-V car

Which one is more appealing to me? The actual Gen-V. I think the face-lift/modernization of the design only improves the car.

vs.

Nice post. Nice comparison pics. Gen 5 all the way. I would say, though, that my first mod would be to paint the grill cross hairs the color of the car. It would be interesting to have a photoshop expert do that for us.

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't see the edit in time. However, I actually am not a fan of that Gen V front end. either way, That is really a bad photo comaro because you don't get either of their true proportions. Plus the viper's best stance is the 3/4 view passenger side so the gas cap is exposed. The curves are just so much more pronounced. Again, looks can be subjective but they can also be universally accepted as well. Sure there are deviations to the rule but generally, the original GTS is considered a timeless design that only gets more appreciated in time. If you can, try to get a good shot of each car in the 3/4 stance. Bottom line; the Gen V is a winner. It's just a better car overall. I don't disagree. However, I can't disagree with the owners of a Gen II GTS and their love for it's raw design and representation of what the viper is all about. I can't even drive it's 500hp near it's limits. But I am grinning ear to ear each time I turn the key:)

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again... don't dislike the Gen-II car at all, but in comparison certain aspects of it look bulbous vs. the crisper/more taught Gen-V car. Looking at them from the driver's front 3/4 they look nearly identical from the behind the front wheel back...

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks to me like the Gen 5 should have been the Gen 3. A natural progression from the Gen 2. If you are out there Big-n-Italian, I agree with you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude