sudden brake squeal/slight vibration

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turned rotors (yes, there was plenty left. never been turned before), new ebc reds installed last spring.
I've put about 3500 miles on them and zero issues.
Yesterday I noticed a slight squeal and slight vibration (felt in pedal and steering) the last few mph before coming to complete stop.
I'm going to inspect this weekend. rotors are smooth, no visible evidence of a malfunction.

could a piston be sticking? other than checking to make sure all is tight, what should I check for?

Stonep185

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check for wheel hub wear. Mine wore out and the brake caliper began rubbing the rotor and made a squeaking noise, but there was also rotor scoring.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A slight warp might create the vibration....not sure about the squeal. Turned rotors are more prone to warping since there's less metal (duh) to dissipate the heat. Did you work the brakes hard at some point after the turning?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar thing happen when installing my previous EBC Red's. After some amount of miles there was a couple month period when as i slowed down to a stop they would make a slight vibration noise only from like 20-10mph(dont remember exactly). After a couple months the vibration went away. You could try re-beding your pads. Did you initially bed em in after installing?

Some good info on that here:
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-s...ions-and-procedures/stock-brake-system-bed-in

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-s...y-definitions-and-procedures/brake-pad-bed-in

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A slight warp might create the vibration....not sure about the squeal. Turned rotors are more prone to warping since there's less metal (duh) to dissipate the heat. Did you work the brakes hard at some point after the turning?

I can't remember exact measurements, but barely any material was removed. and they are well within OE spec. No "pulsing either". Did not work them hard. I'm a granny braker.

I had a similar thing happen when installing my previous EBC Red's. After some amount of miles there was a couple month period when as i slowed down to a stop they would make a slight vibration noise only from like 20-10mph(dont remember exactly). After a couple months the vibration went away. You could try re-beding your pads. Did you initially bed em in after installing?

THis is my 2nd set of EBC red. I really like them, and didn't have this issue first go around. Yes, I did "burnish" them. I thought about doing a "re-bedding" too after inspection.

So, apparently, no one thinks there is a possibility that a piston could be "lazy" and therefore not putting equal pressure on rotor?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can get rotors and pads red hot, thats not what warps rotors, getting them hot and comeing to a stop with your foot on the brakes at a stop warps them, so dont keep your foot on the brakes at a stop if you drive like you stole it.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't remember exact measurements, but barely any material was removed. and they are well within OE spec. No "pulsing either". Did not work them hard. I'm a granny braker.

THis is my 2nd set of EBC red. I really like them, and didn't have this issue first go around. Yes, I did "burnish" them. I thought about doing a "re-bedding" too after inspection.

So, apparently, no one thinks there is a possibility that a piston could be "lazy" and therefore not putting equal pressure on rotor?
no....................

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456