Suggestions for a SubWoofer for my stereo system

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O.K. I have a 2000 RT and I badly need a Sub or some bass. I have a 1000 watt system now.

Please tell me what brand/power/size of Sub would ENHANCE my system? I'm not a big Bass fan but a friend of mine said my system will sound 1000 TIMES LOUDER/CLEARER/BETTER with a good SUB.

My stereo has- at the moment- An Alpine CDA-9887/HI VOLT
A HERTZ HI-ENERGY 6.5 INCH COMP
AND AN ALPINE MRP-F450 VPOWER 40 and
a detachable cd player/radio face plate...I think its an Alpine too.

Also..would I put the Sub in the trunk too? No where else to put it,esp. in the summer..I leave my top off alot when I'm out in town and although the alarm is always on, I do not like the idea of someone seeing a sub sitting there in the car.

NO IDEA what all that means! lol. I am just copying it from my bill. thx guys!:D

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The RT/10 is not stereo friendly. You either have to fabricate an enclosure for between the seats, build a small floor mounted sub that fits under the passenger's cramped feet, or switch to a GTS.

DrDJ

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Subwoofer??? Just install a Belanger exhaust system and you'll have all of the thundering bass you'll ever need. :2tu:

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a footwell sub with a 10" JL Audio sub in my GTS. It sounds great it and it really doesn't take much legroom, probably 6 inches and the metal grille provides a nice foot brace. Only adds 20lbs. The sonic advantage is that bass while omni-directional still sounds best coming from in front of you. Putting a sub in the rear of a GTS(I know you have an RT/10) does not work nearly as well due to the sub competing with the exhaust. I haven't looked at an RT/10.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you put the sub in the trunk, make sure and block the air vents :)

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a footwell sub with a 10" JL Audio sub in my GTS. It sounds great it and it really doesn't take much legroom, probably 6 inches and the metal grille provides a nice foot brace.
That's great as long as your passenger is a midget or a young child.

.... The sonic advantage is that bass while omni-directional still sounds best coming from in front of you.
If the bass is omnidirectional then it shouldn't matter, right?

Putting a sub in the rear of a GTS(I know you have an RT/10) does not work nearly as well due to the sub competing with the exhaust. I haven't looked at an RT/10.
The simple fix is that you install a system loud enough to overcome road, engine, and exhaust noise. It's much easier to do that with a GTS as opposed to an RT/10. I can't believe that anyone would suggest an RT/10 is a better platform for a stereo system as you just did. Great job of spreading internet nonsense.

DrDJ

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A waste of money. I have listened to several high dollar systems in RT/10s and all of them sounded like crap. If a hi-fi system is an important aspect of your driving experience then you bought the wrong car.

OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no..I love my car, but if only another 200-300 bucks can make it sound better, I'll do it.

ps- It sounds pretty damn good now actually! You'd be surprised.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have a real problem here. Viper Tony is (as usual) correct. Hi-Fidelity in a Viper is a bit of a paradox. But, I faced the same issue with my STi. Get a Hsu subwoofer with suitable amp and you will be PLEASED!

djacob372

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's great as long as your passenger is a midget or a young child.

If the bass is omnidirectional then it shouldn't matter, right?

The simple fix is that you install a system loud enough to overcome road, engine, and exhaust noise. It's much easier to do that with a GTS as opposed to an RT/10. I can't believe that anyone would suggest an RT/10 is a better platform for a stereo system as you just did. Great job of spreading internet nonsense.

DrDJ

Reread his post, there's nothing in there about rt-10 vs. gts, just front installation vs. rear in a GTS!

djacob372

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A waste of money. I have listened to several high dollar systems in RT/10s and all of them sounded like crap. If a hi-fi system is an important aspect of your driving experience then you bought the wrong car.

Crap compared to a stock viper audio system? I doubt it, comparing it to other cars is off-topic. All car audio systems sound like crap compared to a good home audio system too, should we just give up on car audio altogether?

It's all relative. The stock viper sound system is horrific, a 1000% improvement can be made for very little money, who cares if it doesn't sound as good as my other car, it still sounds a lot better then it once did.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crap compared to a stock viper audio system? I doubt it, comparing it to other cars is off-topic. All car audio systems sound like crap compared to a good home audio system too, should we just give up on car audio altogether?

Ok, I'll rephrase it for you.

I have listened to many hi dollar RT/10 audio systems and choosing one over the other is like picking which pile of **** smells the best.

Better?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I'll rephrase it for you.

I have listened to many hi dollar RT/10 audio systems and choosing one over the other is like picking which pile of **** smells the best.

Better?

:rolaugh: I think I understand it myself now that you put some color on it.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think that customizing a setup in an RT would be more difficult than a GTS, but it can and has been done before.

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reread his post, there's nothing in there about rt-10 vs. gts, just front installation vs. rear in a GTS!

Try rereading the entire thread.

So you are saying that his post was off topic since it is not applicable to an RT/10? I believe that the passenger footwell of a GTS is no different than that of an RT/10. It would help if you applied a smidgen of common sense when reading.:dunno:

DrDJ

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21