Suggestions to improve airbox setup

regularsavings

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, it was pointed out to me that the air intake setup on my GTS is very poorly done --

You must be registered for see images attach

Does anyone have suggestions for what I can do to improve the situation? Specifically, I think I need to get rid of the curvy plastic connector tubing (which are already starting to fail) and get smooth tubes or something. What parts would I need to go forward with this? Or is there a better solution?

Thanks!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got any more pics (from a bit further back) Looks like you have a different intake manifold? I believe the air box you have was designed for the stock intake manifold so straight tubes would go to the throttle bodies.

Is this is a Gen 2 engine? Looks very modified?

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Poorly done is an understatement. I think what you have is a carbon fiber intake plenum with the clear plastic cover for looks. (pretty cool I must say) However, the design is for a Gen 3 or 4 engine. The airbox you have up front is the shape of a Gen 2 unit. The way that would normally run is from each exit of the air box into a pair of straight (not curving in as your picture) hoses/tubes that run directly into two throttle bodies. The intake manifold/plenum on the Gen 2 runs wide with two tracks. Here is a shot from an install I did on my car... ignore the arrows as they make sense for the install... but look at the intake and the two hoses/tubes.

In your case, that bend and corrugated tube has to be robbing you of power. Given the new intake, I have to imagine there is some serious work done there. I would look into either fabricating a plenum of some sort to smooth out the flow or some plumbing that might be better suited. For example, a pair of 45 degree elbows out from the air box and into the plenum might smooth out the transition and then a straight silicone tube.... You'll have to play there a bit.

I hate to say it to you and don't intend to be insulting in any way but whomever did the work should have thought through that plumbing a bit better.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats not the intake you all think it is. It looks like the individual throttle body racing GTSR intakes that are floating around out there in small numbers, similar to the Mclaren Viper's intake except shorter runners. Please post a better photo as I would like to see a better version of this.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post some pics of the throttle body and intake manifold please.....interest to see what kind of setup this is. Looks very cool :) As for the suggestions to get smooth tubes, they come in various shapes, so you can get ones with a 45 degree bend in them....

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ITB's... Sweet. :2tu:

You might be better off cutting a hole in the hood:)

ACR_VP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks just like the GTS-R intake, even with the hoses... Quick google, more info in this thread http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/643382-New-Viper-Owner-Curious-About-GTS-R-Mods

attachment.php

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Individual Throttle bodies....what a nice setup. Must have great throttle response, but must be a pain to clean :)

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That intake looks awesome! If you can tig weld, or find someone who can, you could make up some stainless pipes with the right bends to go from here to there. Your couplings just need to have enough flex to account for engine movement.

Tail lights

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Regular savings , glad to have you in the Washington club , C- Note Send me pictures of your motor yesterday. we are both very excited, As far as your air box goes, Yeah, there's room for a little improvement. I have several different styles of carbon fiber air box's is at my house,,that would work better than what you have. Let's get together, What's your schedule like? I'm not far from where you live.PM me with your phone number, or I think C- Note has my phone number.

OP
OP
R

regularsavings

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say it to you and don't intend to be insulting in any way but whomever did the work should have thought through that plumbing a bit better.

Thanks for your response. I agree, that part of the build does not seem well thought out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang