summer of racing events and tire wear

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am signing up for all of the Illinois racing events this year: 4 autocross, 3 road courses and 1 drag event. The issue is that I'm about to buy some new ps2's for the car, as the tire that are on it are rather hard (nearly snakbit last weekend :shocked: ). I am new to the car and have not raced previously other than richard petty racing school one day, so I am not going absolutely b@lls out at any event this year. The question is am I going to burn off this set of new tires doing these events? If so, what should I look to do, i.e. find a used set of race tires and a cheap set of rims?

Any help is appreciated.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Depends on hom much actual track time you get at the road course events and how many runs you make at the auto cross event. Tempature will also have a big impact as well as how much day to day driving you do. Hot days mean faster tire wear. A few runs at the drag strip won't contribute much wear. If you do a few 20/25 minute sessions at each roadcourse event, and maybe 5 or 6 autocross passes per event, you should be ok. You will definitely put some noticeable wear on the tires, but they should still have some life left.

However, if you plan to do that much racing, I would definitely suggest investing in some track rims/tires. A set of SSRs and Khomo R compounds are the way to go. Over 70 lbs lighter than OEM, far stickier and good for all three types of racing you mentioned. Both the rims and the tires are pretty reasonably priced. If you use them just for racing, they should last through the season.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would also expect some heat aging effects after a few road course events. I have not tried PS2's but normal Pilots get some serious heat aging after only 2 events.