Supports for Clamshell hoods

Iceman1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys i have a nice easy and simple fix to support your hoods as opposed to a broom Handle .
Dont laugh until youve tried it !
I was looking at the hardware store for some type of a steel rod or bracket to make up to support my hood so when the leaners are lying back on your car or the winds up it wont fall !

While walking through the plumbing section i looked over and saw the fix and chuckled to myself . There are these Copper straight lines that are 3/8 to 1/2inch that you use on your toilet about 18" to 24" long . [ i asked you not to laugh } but seriously if you take them and cut them to length they work great at next to no cost maybe 10 bucks . They are already chrome and since they are hollow i took a long threaded bolt slid up into it with a jam nut to use to adjust the length . Put the tapered seal end of it under the hood hinge and then set the bolt end against the weld beads on the aluminum cross member in front of the motor on my 97 GTS to support it against . i usually lift up on the hood with my back slightly in the wheel well when placing it so its where it needs to be and loaded while i do the other side .
I have had a ton of compliments and no one has picked up on it yet :2tu:.
Tip: scotch tape the jam nut to the tube so the bolt doesnt fall out when placing them .

Im sure a few of you will S#%t on my idea but then thats ok i have the plumbing already in place ! LOL

OP
OP
I

Iceman1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Here you go !

OP
OP
I

Iceman1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put one on each side of the spare tire in the slot sometimes. Or in a leather bag with some rags and detail spray .
There only about 21 1/2 " long over all .
Tip : Not together as they will rattle .
Hey its a quick fix and serves the purpose for less than 20 bucks ! Obviously they can be bent ' but in a straight line they are plenty strong .