Surprised no one ever made 17" 5 spoke replicas in a larger size?

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the factory '97 polished 5 spokes, there's so much detail in the way the wheel is designed compared to other generations' factory wheels. With all the wheel replica companies out there, I'm surprised no one ever made these into an 18" replica set or 19" (rear) replica set. The Gen3 wheels look nice on our Gen2's, but sometimes when you compare the details of the designs, you can see the nice intricacy of the factory 97's.

I sometimes love the 17" size and the fat tires that are on them, and then sometimes I look at them along with the wheel gap and think meh. Heck, even my 1:18 model car comes with larger sized factory wheels and a drop....

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Company by the name of Kosman Specialties widens and enlarges wheels. I have them do motorcycle wheels all the time. For example we send a 17"x 6" rear wheel and have it enlarged and widened to 18" x 13". Their work is 100% legit and looks factory when they get done.

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Company by the name of Kosman Specialties widens and enlarges wheels. I have them do motorcycle wheels all the time. For example we send a 17"x 6" rear wheel and have it enlarged and widened to 18" x 13". Their work is 100% legit and looks factory when they get done.

Think the problem lies in the quality of the Factory 96-98 17" wheels. They break easily under track conditions. They would have to remake the wheel in aftermarket. Enlarging an already weak wheels would just compound the problem.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think the problem lies in the quality of the Factory 96-98 17" wheels. They break easily under track conditions. They would have to remake the wheel in aftermarket. Enlarging an already weak wheels would just compound the problem.

I was told the later forged 17' wheels don't break.

gtex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also intersted in such a wheel. esepcially now that the 335/35r17 tires are getting harder to find and pretty pricey. I like the stock wheel look.

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agree that the oiginal 1996-1997 wheels have a great look. ACRs are a nightmare to keep clean and the 18in wheels are too plain. 19s would be great. 1996 wheels are cast, but the 1997 wheels are forged and hold up on track. 19's would also better fill the wheel wells.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always thought this for the Gen1's. Would love to see those unique 3-spokes in 19". If i had a Gen1 i would contact a CNC wheel maker and work with them on making it happen.

More than happy with my Gen2 rolling on HRE's though, and no desire to see those oem 5-spokes in a larger size.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Not really. The forged 5 spokes hold up very well. It was the cast 5 spokes that broke or cracked easily. I have the forged 5 spokes, and I personally don't like them and have turned them into track rims. I would personally love a set ACR BBS rims, but I've got a set of Sidewinder II's on order to cure my "problem." I'll be the first to post pics of Sidewinder II's on a GEN2 GTS since no one stepped up to the plate.

OP
OP
V

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the new Sidewinder II and Venom wheels, just not happy that they mess with the front width and offsets to the point where I don't know if I'll like it.

OP
OP
V

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to send out a few feelers and see if I get any responses for an 18/19 replica set. I'll let you guys know....

BOMBOVIPER93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to send out a few feelers and see if I get any responses for an 18/19 replica set. I'll let you guys know....
Start your search with D2 forged...He is a great guy...Loves doing custom stuff and one point (not sure about currently) was an active member with a gorgeous Red Gen 3 convert.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R