SVS heading to the Maxton Monster Mile

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We made some changes to our Viper TTRS since we first ran it at the drag strip the end of last season. Basically the car sat over the winter with our changes waiting to be tuned while we worked on customer’s cars.

We took out the auto and right now it is set up with a T56 and strengthened internals for running the standing mile. The last time we were at Maxton (2001) we used a completely stock T56 and during our second run we overpowered and destroyed 2nd gear. We still went on and ran over 197mph without 2nd gear! At that time we had a lot less power than we do now.

A big thanks to Kevin at UGR who supplied us with a Mcleod twin disc clutch, PP and flywhl, just in time for us to get prepared for Maxton.

The biggest improvements we added are the JM Striker CNC race heads. These heads are amazing and have increased the efficiency of our front mount twin turbo system dramatically. During our initial tuning session today with the new JM Striker heads we made 1488rwhp @ 17psi (SAE) We will tune for more boost when we get back and focus a great deal on preparing for the Pump Gas Drags. We will be tuning with water injection and 93 for the first time.

We will go fast at Maxton! :cool:

It’s great to finally get out of the shop and go race! :2tu:

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu: GO SVS ! All the best at the Maxton mile.

I will look forwards to hearing how you did, >200mph... :cool: :headbang:

Are you running with OE ratio 6th gear?

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck Ron Sr. and Ron Jr. the parts you sold me for my GTS are still working flawlessly. Testament to your excellent product and craftmanship at SVS. Real interested in watching you guys run at the pump gas drags. When and where will they be held?

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
with 1500 rwhp and a 6-speed trans i assume you are running the stock 3.07 gear or even a 2.73 gear out back? what kind of tire do you plan on runnin? if you get traction off the starting line you should be able to hit at least 220 mph. the shutdown area is real short from what i hear. if i was you i would pack a parachute :2tu:

OP
OP
S

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Nadine! We're running a different combination than what we did in 2001

FH, We'll continue to work for comments like yours

FF, We have 2 parachutes on the back!

We plan to go fast, be safe and definitely have a good time getting away from Chicago cabin fever.

Here's a link to some video we took yesterday during tuning. The exposure on the camera viewer looked good but it ended up dark. I'll post the dyno sheets and maybe a screen shot from the datalog on the Motec. It shows a briek spike to 19psi and then dropping back to below 17psi and then holding at 17. This ***** wants to scream and doesn't want to be regulated by boost control. It's awesome how smooth it idles after the run and is ready to go again :cool: :laugh:

You might have to turn out the lights to see the boost guage. All 3 of the runs were at 17psi

Turn up the volume it's a screamer!

http://www.svspower.com/images/upload/video_62_0.wmv

:usa:

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron ....good luck with that run.....200 plus has got to be easy with that power, but whats the altitude ?

OP
OP
S

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maxton is in North Carolina and if you're anywhere near the area come out and watch the event.

They'll be running this Sat and Sun.

There will be many fast vehicles competing and this year Hot Rod magazine is covering the racing.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=&city=maxton+&state=Nc&zipcode=

OP
OP
S

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck Ron Sr. and Ron Jr. the parts you sold me for my GTS are still working flawlessly. Testament to your excellent product and craftmanship at SVS. Real interested in watching you guys run at the pump gas drags. When and where will they be held?

May 12th, 13th in Memphis Tenn.

Would be cool to have you there and watch the action!

futureacrowner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck guys and stay safe.

One thing, when doing the tuning for PGD I would pass on all water/**** injection as it's specifically not allowed.

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May 12th, 13th in Memphis Tenn.

Would be cool to have you there and watch the action!

--------------------
Would love to be there if I can, Ron Jr. I'll see if I have any cars that date needing to be transported down to NC. I'll talk to our nieghbors at Fox Valley Motor Cars to see if Bill or Jim Nuccio have any Lambos, Vipers or any other Exotics heading that way. I'll let you know. By the way I just had Jim McClains first edition SRT 10 coupe picked up in New Jersey and being delivered this weekend. He says he knows you and Ron Sr. Very nice guy and a Viperholic like me to boot.

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The shut down area is about half a mile long, so parachutes may not be a bad idea! Take pics and tell us how it goes! An in-car video of the run would be great. Drive safely, and good luck at the Mile! Could the track record (260 mph by a turbo Busa) be broken by one of the mega TT Vipers?

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The shut down area is about half a mile long, so parachutes may not be a bad idea! Take pics and tell us how it goes! An in-car video of the run would be great. Drive safely, and good luck at the Mile! Could the track record (260 mph by a turbo Busa) be broken by one of the mega TT Vipers?

not in this lifetime

S

SUN RA KAT

Good luck!

I'll be listening for the sonic boom when you run! :2tu:

futureacrowner

Enthusiast
Reaction score

not in this lifetime

Bullchit, I think it definitely can be done. Will take someone going to the next level, and working real hard to get the power to the ground. But i'd bet someone gets real close with in the next year.

SVS Tech1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OFFICIAL Results: SVS @ Maxton Mile (Saturday)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to bad weather, the event started later.

SVS was only able to make one run and ran 218.9 @ 13psi of boost.

The weather looks good for tomorrow, so some more runs will be made.

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congratulations, Thats got to be fun as hell. Good luck sunday :cool:

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

awesome! 13 psi = 1300 rwhp right?

futureacrowner

Enthusiast
Reaction score

awesome! 13 psi = 1300 rwhp right?

Seeing as they did 1488 at 17-19 psi I would think 13psi is quite a bit less than 1300rwhp.

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score

not in this lifetime

Bullchit, I think it definitely can be done. Will take someone going to the next level, and working real hard to get the power to the ground. But i'd bet someone gets real close with in the next year.

I think a TT Viper can eventually get to 261 mph in a mile, but probably not in the next year. Let's play with the numbers. A stock Gen II GTS can do around 175 mph in a standing mile, with around 400 rwhp. The mighty SVS turbo Viper can go 218 mph, or 43 mph faster than a stock Viper; this is with 1255 rwhp. So to get that extra 43 mph, the turbo car had to make 855 more horsepower than the stock Viper. A huge difference (over 3 times the stock power).

Now, for a Viper to get to 261 mph, that's another 43 mph faster than what the SVS Viper ran. So it will have to make at least double the power of the SVS, maybe triple, to be able to hit 261. Remember that as you go faster, the wind resistance increases exponentially (drag is directly proportional to both frontal area and automobile coefficient of drag, but is proportional to the square of velocity). So the power needed to go from 175 to 218 is less than the power needed to go from 218 to 261. This is rough guessing, as there are so many other factors in play, such as traction, gearing, cross winds etc.

So the "next level" you mentioned will be >3000 horsepower quad turbo bored/stroked Vipers!

Viper TT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how would you get all that power to the ground??? traction would be an issue even at 1700rwhp.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a stock viper does not do 175 mph in 1 mile. 165 mph is the best a gen 2 viper gts can do. by the time vipers get to 261 mph in the mile busas will be doin at least 280 mph

futureacrowner

Enthusiast
Reaction score

not in this lifetime

I think a TT Viper can eventually get to 261 mph in a mile, but probably not in the next year. Let's play with the numbers. A stock Gen II GTS can do around 175 mph in a standing mile, with around 400 rwhp. The mighty SVS turbo Viper can go 218 mph, or 43 mph faster than a stock Viper; this is with 1255 rwhp. So to get that extra 43 mph, the turbo car had to make 855 more horsepower than the stock Viper. A huge difference (over 3 times the stock power).

Now, for a Viper to get to 261 mph, that's another 43 mph faster than what the SVS Viper ran. So it will have to make at least double the power of the SVS, maybe triple, to be able to hit 261. Remember that as you go faster, the wind resistance increases exponentially (drag is directly proportional to both frontal area and automobile coefficient of drag, but is proportional to the square of velocity). So the power needed to go from 175 to 218 is less than the power needed to go from 218 to 261. This is rough guessing, as there are so many other factors in play, such as traction, gearing, cross winds etc.

So the "next level" you mentioned will be >3000 horsepower quad turbo bored/stroked Vipers!

Rough estimate is double speed you cube the HP. But that is just to sustain that speed, how fast you accelerate to that speed is a whole different animal. As we have all seen speed is directly proportional to HP, but in this scenario getting all that power to the ground is the hard part. The fact that all the cars that have run so far have been on big inch street radials doesn't help.

Driveline is the limiting factor right now. 5th gear is notoriously weak in the T-56 and Jr. found that out when they turned the boost up. Put a real trans in it and eliminate that problem. Maybe thats a 4spd auto, semi-clutchless manual, w/e you desire. But quit tinkering with the stock stuff and do it right.

The right trans, decent tires and there are many cars who will make 230 look like a trip to in-n-out. With what is being built i'd bet money more than one person will run 240 in 2006. And there is one car being built who may just be able to play with the busas :eek: It just takes a car thats built right. Get it to run 150 in the 1/8th and another 100mph in 7/8 isn't all that bad. IMO it's easier to get a car to 260+ than a bike to 280. Good luck keeping that bike on the ground and fighting the aero drag.

btw there was a 4dr ram truck that with a small block on dual quads ran 205 N/A, so that says something about using brain over muscle. Granted it was a 9500rpm $50k small block, but still.

Yes I do know of some cars being that are under the radar and going to the next 2 levels.

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rough estimate is double speed you cube the HP. But that is just to sustain that speed, how fast you accelerate to that speed is a whole different animal. As we have all seen speed is directly proportional to HP, but in this scenario getting all that power to the ground is the hard part. The fact that all the cars that have run so far have been on big inch street radials doesn't help.

Driveline is the limiting factor right now. 5th gear is notoriously weak in the T-56 and Jr. found that out when they turned the boost up. Put a real trans in it and eliminate that problem. Maybe thats a 4spd auto, semi-clutchless manual, w/e you desire. But quit tinkering with the stock stuff and do it right.

The right trans, decent tires and there are many cars who will make 230 look like a trip to in-n-out. With what is being built i'd bet money more than one person will run 240 in 2006. And there is one car being built who may just be able to play with the busas :eek: It just takes a car thats built right. Get it to run 150 in the 1/8th and another 100mph in 7/8 isn't all that bad. IMO it's easier to get a car to 260+ than a bike to 280. Good luck keeping that bike on the ground and fighting the aero drag.

btw there was a 4dr ram truck that with a small block on dual quads ran 205 N/A, so that says something about using brain over muscle. Granted it was a 9500rpm $50k small block, but still.

Yes I do know of some cars being that are under the radar and going to the next 2 levels.

Interesting you said that "Rough estimate is double speed you cube the HP", but then you said "As we have all seen speed is directly proportional to HP"...aren't those two statements a bit contradictory?

Anyway, you make it sound like it's really easy to hit 240+ in the mile. If it's so simple and straghtforward, how come no cars have done it yet? Lots of Supras, Corvettes, F-bodies, Mustangs, yet howcome no one has proven it at the big mile races? The SVS Viper is leading the car pack and is a serious team, and you make it sound like they are just playing around. I'm surprised that other Viper racers haven't asked you what records you've set or cars you've run at the mile races (or Bonneville).

The bike racers have mentioned that the Busa is quite stable at 261+ mph, and will be able to go faster. The Busa was shaped using a wind tunnel. Cross winds really make it tough, but that goes for all vehicles.

We all can't wait to see the cars that are "going to the next 2 levels". Is one of them yours? Should the Vipers be worried?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery