Swapping gen IV PCM with Mopar

khomes7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you swap pcms to the mopar pcm can you swap back and the original pcm not know? Just curious and I did not see anything during my search.

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have aQuestion:

Is it plug-n-play both ways? Can I install the Mopar PCM myself at home? or does it have to be instaled by a Dealership?
If I go back to stock ..same question.

Thanks Bob

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have aQuestion:

Is it plug-n-play both ways? Can I install the Mopar PCM myself at home? or does it have to be instaled by a Dealership?
If I go back to stock ..same question.

Thanks Bob

I believe on initial install of the MOPAR PCM it has to be done at the dealership but after that your should be good to go as far as plug and play.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can Stock and Mopar PCMs be swapped car to car or is there a VIN match / other check ?

My understanding from what I've seen on here is that once the Mopar PCM is tied to your car/VIN, it is that way for good, so there would be no way to sell it to someone else or even try it in another car.

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My understanding from what I've seen on here is that once the Mopar PCM is tied to your car/VIN, it is that way for good, so there would be no way to sell it to someone else or even try it in another car.

I was going to purchase a mopar pcm from someone. Can anyone confirm this?

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. It's still not clear though. On one hand Mark say's it's locked to the vin, but Dan Cragin has swapped them out to other cars. I will try to find out more info.

Let me know what you find out...now that I think about it, it wouldn't make sense to lock the PCM down to one VIN and never be able to change it, because all the tech would have to do is fat-finger the VIN and it would trash the entire thing.

kickinasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New PCM (Mopar) needs VIN written to memory to work. Once used (VIN installed) it can be assigned to a different car with same procedure. Just write the new VIN in. This requires the Mopar service tool.

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats great Info Guys.. Just need to find a Vipertech I can trust in Pam Beach to initialize it and maybe I would buy one....

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me know what you find out...now that I think about it, it wouldn't make sense to lock the PCM down to one VIN and never be able to change it, because all the tech would have to do is fat-finger the VIN and it would trash the entire thing.

Thanks for the info!

purplesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
New PCM (Mopar) needs VIN written to memory to work. Once used (VIN installed) it can be assigned to a different car with same procedure. Just write the new VIN in. This requires the Mopar service tool.

Hey Mark,

It was my understanding from having asked this question before, that you said this was not possible?:dunno:

Reaction score
Once the VIN is entered it cannot be changed, it is registered to that vehicle for tracking purposes, that's why Chrysler has you do it that way. It MAY work in another vehicle, BUT will not have a matching VIN. If a reseller has a mileage issue with a new car then the Mopar PCM and the stock PCM would give them total actual miles that car has been driven correct? If the registered PCM is used in a different car then who is to say that the mileage would not be falsified at resale? Just a thought, but that is why I think it is locked in when first mated to the VIN.

Hey Mark,

It was my understanding from having asked this question before, that you said this was not possible?:dunno:

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mark......If I bought a Mopar PCM from you ..gave you my vin# could you program it on your end..and then send it to me to install...would that work? or does it
have to be in the car for you to program it?

Thanks
Bob

Reaction score
Bob,

We have never done it that way so I cannot answer, but I don't have a non customer car here to even use to do it, it does need to be in a car to program though. Sorry

Mark......If I bought a Mopar PCM from you ..gave you my vin# could you program it on your end..and then send it to me to install...would that work? or does it
have to be in the car for you to program it?

Thanks
Bob