Swirls/Spider Webs in Paint?

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Around my car, mostly noticeable on my hood and on the roof and towards the rear ends of the car depending on the way the light hits it, you can see swirl-like spiderweb lines in the paint. You can see them when the sun light hits the car and when its parked under direct light at night. I just had the car taken to Xtreme Clean down in Weymouth, MA where they completely detailed the car, clay bar, wax, buff, wash etc., I watched them for most of the time and they seemed to do a pretty good job, from what people have said they always do a good job. However, the swirl marks are still within the paint on my car which I thought would be gone after the clay bar/wax/buff when getting detailed. Are these swirl marks in fact permanent in my paint right now, as in I need a new paint job to get them out? Or do you think this detailing place didn't do a good enough job to get them out, and in fact this is something that can be fixed. :confused:

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time to machine polish. I'm getting pretty good with my Makita bring that thang to Texas if you can handle the heat and we'll make it purdy.

That would be awesome... I can definitely handle heat, I'm a true Leo at heart. It would be one long and fun journey over there though haha. I'm sure my legs would cramp up from the heavy clutch and constant gas/braking motion from driving across the country. :smirk:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the swirls and spiders are really fine and not deep, there are some products out there that will minimize them after a few coats. I tend to avoid machine polishing at all costs - that's the kind of thing I'll do to a car when it's fifteen years old and the paint is damaged enough that some material needs to come off. I'd rather use one of those "gradually fills in the spiders" products than take part of the clear coat off to remove them. That's just me though - I'm sure a million people will disagree with that :)

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Proly did not do a good job? Could have asked to made sure that the "swirl" marks are gone when they are done?Maybe it is time to spent more time with her.

I did mine and it took me almost 2 days. Got all my wax, swirl remover, porter cable, foam pads, etc... from Autogeek.net and I'm glad I did it my self.

01_VENM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would use a Portal Cable 7424xp for those swirls mark. This is probably the safest polish machinery out there that any noobie can play with and will not burn the paint. I only use 3M products. You will be amazed after you're done. :)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then I guess I'm lucky that I didn't trash my car the first time I ever did anything like that with my Makita. ****** run, perfect results. From noob to cruising in a few hours, not days.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried it for the first time on my 09 ACR using the 7424 Griots polisher and the results were excellent. So easy a caveman can do it.

Bruce

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A lot of the swirls come from washing the car. There are a lot of techniques and products that can help you prevent these swirl marks.

You probably need to polish the paint to restore it. Hopefully the damage is just in the clear. If so, I recommend trying the Porter Cable.

Check out Adam's Polishes. There are a ton of videos and the forum is great.

I would recommend using a two bucket system and find one with grit guards. I use a foam gun prior to washing and it def. helps.

Use a seperate pad/mit to wash the lower part of your car. Use an old pad/mit to wash your wheels, calipers, and wheel wells.

I am an Adam's dealer and give great discounts to Viper guys. If you need anything or need any tips contact me or Junkman2008.

Good luck,

Eric Thompson

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adams is great, To remove fine scratches I use Mcquires light cut 80 with a random polisher on a foam pad. seems to polish out all light swirl marks and scratches. I have a black Viper so it's very easy to see any imperfections from a dirty wash rag or just a microfiber towel that is not perfectly clean. The hardest area is the trunk always seems to pick up something.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are many different products available that work well. I never said Adam's was better then another product. His products are very easy to use and give fantastic results.

I am a site sponsor and Viper owner. Are you?

I will not bicker or fight online. If you're trying to push people's buttons go elsewhere. Someone asked how to fix a problem. People gave possible solutions.

Brian_Brice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are many different products available that work well. I never said Adam's was better then another product. His products are very easy to use and give fantastic results.

I am a site sponsor and Viper owner. Are you?

I will not bicker or fight online. If you're trying to push people's buttons go elsewhere. Someone asked how to fix a problem. People gave possible solutions.

I just wanted to know the difference in the products design and work habits. Sorry you viewed it as an attack. I have never used the product you refered to so I am naturally full of questions about it.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would honestly prefer having it professionally done, rather then doing it myself. I just paid $100 which I feel was wasted since the only reason I got it detailed was to vaporize the swirls that are taking over my car :crying:

I don't mind maintaining my car and cleaning it myself which I do all the time, since I asked several questions at the place I had my car detailed on which cleaners to buy and the right ways to keep my car looking in excellent condition, but when it comes to completely detailing it, I would rather leave it in the hands of professionals. Apparently, I guess I'll have to find another detailing place in the MA/NH area. Most likely I'll post in my region's section to see where others have taken their car.

Richie_Carbone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
quote=costanZo;2853924]I would honestly prefer having it professionally done, rather then doing it myself. I just paid $100 which I feel was wasted since the only reason I got it detailed was to vaporize the swirls that are taking over my car :crying:

I don't mind maintaining my car and cleaning it myself which I do all the time, since I asked several questions at the place I had my car detailed on which cleaners to buy and the right ways to keep my car looking in excellent condition, but when it comes to completely detailing it, I would rather leave it in the hands of professionals. Apparently, I guess I'll have to find another detailing place in the MA/NH area. Most likely I'll post in my region's section to see where others have taken their car.[/quote]

For $100 you're not going to get much when it comes to removing paint defects like swirls holograms and random scratches. I charge $70/hr per time spent, the arerage paint correction will take anywhere between 15 - 20 hours and may take 40+ hours depending on how bad the paint is.

As mentioned earlier contact Rick and Ryan at Unique Car Care [email protected]

These guys will have your Viper looking better than the day it was purchased.

Last edited:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For $100 you're not going to get much when it comes to removing paint defects like swirls holograms and random scratches. I charge $70/hr per time spent, the arerage paint correction will take anywhere between 15 - 20 hours and may take 40+ hours depending on how bad the paint is.

That's good to know. Now I won't feel so bad when I quote $2000 to do a full correction and people start passing out! You have to educate your clientele so that they understand just how much work is involved. Most folks don't have a clue. That's why I would never do it for a living. That's hard work.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I thought $100 was a decent amount to pay for a detail. I will most certainly contact them to see how much they charge.

quote=costanZo;2853924]I would honestly prefer having it professionally done, rather then doing it myself. I just paid $100 which I feel was wasted since the only reason I got it detailed was to vaporize the swirls that are taking over my car :crying:

I don't mind maintaining my car and cleaning it myself which I do all the time, since I asked several questions at the place I had my car detailed on which cleaners to buy and the right ways to keep my car looking in excellent condition, but when it comes to completely detailing it, I would rather leave it in the hands of professionals. Apparently, I guess I'll have to find another detailing place in the MA/NH area. Most likely I'll post in my region's section to see where others have taken their car.

As mentioned earlier contact Rick and Ryan at Unique Car Care [email protected]

These guys will have your Viper looking better than the day it was purchased.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I thought $100 was a decent amount to pay for a detail. I will most certainly contact them to see how much they charge.

Richie is right on, $100 does not get you much more than a quick wash and cleaner wax these days. I also do paint corrections and they usually start at $350 and go up from there.

I have heard nothing but good about RickRack as well so if he is in your area I would definitely give him a ring. It is well worth the $500 or whatever it cost you to get your paint looking the way it should. Just make sure you ask him how you should be maintaining it with the proper materials and wash techniques etc so you can keep it looking that way.

You will want to use the two bucket wash method and look into buying an electric leaf blower to use for drying your Viper. Once it has a nice coat of sealant or wax on it the water will blow right off. What little is left over hit with a nice soft waffle weave drying towel.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just sent Rick an email. I was told he was located in Wakefield, MA which is only about 15-20 minutes away from me. :)

Richie is right on, $100 does not get you much more than a quick wash and cleaner wax these days. I also do paint corrections and they usually start at $350 and go up from there.

I have heard nothing but good about RickRack as well so if he is in your area I would definitely give him a ring. It is well worth the $500 or whatever it cost you to get your paint looking the way it should. Just make sure you ask him how you should be maintaining it with the proper materials and wash techniques etc so you can keep it looking that way.

You will want to use the two bucket wash method and look into buying an electric leaf blower to use for drying your Viper. Once it has a nice coat of sealant or wax on it the water will blow right off. What little is left over hit with a nice soft waffle weave drying towel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950