Synthetic oil question.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't go by color. Engine oil contains dispersant; additives that pick up and hold degradation products in suspension. They also carry foreign entry substances (like soot entering a diesel engine crankcase.) If not for dispersants, the "stuff" would settle and cause sludge puddles inside the block, restricting oil flow back to the pan, occasionally being dislodged and blocking the oil screen, and generally causing problems with the life of the oil. Having dispersants, and changing your oil periodically, ensures that the inside of the engine stays clean. You could say that a better oil turns darker sooner than a lesser oil. The right way is a used oil analysis looking for wear metal levels, glycol, and viscosity.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tom, not to hijack this thread, but while you're here........

Mobil has a Mobil 1 Truck and SUV oil that they told me has more additives / better additive package, and was actuallly better than the standard M1.
I would guess that this is similar to a "diesel" lubricating synthetic oil.
What do you think about using this in the Viper?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Tom, is there a benefit and is it better to use this oil in a gas engine cost not withstanding?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I use the Delvac 1 and have had excellent UOA results (Used Oil Analysis), though not significantly above good old standard Mobil 1.

Perhaps an extra margin of safety?

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, what is your opinion on using Shell Rotella oil in the Viper? I've been using Rotella is just about everything for the past few years, that extra zinc or ? which is good for diesel engines.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Search my rteally old posts and see I advocated diesel oils long ago and have used the mineral oil 15W40 of Rotella, Delvac, or Delo year-round.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just go with Mobil 1 10w30. With a stock Viper, I just take Dodge's recommendation. Afterall, they should be the ones who know the car best

That IS what we are talking about............

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't mix oils. 50% of brand A additives plus 50% of brand B additives does not give 100% performance.

In your engine oil selection decision making process consider this - what level of zinc and phosphorus was in the oil that was used to design the engine? And what is in the oil now? And no, Mobil 1 won't have any more Zn and P that the other guys.