T-56 synthetic transmission fluid?

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking about installing a Hurst shifter, might as well change the tranny fluid at the same time. Anyone know if the stock tranny fluid is synthetic or not - if not, any suggestions on a good synthetic fluid to replace the stock fluid?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I assume that you mean a Gen III (though the systhetic fluid came with the 1999-2002 as well...labled as "Castrol Syntorq in the owner's manual)...yes, the "factory fill" transmission fluid is indeed "synthetic"...specifically Mopar's "Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant 75W/85".

A "search" will show you that some have encountered tranny problems when switching fluids here...seems that I remember seeing complaints with the Mobil product... http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=586216&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

and I have heard even more negative things about the Redline product...
http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=585948&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

I do believe some have commented favorably on Amsoil.

Why do you feel that you need to change?

I'm sure that others will add a LOT MORE here.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Listen to Stevie , he is a master of fluids. Is your car new, or how many miles are on it, as this would determine if you should change it ( along with a visual inspection). I would follow Steve's thoughts and you are safest just using factory.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't there also some sort of friction additive required in addition to the oil?

(Maybe I'm confused and that's for the stock diff.)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Use the Castrol Syntorq. It is the factory fill. It can be hard to find other than at dealers. It takes the heat extremely well, which is critical in this car.

OP
OP
S

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I should have clarified - mine's a 2004 with 10K on it, the only reason I was considering changing tranny fluid was if the stock fluid was not synthetic I thought it might benefit to put synthetic fluid in it. Appreciate the posts, I'll leave it alone until it needs to be changed, thanks!

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Amsoil and have had no problems or complaints. My father is a dealer so I use a lot of their products.