Tack welding tips

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any tips on tack welding corsa exhaust. Did you guys cover doors with tape? Going to buy ans install the system. Any pointers would be nice. Got a little 90 amp welder coming from HF.
THANKS

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would Just drill a small hole then tap the threads and install a stainless machine screw that way you can still remove it one day.

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only tip I can give you is on the welder.... You will get HF quality welds from a HF welder. Even an experienced welder will have pretty ****ty results with a flux core HF MIG, and usually... Experienced welders wouldn't even use it :p

That said, if all your going to be doing is a couple of spots & it is a flux core, cover anything in the immediate area. Test it out on some scrap first so you know where to put the power setting and feed setting at to produce the best spot with the correct *********** based on your style. Flux cores really spatter compaired to a gas system.

OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ive decided after using this welder on some scrap welds to forget the attempt to tack my Corsa's. For what Roanoke wanted for the install, i have no problem with driving there to get it done once.
Even though its 120 miles away, its a great little ride and a better dealership. Wish everyone could expirience a dealer like this. And they have one of the best viper techs in the country.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good muffler shop maybe? Some of those guys weld all day long and are quite skilled at doing it. Dealers, how often do they do exhaust work/welding?

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good muffler shop maybe? Some of those guys weld all day long and are quite skilled at doing it. Dealers, how often do they do exhaust work/welding?

What he said! Dealers don't weld....................................

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did my own welding using a small 110v portable MIG unit. A low voltage/amperage MIG unit will give you the results you need and will produce clean fillet weld without the worry of flying weld metal. TIG is an even better option but of course, that's reserved for the more skilled and not suitable for a home project due to the power requirements. Didn't produce much weld spatter but I did cover the door sil area with a small blanket as a precaution. You only need about a ~ 3/4" long weld per side and it should only take about five seconds to complete each one. I used ER70S-6 wire with Argon shielding gas.

F

FrgMstr

Don't need tack welds if you use a good clamp....NOT the "fancy" ones that come with the kits. Go down to the auto parts store and buy a couple of old style U bolt exhaust clamps. Took all the movement out of my catbacks.

OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dave has done this many times, and he has installed countless exhausts. I need to put some miles on the car anyway. I know i could of done this, but figured by the time i drive there and drive home after the install, it would be about the same. lol

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did my own welding using a small 110v portable MIG unit. A low voltage/amperage MIG unit will give you the results you need and will produce clean fillet weld without the worry of flying weld metal. TIG is an even better option but of course, that's reserved for the more skilled and not suitable for a home project due to the power requirements. Didn't produce much weld spatter but I did cover the door sil area with a small blanket as a precaution. You only need about a ~ 3/4" long weld per side and it should only take about five seconds to complete each one. I used ER70S-6 wire with Argon shielding gas.

There's no issue with using a TIG at home except the inital expense of the welder. My Syncro 250DX can pull up to 88 Amps at 220v, but that's on the extreme end of the max setting, like 3/8 in plate aluminum. Doing a roll cage or similar steel is so much lower on the amp range, less than 40 usually. With the new portable TIGs ( the smaller inverter units ) they weigh less than 50 pounds on average, and are much nicer on the amp scales. Mine is an older tech coil unit, but it is rated for a 100% duty cycle... The smaller ones ar usually at 20% or so duty cycle. Just saying that working with a TIG at home should no longer be an issue for most "Enthusiasts" :)

Wikkid, keep playing with the little welder, you'll get pretty good with it eventually.... Then you'll buy a good one and be that much better for it. I picked up a used Millermatic 210 and it's fantastic. When you get it setup for the material, it's like frying bacon producing very good welds.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did you use 100% argon or a mix with CO2 or oxygen? Just curious.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang