Tail light lens removal?

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have my service manual on the way, but in the mean time, can someone tell me how to remove the rear lenses from an '01 GTS?

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a hammer and chisel :nono:.....if I remember correctly you will have to open the hatch and remove the panel with your rear speakers and gently push the side panels out of the way to the point where you can access the screws for the tail light, I remember reading that it is very easy to break the mounting hardware on the lights, hope this gives you a starting point

OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does ... not something I want to take lightly if the word 'break' shows up anywhere. I'm going to put tint on the back lenses (from Blue Batmobile) and was thinking that I could do a better job by removing the lenses. I think I'll just leave them in place and tuck the extra between the lens and body.

I've already done the clear side markers with a smoke tint and they look nice. I'm tinting the back with a light smoke 3-M tint film from Bat and the headlights with Lamin-X to give them some protection. I heard that a headlight assembly costs $1,200 per side ... I think I'll try to protect them a little!

Last edited:

jojogts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its very easy, Just pull back the carpet where the rear speaker covers are. There are 5 rubber plugs on each side of the car to access the lights remove them and with a deep socket unscrew the plastic nuts. Thats about it they will slid out with ease.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use a bit of sticky tape on the end of the socket to stop the black plastic nuts dropping down into a void. Same when you come to replace them.

This pic might help you

You must be registered for see images

Mark
:uk: