Taking off Cats Healthy or advisible for better sound?

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will notice a lot more noise, considerable odor, and greatly reduced heat if you remove your cats. You will also notice a drain in your pocketbook if the cops catch you.

The generally recommended way to go is to install some high flow cats (Random Tech makes good ones).

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does goin to 3" cats hurt the power at all. specifically im talking about the loss of back pressure, my observation is that the cats dont free up a great deal of power as you would think, but has anyone noticed a loss of power?

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
motor602,

Not at all! It seems more responsive and sounds much better. No dyno results but certainly no way it lost power.

Rich :2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously if your state has inspections you might have a problem going catless. Most folks remove the rear muffler for a bit better sound.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Taking off Cats Healthy or advisible for better sound?

I gained 15 rwhp with no cats!!! Plus it sounds so bad-ass!!!

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I did a some "sound" testing regarding exhauste:
Check this:

- Rear muffler replaced with straight pipe, cats on => great sound

- Rear muffler and cats replaced with straight pipe: Very agressive sound, can't even listen to stereo. However shaping the pipes could have helped. Depending on how your pipes are installed and their lenght, they can transform your trunk into a giant subwaffer.

- Rear muffler on, No cats: good sound, not too noicy and the best is : NO HEAT PROBLEMS in the cockpit ! => Best mod. This is what I am using at present. In addition when cops are checking the cars the only thing that they can see is the large Mopar logo on my rear muffler. Once they saw the Mopar logo they stop investigating ... :)

One very important thing. No cats => bumper fire ... Better to be awere that excess fuel will burn on your bumper. You could even burn a spectator behind your car ... Never start or rev your car without cats when you have spectators behind your car !

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Ohiofire, if you are close to Xenia you can hear and smell mine, B&B headers, Corsa, NO cats. I don't smell anything different without the cats and I love the sound. Send a PM if you want to see the car.
Tony

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The crowd loves it when I rev up my Viper because flames spit out of the exhaust. I must add it does look really cool.