Tell me what its like

Zrxpilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im sitting here in a hotel in Taipei waiting for a flight home. As most/some of you know I bought a project viper10 days or so ago. Have yet to see it in the last week let alone drive it which I cant until I yank the tranny from the unit. Im starting to get sick of thinking about it.

Anyways, been burying myself in websites gathering knowledge but have yet to come accross a noob report that didnt sound like it was funded from Road & Track magazine......

Cut the crap. Is this viper really up up to the hype? Ive driven countless mustang gt's, ride the **** out of a 450 lb rigid with a 113" s&s motor, hd v-rod, a 2k Polaris xrr 800 (think tripple pipe, tripple carb,variable exhaust 155 hp @ 550 lbs), and ridden countless crotch rockets over the years. Spent 3 seasons running BIR on the old long track. Everything up to now has bored me. Im hoping this rig will be the exception. Will it be?

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you visit Taipei 101?

Well if the stock set up is not enough for you throw on a Roe then see how you like it. If that's not enough get some turbos and you will be smiling with delight.

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why don't you throw in a few more acronyms to impress everyone? Do you think Vipers got their reputation not to mention their success on the track from non-performance?:nono:
BTW, why don't you tell us why you are Taipei?
PAvenom RT/10

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From my perspective, unless the Mustangs you had/drove had over 500rwhp, you won't be bored. However, seeing as you've had 10 sec (or sub 10 sec) crotch rockets, and IF those 'stangs were modded '03/'04 Cobra's, well, you MAY be a bit bored. I will say that no car will stimulate your senses more than a GEN2 Viper, especially driving an RT/10 with the roof off (is there any other way?). With the wind, the noise of the exhaust, the vibrations, the heat (ha!), the smells - it's one of the closest things to a bike, minus the deathwish!;)

I really like my Viper, but I don't love it (yet) because my previous car was a 560+RWHP C5 Z06, so my RT/10 feels slow in comparison. Yes, I will hopefully remedy this my throwing a blower on it, finances ( and tax return) permitting!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good buddy of mine (Evan Smith )is the Editor of Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford mag.Evan also has been known to take a few Vipers i have owned(basically every generation) for a spin .If you want give me a call at 732-977-7244(Joe) and i get Evan to call you to get his perspective on the differences between the two cars.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the car isn't a stock GTS, correct? I saw the ad on the Alley (ad is gone, but post about it is here (CHEAP 97 B/W GTS ROE, AEM, NOS in classifieds. - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum), and this thing has headwork, a Roe and nitrous on it (unless the owner pulled it before the sale). The previous owner got booted from the track for running sub-11 seconds at the quarter AND braked at the end.

Video here:
Viper having to let off becuase of no cage, went t- Video

A gentleman down here with a Gen. I with a similar setup is somewhere in the 700-800HP range (built motor, nitrous, Roe) so that car should be plenty fast.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You may have your work cut out for you. When I drove that car years ago it did not seem right. I am sure it is nothing that a good tune up wont take car of but just remember mods are like drugs. Once you start you cant stop :)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is a solid car. About as bulletproof as a car can get. But by saying "project car" it sounds like you bought something trashed. Dunno. If so, then expect the same problems you'd have with any other trashed car, except the Viper is the easiest car to work on since the 60s.

OP
OP
Z

Zrxpilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gads, rereading the post I think I should apologize. I didnt mean to come off so harshly/arogantly. Thanks for all the positive comments.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 500hp Stealth Twin Turbo AWD, a 750hp Duster and whack of other cars. The least boring of these is my bigger hp Viper. The Viper is so exciting that it can swap ends faster than you can think. You can be going backwards right after you realized that you lost traction in 4th gear. (Nitrous can be dangerous). As a matter of fact my ZX11 was more exciting, but I didn't "Dodge" fast enough and someone 'got me'. Not my kind of excitement any longer. Now I run a modified 1,000cc Artic Cat when the Viper's parked.

Ted

Ted

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im sitting here in a hotel in Taipei waiting for a flight home. As most/some of you know I bought a project viper10 days or so ago. Have yet to see it in the last week let alone drive it which I cant until I yank the tranny from the unit. Im starting to get sick of thinking about it.

Anyways, been burying myself in websites gathering knowledge but have yet to come accross a noob report that didnt sound like it was funded from Road & Track magazine......

Cut the crap. Is this viper really up up to the hype? Ive driven countless mustang gt's, ride the **** out of a 450 lb rigid with a 113" s&s motor, hd v-rod, a 2k Polaris xrr 800 (think tripple pipe, tripple carb,variable exhaust 155 hp @ 550 lbs), and ridden countless crotch rockets over the years. Spent 3 seasons running BIR on the old long track. Everything up to now has bored me. Im hoping this rig will be the exception. Will it be?
I'm in Taiwan a couple times a year on busines. It's great there. I highly recommend it as a vacation spot.

Good luck with your Viper, and yes... it's all you've heard and then some.