Tell me why you want large 4-piston Brembo/StopTech/SRT *REAR* calipers?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 3 fronts, which are 4-piston calipers with 44 and 40 mm pistons, are larger than the Gen 1/2 fronts, which are 42 and 38 mm pistons. For the same amount of brake line pressure (how hard you press on the pedal) you will get more clamping force. To displace the increased fluid volume, the pedal travel will be very slightly longer. If the requirement for “more effective” brakes is more clamping force, you will get some. Unless the mass of the fluid+caliper is larger I don't think you will see that Gen 3 brakes are "more effective" in dissipating more heat. (Gen 3 cars may have lower front brake temperatures simply because their larger rear brakes are doing more work.)

Knowing that single piston 40mm rear calipers balance the front to rear clamping force pretty well, and that ABS cars in 2001-02 use a single piston 43 mm rear caliper, empirically the ratio of "ideal" front to rear clamping force is somewhere around having 42/38mm 4-piston fronts and 40 to 43mm single rears. (Note: the ratio of front to rear, not commenting on the absolute size.) Anything larger at one end of the car then has to have the appropriately increased brake at the other end of the car.

Aha! Then how come there are huge 4 piston calipers in the rear of the SRT and other cars? How come Gen 2 cars want to put Gen 3 rears on the back? Or mount their old front calipers in the rear? Well, in combination with the proportioning valve or ABS, the car will end up using only a fraction of the larger rear caliper's clamping force capability. The only time you may actually notice larger rear brakes is when the car is moderately braking (no ABS or prop valve behavior engaged) and consequently you will have more rear brake action than in a car with smaller rear brakes. I suppose it “sets” the car differently when braking for a turn. (I hope someone chimes in and can comment about this.) However, using more of the rear brakes than what the ideal balance of the car wants will cause rear lock-up, entry oversteer, or other interesting phenomena similar to trailing throttle oversteer.

Then why are larger rear calipers used? Heat capacity is an obvious answer, not just for the caliper and the fluid, but allows for a larger size brake pad. Also, single piston calipers have some mechanical system to allow the caliper to float or slide over the rotor, which may bind or get cocked, whereas pistons on both sides of the rotor allow for a stiffer caliper attachment and more even brake pad application.

But in the end, it's still converting kinetic energy into heat and rejecting the heat, and doing so at each wheel that maintains the driver's control over the trajectory of the vehicle. In that simplistic description, if you could design a dinky caliper but with a tremendous cooling system, you'd still have good brakes.

I'm very open to listen to everyone’s experience, and not trying to poke anyone in the eye over what system they have on their car. But I am interested in the benefits of large rear calipers.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I do mine I will go stop tech 4 wheel because it is a well engineered,tested,proven system.Lighter in weight.More heat disiaption.Brakes are not a good place to experiment.I could be convinced of course by viper days participants switching to the various gen 3 conversions because they were found to be superior.Yep,stop tech are expensive and non-viper.But the viper is expensive and brakes are not a good place to cheap out. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce, let me ask the details:

What is the specific desirable feature that the large, 4-piston rear caliper provides, in your opinion?

I think, and perhaps with your purchase you can ask, that the StopTech rotor is what provides the improved heat dissipation.

A recent technical paper by the Society of Automotive Engineers actually showed that aluminum calipers will transfer more heat to the brake fluid than cast iron, so heat "transfer" (rather than dissipation) can also lead to fluid boiling. Heat transfer is a double edged sword.
http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=483643&Forum=UBB14&Words=society%20automotive&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=483643&Search=true#Post483643

I didn't mean to make this a cost comparison, so "cheap" is off the agenda. I want to know what people get out of multi-piston calipers in the rear.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,

I know where you're going here and, while you are 100% correct, you're going to get flamed when you tell folks monster rear brakes are nothing but an expensive way to add a bunch of extra iron to accelerate and decelerate.

Besides, pinner little brakes just look dorky.

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Tell me why you want large 4-piston Brembo/StopTech/SRT *REAR* caliper

jrkermode, no, I'm not looking to poke anyone in the eye. Just because I am raising the question doesn't mean there isn't an advantage. Maybe it leads to designing a larger pad for the OEM caliper, or casting the OEM caliper in aluminum? I am stubborn enough to come up with something that works in a non-traditional way, but want to know what the performance requirements really are.

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Besides, pinner little brakes just look dorky.

So I just need to find a way to make little brakes not look dorky... hmmm... ;)

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I barely know caliper pistons from beer bottle tops.Experimentation and brake engineering is not my thing and way beyond me.If in doubt I will do what the racers do.That seems to be stop tech at this point.I assume they are lighter with the correct balance and run cooler.If a better system comes along the racers will have it.I admire your ingenuity,interest and expertise in such maters.My current lowly set up is stock with srf fluid and air deflectors.Seemed to be a good way to start.I'm waiting for stoptech to come up with gt-3 brakes.All the racers will dump their current stoptech for the new ones and they may become a great low cost used or rebuilt upgrade. GTS Bruce

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The size of the pistons in the calipers is just one variable in designing a brake system. There are alot of variables in designing a brake system. Also there are aways compromises.

Basicaly when I upgrade brake systems I look to reduce brake fade under continous hard use, pad life and balance. Those are the main things but there are many other variables.

When you go to a larger rotor it is like using a pry bar for leverage. It takes less energy to stop the wheel if all other variables remain unchanged. As far as going to a 4 piston caliper it is mainly for the larger pad. The larger the pad you use the longer the pad life will be and you will also have more stoping power with less work. When you do less work you create less heat. One of the bad things about using larger rotors and calipers is the increase in unsprung weight which is very bad. This goes to aluminum vs steel calipers and why race brake systems use alu hats and some may even cross drill the rotors. AS far as the size of the pistons when you buy calipers from the manufacturer you have a choice of piston sizes. You should also use a porportioing valve to adjust brake bias and use the correct master cylinder.

There are just to many variables to discus here. And I have seen some poorly designed brake systems. You should check out some books on the subject. They make some great ones. I have about 3 or 4 just on brakes.

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll keep stirring the ***...

GTSBruce, experimenting is my thing, lots of fun, and this is the information gathering part. Stuff you guys say may click an idea for the next big thing!

cgmaster, agree that heat and fade are the big issues, but if you have to go to 4-piston calipers in the rears to reduce heat means you'd have a far larger problem in the front. Simple math would say a two-piston 28mm caliper is enough clamping force.

Someone should look for a two piston-opposed design 28mm caliper? It would be enough brake, be lighter, wouldn't run any hotter than the front...

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i would like to use the srt-10 gen 3 brakes on the front of my year 2001 acr which has abs. then i would take my stock gen 2 front brakes and use them on the rear. the srt-10 gen 3 front brakes are bigger than the gen 2 front brakes. so by using the srt-10 gen 3 brakes up front i would have bigger brakes in the front and smaller brakes in the rear just like i do stock. but as you can see the entire brake system has been uspsized with altering the brake proportions as minimally as possible. the only thing i am concerned about is will i have enough master cylinder with the stock gen 2 to make everthing work correctly. if not i will use the srt-10 gen 3 master cylinder.

whats your guys opinions on this?

i see that ted may at valaya racing is using srt-10 gen 3 brakes on gen 2 vipers both front and rear with the stock gen 2 master cylinder. so i would assume that my stock master cylider would work with the setup i want do?

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Using an opposed piston caliper would only provide clamping force to an area of the pad equal to the size of the piston. This means a smaller pad would have to be used. Now if you had both of the pistons on one side of the caliper you would end up being able to use larger pads. This would make the brakes work more efficiently because of the larger contact are between the rotor and larger pads. As far as what sizes the master cylinders need to be there is a basic formula that you use to get in the right general area. After that you can use the drivers personal feelings to get the pedal travel to where they like it. I have been in a few cars that had very little travel and some that to me had too much.

Also now days with all the things like calipers with built in coolant passages, 6 pad calipers, carbon brakes and everything else there are plenty of solutions out there. It just takes testing to find the best setup. As someone above said "testing and designing the fun part". I probably spend 200 hrs testing and designing for every hour of driving.

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fast Freddy, the brakes convert kinetic energy into heat at the rotor-brake pad surface. Making the pad larger or different material will affect braking, as will a larger rotor. But more or less number of pistons will only vary the effort your foot needs to apply on the pedal. Yes, if you want superlarge pads you are obligated to a 6 piston caliper, but you end up with 6 pistons to get an even pressure across the pad, not because 6 pistons makes for a better brake. (You could have a 6 piston caliper with 10mm pistons, that wouldn't be much good!)

Your larger rear calipers (OEM fronts on the rear) will be working at ~20% of their "capacity." If a single piston 43mm rear caliper like on the 2001 ABS cars is enough to slow the car and lock up (without the intervention of the ABS system) then a four piston caliper is well over the capacity needed. But you would have larger pads, which can be an advantage.

cgmaster, I didn't describe that correctly. For a while Sean Roe sold a two-piston 28mm caliper for the rear with the pistons side by side. It required cutting off the arms for the OEM caliper and another way to have a parking brake. I don't see it on his webstore anymore. Any recommendations on books from what you've read?

Is a larger rear caliper mainly to get a larger rear pad? Kind of makes the rear brakes oversized while racers then fiddle with cooling the front brakes.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The main reason to go to more lining area is to decrease the wear rate. On stock systems with the prop valve out, I go through 3-4 sets of front pads to one set of rears. If I went to Tom's 40mm calipers, the rears would do more work for the same amount of pressure, and I might get down to a 2:1 f/r wear ratio. As it is, my rear rotors only ever get to about 500F or so on the track (Brakeman 3s), while the fronts operate at 900-1300F with Brakeman 3/4 or PFC 93/01 pads. The whole object is to get more work (heat) in the rear brakes without upsetting the balance of the car.

I applaud Tom for using sound engineering logic to solve a minor problem for an extremely modest investment in dollars and time.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Personally I think 4 piston setups on the rear for nearly all street applications (probably all applications) is overkill. You will not be generating high heat for long durations repeatedly to outperform a single or 2 piston setup. If they better balance the car, well, then it would be a good upgrade.

StopTech Service

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of Info Here

It's been a while since I've posted, it seems other daily tasks here keep me away from the front lines...

Let me first start by saying "I'm not a brake engineer, but I play one at work every day." That being said, I do interact each day w/ Steve Ruiz, our Engineering Manager, and a well respected expert in the brake industry (racing and OE)

Here are some basic things regarding a lot of what is being stated in this thread.

Balance is critically important to optimal brake performance, that is to say, the amount of brake torque being applied to the front wheels needs to be optimally proportional to the amount of brake torque in the rear. Each vehicle has an optimal front-to-rear brake torque balance, which can change with variables such as suspension, tires, aero down force etc. I'll not so much address the non-brake variables; just presume all is equal except the brake components for this discourse. If the balance is not optimal, either the front or rear tires will not be doing their fair share of stopping the vehicle. Too much front brake and you'll see the tree through your windshield before you slide into it; too much rear brake and the tree will be in your rear view mirror when you hit it... If you lock the fronts, you have a chance to let off and recover. If you lock the rears, you will likely have the rear end step out making recovery less likely. This is why we (and OE brake engineers) always have a bias toward the front.

Notice I used the term "brake torque", not “brake force”, “clamping load” or similar term. Brake torque is arrived at by calculating the effect of several variables: System Pressure, Piston Area, Co-Efficient of Friction (Cf) of the Pads, and Effective Radius of the Clamping Force. System Pressure is the output pressure from the master cylinder, which varies with pedal effort. Piston Area is the area of the caliper pistons; larger pistons means a given system pressure will exert more clamping load on the pads/rotor. Cf is how much bite a particular pad has. Different pads have vastly different Cf's and can vary with temperature and condition of the bed-in of the rotors and pads. Effective Radius is the radius of the centerline of the pistons on the rotor; for simplicity sake, call it rotor diameter and presume the centerline of the pistons is basically the same distance from the outer edge on different set-ups. Change any of these 4 variables and you change the brake torque being applied. Only the system pressure is a constant front-to-rear (presuming a single bore, stock master cylinder); Piston Diameter, Effective Radius and Cf can all be changed on just one end of the vehicle. Here is a link to an article on the Technical Page of our website with more details on the formulas: Formulas for Vehicle Braking Dynamics

Let's presume the Cf of the pads is a constant, and look at caliper piston and rotor sizing. If you use a caliper with a larger total piston area, you will increase the brake torque. One of the scary things being talked about is using front calipers in the rear. Front calipers typically have larger piston areas then rear calipers, so putting ANY front caliper in the rear will dramatically increase rear brake torque. An ABS equipped vehicle may manage it (not very effectively) and keep you straight, but lose an ABS sensor coming out of a corner and the next brake zone will get very exciting... A larger caliper in the rear won’t only be working at say 20% of its capacity, it will be working more like 50% OVER capacity for what the rear tires need. The system pressure is the same; the caliper is gripping the rear with the same force as it would the front, which is too much for the rear.

So what about upgrading all the calipers to larger piston sizes in equal proportion? If you use the same master cylinder, you will increase pedal stroke to consume the extra piston volume and when system pressure is applied, you will have more brake torque at all corners. “More brake torque!”, sounds great, but what does it really mean? It means the pedal is more sensitive once you use up the extended pedal travel and the system will be more prone to lock-up (or ABS intervention) making modulation of the brakes less manageable. You could do the exact same thing by changing the master cylinder and keeping the original calipers. The limiting factor is really the Cf of the tires. If you can lock them up with the stock calipers, you will only be able to lock them up with less effort with the larger calipers, you won't stop any shorter. It should also be noted that the number of pistons has nothing to do with brake torque either. An eight piston caliper with smaller pistons will feel the same to the driver and perform the same as a 4 piston with an equal total piston area (less larger diameter pistons). The only advantage the 8 piston may have is a larger pad area meaning more heat capacity.

So why upgrade? Heat capacity is the most compelling reason. You need to take all the kinetic energy of a 3000# object moving at 150mph and convert it to heat through a set of pads with less area than your computer keyboard (think about that next time you complain about pad life…) The pads transfer the heat to the rotors, which serve as the main means to shed off the heat. Note I'm being somewhat simplistic in terms of how the heat is dissipated, suffice to say, the pads and rotors work together to manage the heat and the calipers absorb some heat as well. Larger rotors manage the heat better. Better airflow through the rotors also dissipates the heat better. Larger pads do their share as well. On a given deceleration event, from a given speed, with a given vehicle mass, a specific amount of heat will be generated. That amount of heat will be virtually the same no matter what the brake system components. The key is how much heat can the system absorb or shed before the next deceleration. A lower temperature at the start of the brake zone means the total kinetic energy controlled by the system will result in a lower system temperature at the end of the braking zone. It all adds up and all needs to be shed off; hence larger rotors, better air flow, nice brake ducts etc.

Notice that nowhere in the brake torque formula is pad area taken into account. A larger pad has no effect on brake torque, so a larger pad does NOT provide any better braking, except in terms of heat management and pad wear. In theory, a brake pad the diameter of a quarter, with the same Cf and effective radius of a larger pad will give the same brake torque output. Of course the pad will immediately overheat and the Cf will fall to zero, but at the moment of brake application, it will perform the same as a larger pad. Here is as good a place as any to say that balancing a brake system with different pads is a band-aid at best for a poorly designed system. Add the complications of the pads heating at different rates and ending up at different temperatures front and rear and you can really start chasing the balance. A well balanced system should allow some choice of pads with a manageable effect on brake performance. If you must run a more aggressive pad on one end or the other to keep the system in balance, something is not right.

Increasing the rotor diameter will not only give more heat capacity, it will also increase brake torque as you move the caliper further away from the centerline of the axle. That means in order to maintain balance, a larger rotor would need smaller caliper pistons. Just another variable we take into consideration when designing a brake kit.

The one way around caliper piston sizing not being optimized is a dual master cylinder set-up. With dual masters, you can change the system pressure front to rear using different master cylinder diameters and also by changing the linkage ratio from the pedal to the individual master cylinder push rods. This is typically driver adjustable, and a great way to fine tune the brakes for varying track and vehicle conditions (tire wear, fuel load, etc) Installing a dual master cylinder is a major undertaking, and typically reserved for dedicated race cars. Most Viper owners stay w/ a stock master cylinder, making caliper piston sizing most critical.

As this is being written on and off over the course of the day, I think it may be a bit dis-jointed. Let me try and re-cap what I'm trying to get across:

A balanced brake upgrade is critical to optimal brake performance. Get the balance wrong and you will increase your stopping distance. Get it really wrong and you can make the platform completely unstable. ABS will mask a lot of sins, but a misbalanced system will still have a longer stopping distance, even w/ ABS (we've proven this in testing numerous times.) Heat capacity is what you are really looking to improve, and increasing brake torque has nothing to do with heat control. Larger rotors, higher heat capacity pad compounds, larger pad area all help with heat control. You need to consider pedal feel as well, and with a stock master cylinder, you are limited in ways to vary that. Larger caliper pistons will make for longer pedal travel and a more sensitive pedal effort. This may not always be a negative if you can adjust the pedal height and like a softer pedal feel, however most oversized calipers result in a loss of effective pedal modulation, especially under threshold braking.

This is not magic, but it is science. Not hard science, except in the amount of time and effort to sort it out. We base our business and reputation on designing, producing and testing our systems so when a customer bolts it on their car, it provides the best balance and heat capacity possible. We get you really close, and individual vehicle variables won't get you too far out of line. This is not to say there aren't other good solutions, but make sure the Laws of Physics aren't being asked to take a day off in order for everything to work. It is not as simple as taking what works well on one car and presuming it will work well on another. You would not take the shocks and springs off a Porsche, cut off the ends and weld on adapters to make it fit a Viper and think the suspension would be better... Why would anyone think that would be true with the brakes? Yet there are systems being sold out there that do exactly that; be it Porsche, Ferrari, or even a Viper with different suspension, master cylinder, ABS etc.

All I'm saying is do the math and/or rely on trusted sources and their first hand experiences. And give yourself a little room to do some testing before you use the system in an aggressive mode.

Here is a link to the Technical Page of our website: StopTech Technical Page

I hope this helps, not confuses...

Please feel free to e-mail me directly with any questions as I may not be back online for a day or 2.

Matt Weiss
StopTech
[email protected]

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Lots of Info Here

Matt,

Glad you chimed in.

I fully agree that it's all about heat capacity, which leads me to question the wisdom of big rear brakes.

The front brakes do nearly 10 times more work than the rears on a street car (on a car with sticky tires it would be even more). Given the same pad size and compound front and rear, and assuming the front brakes are operating at their optimal temperature, do big rear brakes ever get enough heat to properly do their job?

When searching out my own brake upgrade (StopTech, 14" front only), I spoke with many folks who had big rear brakes. I frequently heard the comment that they "almost never" change their rear pads. That confirmed my belief that big rear brakes actually have too much heat capacity. Factor in all the extra unsprung and rotating weight and big rear brakes strike me as a performance down-grade! (although I stick to my earlier statement that they look good!)

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Good reading here... As a known user of Tom's rear solution, I'd just like to say that, for my limited track time (twice a year at Viperdays or VIR track days) AND considering I don't try to go for ten-tenths out there, I consider going to much larger surface areas and clamping force on the rear to be overkill.
What I think needs to be concentrated on is more cooling, especially for the fronts. I've got the StopTech rotors that have directional vents in the front, but am considering installing some tubes to direct more air in there this year...
Doesn't do much good to increase the efficiency with which the braking system turns motion into heat without also improving the efficiency with which that heat is expelled from the system.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Get out the saw and open up your fenderwell tops. Your problems will be cured.
You must be registered for see images

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Wow, does that really help very much?

Never thought of doing that... I have seen some tube arrangements on some of the VRL cars, but not that.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It works wonderfully. You're going to have to cut holes for cooling somewhere. If you do the Cone cooling duct system, they will be in the radiator core support, plus you have to spend several hundred dollars for the package. (It IS a nice package...) With my setup, all you need is a steady hand, a fine-bladed jigsaw, some sandpaper, a few pieces of wire mesh and pop rivets.

The hot air exhausts out thru the hood air extractors at a natual low pressure area.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Most of the Viper racecars out there in VRL SCCA etc have these cutouts. It makes the hood vents functional to boot!

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

on the original subject- i know the theory, but in practice i have never found the rears to be of any significance (except for maintaining chassis posture/balance during braking). for all i care- they could be drums and braking will still be the same (heat radation/fade with drums will be a problem, but you get my point). anything over 2-*** in the back for front-engined cars is a waste in my experience. same results as bigger brakes in the back can be achieved by adjusting the brake-proportion valve (or whatever the front/back divider is called)...there is plenty braking power even in the weakest 1-*** rear caliper for 99% of the cars...

another case in point- if anybody has ridden a motorcycle they know- the rear brake is pretty useless. the only thing it does is lockup during aggressive braking.

just my real-world 2 cents

alex
few cars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi