Temp control useless - pure hot or cold only

Todd Richmond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's starting to get warmer and I figured it's about time to determine why my temperature control is useless. AC blows 100% cold and heater blows 100% hot regardless what angle the control is at. The unassisted fan just blows hot air right of the headers of course,
smile.gif
but I would like a little more control

Any ideas?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
This topic has been raised before.

It is not a true mixer valve. But I thought they were working on it from way back, and was expecting it to be improved by my model year. But by 2001, it had not been changed. Somehow, I get along with it. What can you do? Buy a Vette? baahawwhawwhaw!

OP
OP
T

Todd Richmond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK - I tried a few more search terms and came up with the non-existant AC range being a "feature" (go Dodge!) and the heater supposedly being somewhat functional. If "somewhat" really means imperceptable, then I'm stuck, otherwise where do I look?

I think one of my problems is that I have SVSi headers which are MUCH closer to the interior air intake than others. The previous owner had two holes cooked in the box and tried covering it with heat shields and I just got through replacing plug wires that were scorched from being nearly on top of the headers. Any outside temp over 75 needs AC because the fan always blows hot air and full throttle brings an instant desert blast...

Rare1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had exactly the same problem with my -96 GTS! It turned out the problem was very simple, but a little tricky to fix. The "heater" cable had a little "bend" in the engineroom which in turn meant that the inner cable was not running properly. This had meant that the connection for the wire on to the knob in the cockpit was broken, so the heater cable was not working at all!
I had to change the whole dash unit and replace cable.
Good Luck!
Mikael
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Todd Richmond:

I think one of my problems is that I have SVSi headers which are MUCH closer to the interior air intake than others. The previous owner had two holes cooked in the box and tried covering it with heat shields and I just got through replacing plug wires that were scorched from being nearly on top of the headers.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While SVSi makes very high quality headers, the radiant heat coming off of them is a major issue. Pretty much with any aftermarket header on a Viper, I recommend trying to put the heat shielding back on. SVSi can provide you with woven glass fiber spark plug boot covers.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The AC is on or off--no temp.adjustment. The heater should be a little adjustable although it appears to be somewhat of a primitive system. Reminds me of my 51 Dodge. It takes a few miles to cool down once it's been on high. Sometimes I'll run the AC to clean the heat out of the lines. I found that room temp. is with the control valve about 3/8" from off.

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog