Test Drive Joke?

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could always use my method: Peer pressure a friend into buying one first... Then make your decision.

I literally did this with a Lotus Esprit, C5 Corvette, and a Viper GTS. And they were all happy...
smile.gif

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well you should find a INDEPENDENT used car dealer who specializes in USED Vipers/exotic cars. I guarantee you will get a test drive. It may be used, but as long as you get a 97 or newer its basically the same as a 2001-2002 except ABS. Most new Vipers are sold by the actual owner of the dealership, even the sales managers are not allowed to drive the cars. So if you want to test drive a new Viper at a dealer it's not going to happen, unless they know your for sure a buyer. It sounds like your in a "Corvette state of mind" if you think a Viper is just a car, like a Vette is.
smile.gif
Anyway that's the only way I know, besides a local kind VCA member giving you a ride. We're always looking for Corvette converts
laugh.gif
I would offer to give you a ride but you didn't put down what state/city your in
confused.gif

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, you reminded me of something. Thinking of it...i have never test drive all 3 of my vipers when i brought them. Hmm...must be the magic of the Viper!! Without test driving one, and you still need to buy them!! ;)

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once my local Dodge dealer knew I was serious about buying my 99 GTS they insisted that I take it for a test drive. It was a brand new car with 15 miles on it so they were not exactly tossing the keys to anyone who came through the door and wanted to take a Viper for a joy ride. I think you need to be serious buyer, and then you can get a test drive.

Just curious, when you do test drive new cars at a dealer, do you run the hell out of them, or show respect for the new car and take it easy?

I have seen too many posts where individuals brag about abusing brand new cars. I'm not saying you are one of these people, but that is one reason why dealers don't give test drives to everyone.

Jim

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm at the other extreme. I walked into a Dodge dealer in my town (about 10mi north of K-zoo in Michigan -- approx 10000 people) just wanting the dimensions of it to see if I could fit or not, and they offered me a test drive on the spot.

However, I doubt I'd buy from them for the same reason. If they'd do that for me, what would they do for someone else...?

Car's probably been abused more than Pamela Anderson.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dealer is totaly correct in not letting you test drive it. Reason being simple, its not your car! If you buy it then you can drive it all you want. Each viper comes with a tag which says how many miles were on it after it was tested by it assembly team, if a car has much more than that I would not recomend buying it. When I bought mine first thing I did was notice that it had 7 miles on it, and the mile tag said 6.9.

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took a slightly different approach to Russ. Bought the car long distance from Bill Pemberton - specifically asked him to drive the car a little to be sure it was trouble free then ship it. 6 miles on the car from the factory, however, odometer read 16.9 upon arrival at my residence. Car has been trouble free since day one.

Guess you have to put trust in the organization that you deal with and go from there. As for the test drive? Find a friend where you have mutual trust and drive his/hers. No viper friends? Make one. My 2 cents.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You travel the world and don't want to drop 5 bills on a Viper rental? I would think spending $ 500 for a potential $ 100,000 investment (If you are talking the mods you are) is PEANUTS. If you are ever in Chicago, look us up.

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a recent thread over at the corvette forum regarding dealerships that would not allow test drives of C5s. The dealership I bought my 02 ZO6 from does not allow test drives. I had driven a few C5s before I bought the Z.

I think it is up to the descretion of the dealership. Some are strict about test drives and some are not.

silverviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a test drive, go in prepared: well dressed, well spoken, and with a couple financial documents that demonstrate your ability and serious interest in the vehicle. They may still say no, but at least then you know it's not the Willie Nelson/bum/crazy man thing.

For a test ride, come up to Thunderhill tomorrow (Sunday) and look for the silver Viper ACR. Bring a helmet. I'll give you a ride around the track to feel the performance. Sorry, I won't let you drive (I don't let anyone else drive) but the ride should be convincing enough for your decision!

Nik

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I got that snotty put-down stuff when I bought my '95. Walked in looking like I always look (homeless
smile.gif
), T-shirt, jeans and running shoes. I stood around the viper on the showroom floor for about 30 minutes waiting for a salesman to come talk to me with no luck. Finally I just collared one guy as he was walking past and said "Hey I'm interested in this viper, thinking about buying it and I'd like to take it for a test drive." The guy just laughed at me and says "NO one drives the viper except the shop's viper tech." I asked him politely to check with his manager to see if it would be ok because I was really serious. Mentioned that I was thinking about putting money TODAY if I could drive it and if I liked it. The salesman said he would check, walked away and proceeded to blow me off. After another 30 min I grabbed him again and got in his face and said "You must think you're pretty smart judging everybody that comes in here by their looks. Guess you think I'm just some bum, but you're on the verge of losing a $50k sale and you're too dumb to know it. I'm dead serious about buying this car and this is your last chance to be the guy to do it." So he says he wants to do a credit check on me - I agree and 20 minutes later he comes trotting back a WHOLE new man. Lord he was lovey-dovey. Yes I got my test-drive with him riding shotgun and Yes I bought the car.

The dumb salesmen all think they're hot-shots at judging people by their looks - the smart ones don't.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just a quick note, do not rent a Viper in Vegas they are tapped out and run pretty ragges and actually spoiled my view on the car, take a read on my thread, it's 68 miles/ 10 gallons = ouch from a few days ago, give it a read.......

get up to chicago and rent from steve at cloud9 rentals, he is on here alot and his car has exhaust and other mods to boot.
the vegas cars are fighting a crazy elevation, with a loss of around 100 horse, 3% per thousand feet loss, and the peak at Red Rock where I did most of my high speed driving was at 11,000. Crunch some numbers and it's not all that quick....

In a positive note the rental is 225 for 5 hours with the first hundred miles free at dreamcarental right on the strip, email me if you want any info on it, rented on Monday that just pasted.

Still hunting for a GTS of my own, hope we find em!!
Ryan

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Genxgts, thanks for the plug. Since I put the Hennessy wing on the car, my reapeat customers are going nuts just to drive it...ME TOO!(Too bad it has been raining almost every day since I put it on here) Seriously, to toot my own horn, the car is in supurb shape, VERY strong and hasn't got a scratch.......O.K. I need to find some wood now............
-

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are plenty of dealers that allow a test drive. But ask yourself, if someone came to your house and mentioned that they typically drive in the "140-170" range, would you be inclined to give them your keys?

See the problem is that everyone thinks they can handle the power of a Viper, but the fact is that many still get surprised. did you know that 40 Vipers never made it back to their homes after being picked up by the owner? Yes, the owner that just dropped $70, accidently trashed it on the way home. Does this sound like something that you just let anyone test drive?

Call the VCA club in your area. They will know of a dealer that may be willing to take you for a ride. If not, maybe the club will let you come out to a track event and experience it there.

If you want to drive one, I suggest you buy one. If you have no interest in buying something you have never driven, then you might want to stick with your C5. I would GUESS that 60-80% of all Viper owners NEVER drove a Viper until they Purchased their own.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, we test drove a 1997 GTS before we bought our zero mile 1996. The 1997 was at a local dealership. They asked us for driver's licenses and gave us the keys. The car had been driven by the dealer principal for 5K miles or so, so break in was not an issue.

I would NOT buy a car from a dealer that let's folks take out new cars without regard to the proper break in procedure. Does a local dealer have a low mileage used 2000 that you could drive? That's the best of both worlds.

Just remember, a dealer that let's anyone take a car out with zero miles, is NOT Looking out for the best interest of the final owner. I don't want anyone putting break in miles on my new car but ME....

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking at buying a 96 RT/10, and I went to a specialty dealer and drove a 95. Not exactly the same car, but one ride and a quick (controlled, respectful drive) convinced me hands down. I now have a great 96 RT/10, white with blue stripes...

I am a little cautious based on your post, as others have stated I would not let someone test drive a car who states they routinely drive 140-170...BTW, I am in Northern Calif, where do you drive at those speeds???

Given that you are looking at buying a new Viper, it will be more difficult to test drive a 98-00 for example versus a 94 or 95.

Its all about making a connection with the sales folks, and they read you and make their decision. Perhaps you bring in your C5 and make a connection with a Vette enthusiast, that should work for you.

Mail me privately and we can discuss where I test drove a Viper!

TomR..

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say find some local VCA folks, but the regular 140-170 mph driving thing makes me very reluctant to even suggest that. I am afraid I would only let you ride in my car, not drive it. And I am no wuss - I track my car and only touch the 140s(maybe 150s on a real flyer) on the faster tracks I run.

But if you are serious, I am sure many dealers will let you take a careful test drive just to feel the car's dynamics and ergonomics, but certainly not to wring it out or test the envelope.

I hope you do get the Viper, but the Vette man for life comment makes me wonder ;-)

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*****. I was in a similar dilema. I was looking at the V8TT Lotus. How did you like it? I have driven a few old 4 bangers. Did you likie? There is a nice silver one up the road from me for sale for $49,900 like 13,000 miles. I think its on 01.

Im happy I got the viper but am curious about the V8 Esprit
smile.gif

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looker, give me a call sometime. I can make it happen. Would you be willing to go on a "ride along" with me? Call me in a couple of days and I'll see what I can do. I've got an '01 saphire coupe and a '97 red coupe for sale. We're not too far away. dj

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You just havent find a good dealer. I went to Nelson Auto-group (Marysville Ohio)wearing flip flops and a tee shirt, driving my pickup truck. I drove 3 vipers that day. I guess you have to be assertive.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The very first time I drove a Viper was after I purchased my 99 ACR. It never occurred to me that the car wouldn't be a great fit and meet my every expectation. I jumped in and drove it home like I'd been driving it for years.

If you decide to buy a Corvette because a dealer will easily render a test drive, you may be making a big mistake. A Viper has a soul unto itself and to own one is a truly remarkable experience. I've owned 11 Corvettes and loved every one of them, but to own a Viper .... Well it's just really special.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
May I suggest you call your local VCA region President and ask him if there is someone willing to assist. I'm sure someone would be glad to oblige.

Also, don't forget Skip Barber Racing School... take the one day school (not a bad idea even if you did get a test drive), which will give you some track (autocross) time in a GTS.

Third option, exotic rental. I know there's a Vegas rental agent with Vipers. I'm sure you could talk him into a "half day" rental...or even an hour or so.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanna laugh? I never test drove a Viper, never Sat in a Viper, and never really knew the color I was getting. All I knew is that I wanted a Viper, wanted a convertible, didn't want black or red, and liked the sound of a connaly interior. I figured, how could I go wrong?
When this old Santa Claus looking guy came to drop off my car in an old beat up 4X4 pulling an enclosed trailer...I didn't know what to think.
When the door to the trailer opened, HOOOOLLLYYYY SH----------T!

The rest is history. Why would I consider a Vette? It's like having a name like Jim Jones. Too normal....

But I had the same probelm. I tried to get a test drive, and it was way too much trouble.

Andrew

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Show em! I agree. In my situation my car was in Califoria (I'm in Illinois) I never saw the car or had anyone test drive it until I flew out there to check it out (It was $8,000 less than in the midwest at the time and had 10k in mods). Before I did that, I faxed him a copy of my registered check for the entire amount. THAT got his attention. Funny thing was, he called me back one month later saying he gave me too good of a deal and offered me 10k more than I paid for it..... not a chance....