Test drove an SRT-10

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from my trip to Florida. Had the opportunity to drive an SRT-10, Gts, Gallardo and Murci, along with lots of miles in my uncles 360 Spider.

I really liked the SRT, it was much nicer than the Gts. It actually made the Gts feel old. My only complaint was how close the door closes on you. The car also looks much better in person than in pics. The power was very good, much moreso than the 360(360 is such a pig), felt quicker than the Gallardo intitially, but at upper speeds, the Gallardo seemed to be atleast just as quick, while the Murci was the fastest all around. I was also impressed with the build and ride on the SRT. Great car inmo.

I also looked at, but didnt drive the new Vette. Didint like it at all. Also took a look at the Bentley Gt, nothing special. Give me an Arnage anyday. Lastly the Porsche CGT, overpriced Boxster on steriods inmo.

SoFlaSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And Lambos are overpriced Audis.

Porsche > lambo.

Ahh yes, I hear the squeaky little voice of the all-knowing one who's never had a Porsche, a Lambo, or an Audi. Or a Viper. What cars do you actually have first hand experience with, Craig.

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And Lambos are overpriced Audis.

Porsche > lambo.

Ahh yes, I hear the squeaky little voice of the all-knowing one who's never had a Porsche, a Lambo, or an Audi. Or a Viper. What cars do you actually have first hand experience with, Craig.

Just a guess"tonka". ;)

OP
OP
A

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a fun trip. Went to Orlando, to try and hit up Disney, it was packed! We left, took a drive around looking at some pre-construction homes and decided to buy one. The traffic around South Florida is just getting crazy. Orlando was much more enjoyable. I pretty much spent most of my trip shopping or eating!

As for Porsche being better than Lambo, well, inmo, having had several of both, thats hardly the case.

Hans Christian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
allanlambo,

Don't bother justifying your comparison with this guy - he seems to know better than everybody else on this board.

It was interesting to read your comparison - I am a huge Diablo and Murci fan myself. Thanks for sharing

Franko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could not pull from my buddy's gallardo. His is stock and mine has intake and exhaust. I was shocked at i thought i would pull because i have more tq and he has the extra weight of the AWD.

The gearing in the Gallardo i think is 3.08's compared to the SRT10 3.07 so thats a close match up.

OP
OP
A

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could not pull from my buddy's gallardo. His is stock and mine has intake and exhaust. I was shocked at i thought i would pull because i have more tq and he has the extra weight of the AWD.

The gearing in the Gallardo i think is 3.08's compared to the SRT10 3.07 so thats a close match up.

The Gallardo has very tall first gear. Also when i drove it, i kept the traction control on, and according to owners, its a much better with it off.

The whole experience really solidified my positioning as to just how crappy Ferraris really are. I mean, the 360 drove really nice, well built (much better than my 355) but when you put the peddle down to have some fun, there is nothing there. I was coming home on the highway, doing around 80mph, with some guy in a taxi tailgating me. I down shift to 4th (could of gone to 3rd), but still, its a freakin taxi, and i could not shake this guy. It was pathetic.

One thing i found difficult in the SRT, was controlling the power. From a roll, in 1st just the faintest stab at the throttle produced wheelspin.

OP
OP
A

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh also, is your buddies Gallardo a 6 speed or E-gear?

Franko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a 6 spd. Comfortable to use as a daily driver in my opinion. They say the Gallardo is much more reliable than previous lambo's. I guess we'll see heh

I agree with you about the 360, my buddy also has a E55 and it walked the 360 by 4 car lengths on the freeway.

I think you buy a Ferrari for it's history and it's sound. Don't get me wrong, i'd love to own one but not for 3times what i paid for the viper.

An SRT10 is a no brainer in our soft market. I picked up my '03 for only $63k with only 300 miles on it. You can't go wrong with the uniqueness (sp?) and power for such a great price. My only complaint are some rattles and the wheel hop is quite annoying.

Good luck!

Frank

C.Thomson

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I looked at a Bently GT in California this weekend and thought it was GREAT. The speed of that thing is amazing, especially when you consider the weight. I saw that you can get a chip and get 600+hp out of it for viper-like performamnce, unequaled luxury.

I am really interested in this car....why dont you like it?

SteveT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was surprised (pleasantly) by the power of the Gallardo. I had been led to believe that it was going to be noticeably slower than the Viper, not the case.

The cabin of the SRT10 does feel a little cramped (with the top up at least) after you have been in the Gallardo for awhile. The comparisons, at least for me, end there as I find them to have totally different driving dynamics and personalities.

OP
OP
A

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im just not impressed with the exterior styling on the Bentley Gt. I like the Arnage more.

As for the Gallardo, the 6 speed is lighter than the E-gear, so that should put the E-gear as being slower than the SRT. I dont like E-gear anyway.

On our site, we've been discussing the fact that just dumping the awd,as people do on Diablos and Murcis, and changing the exhaust, drops the Gallardos weight by 200-225pds.

As for Lambo reliability, dont knock em till youve tried em. Talk to real owners and youll find they are very very reliable. Motor is very strong. Case in point my Sv. Havent done anything to it in 6 years, but oil and filter changes, havent even changed the plugs, and im running a 150shot. Same held true for my old Countach, and my 92 Diablo.
Car is now in Cali, about to most likely be twin turboed.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My SRT is gone and I replaced it with the Gallardo (really not in the same league, given the price difference), and the G is so fantastic I drive it all the time, rain, shine, work, groceries, whatever. On the track, the G is very impressive for its mass - 1:22s at Motorsport Ranch on the stock street tires, but aftermarket brake pads. The dry sump and cooling take away all drama that could be associated with fluid temps and pressures. Oh and mine is a 6-speed.

Overpriced Audi? Perhaps, but it has the best of the teutonic fit, finish and engineering and the Italian passion for driving and style. A truly "practical" exotic that makes me miss my SRT not a bit and I still have no buyer's remorse over the ****** amount of money I had to spend.

Most amazing difference? Both cars have V-10s and the G has such a sweet exhaust note compared to every Viper I have owned that I wish Dodge had spent the money to have a 72 degree crank or whatever it is that makes the G sing in comparison the the Viper.

My GTS, though, with the Roe S/C, makes the G feel like a slug, and at the end of the day if forced to cut back on my habit, the GTS stays and G goes (100K price difference is a factor, too).

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On our site, we've been discussing the fact that just dumping the awd,as people do on Diablos and Murcis, and changing the exhaust, drops the Gallardos weight by 200-225pds.

Allan - what is your site address?
Also I thought the awd was good as this gave more traction off the line. Why would someone be thinking about taking the awd off-just to lose some weight?
Also what kind of HP can a Murci handle with the driveline it has now?
Thinking about doing an upgrade on a Murci. (with Heffner of course)

Hiper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kverges,
You are absolutely right. The fit and finish on the Gallardo is incredible. I have had my G for the past 11 months and it is just phenomenal! It is a truly amazing exotic sports car! Having it withstand our 120 degree weather in the Summer just shows how good the quality of the Lambo is :eek:

Whereas with my Viper, the engine couldn't handle the hot weather during the day. But the Viper sure was fun to drive!!! I really miss it! I guess I have to give Bill P. a call soon :headbang:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang