The Red Dragon

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My nanny was present when I took delivery and she swears I exclaimed this when I checked out the car. I must've. Makes sense. So her nickname has become "The Red Dragon."

Did first run today. Only 10-15 miles. Clutch felt light and it seems like she wants to let out about 30% or so before you feel the car grab for some acceleration. I kept the shifts at about 4000rpms. Shifter is pretty user friendly but I've had paddle shifters on my last 4 performance cars. So the whole manual transmission with 3 pedals thing will take some getting used to. Ill admit to stalling out a couple of times when reloading on the lift. The entrance is cool with the slide over but on exit I definitely was reminded of how the exhaust pipes were on the side and they ran hot. Think ill wear pants instead of shorts next run.

Car has a **** stance. The shapes of the hood roof side and profile are all ****. I'm not crazy about the rear view but its growing on me. The interior is great. Love the sepia and the GTS model is really classy for a torque monster machine.

She went in the Lambo's old spot and I was impressed that I unloaded and loaded on the lift without issue and without the front lift system I had in the other car.

Premature to fully assess but I can state that I felt myself smiling while driving it down the road in gear. It sits well. Love the limited but cool view out the front. And I have no idea why folks complained about seat comfort, though my run wasn't extensive. Overall I'm impressed so far. You feel connected to the machine, it's history and are happy to be a part of it.

Gonna take some time to bond with the car, learn her personality and get better at operation. For now, I'll break her in the best way I know how.

Cheers

Rick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 318
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 247
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 231

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That really looks fantastic, I think the Gen 5 is the first Viper to look better without stripes.

Have fun with it, be careful once you hit over 4800 rpm, especially on cold tires in 1st through 3rd.

George

OP
OP
P

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL I picked the oldest one I could find...that way I don't bang some young ********* and end up divorced....and viper-less!!

OP
OP
P

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well I haven't driven a standard in 20 years so I wanted to go easy on the first run (I got delivery 48 hours ago and spent one of those mornings in the DMV) Will have her out again tomorrow for more fun.

OP
OP
P

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are entire counties in North America that our bigger than our State man!! ANYWHERE in RI is close by! LOL Definitely want to meet up. I realize there was a new England vca event yesterday but it was too premature for me to attend as I really needed to spend this weekend bonding with the car. I lived in the pool and in the snake the past couple of days....and dread Monday morn!

One cool thing I noticed today on an incline is that the vehicle doesn't roll back when in 1st gear when you take your foot off the brake. I recall standard transmissions being the opposite. Not complaining at all as it makes the car easier to operate. Its one hell of a machine and I haven't even touched any electronics nor have I even turned on the radio yet. Prolly should since that 18 speaker upgrade cost extra huh? I did notice the rear view camera when unloading and it looked cool. The gears are easy to find...does 60-70mph in 3rd gear while pushing low rpm's. Hope to get into higher gear and higher speed once the break in period is finished.

This thing is a joy to drive and there's few cars that I've starred at in the garage...this is definitely one of them. Any break in tips? Driving tips? I hear there's some surge to be careful of at 4500 rpm's but I don't understand what that is all about?

IWishIHadaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pics of the nanny?

Exactly! ;)

Preferences

§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are entire counties in North America that our bigger than our State man!! ANYWHERE in RI is close by! LOL Definitely want to meet up. I realize there was a new England vca event yesterday but it was too premature for me to attend as I really needed to spend this weekend bonding with the car. I lived in the pool and in the snake the past couple of days....and dread Monday morn!

One cool thing I noticed today on an incline is that the vehicle doesn't roll back when in 1st gear when you take your foot off the brake. I recall standard transmissions being the opposite. Not complaining at all as it makes the car easier to operate. Its one hell of a machine and I haven't even touched any electronics nor have I even turned on the radio yet. Prolly should since that 18 speaker upgrade cost extra huh? I did notice the rear view camera when unloading and it looked cool. The gears are easy to find...does 60-70mph in 3rd gear while pushing low rpm's. Hope to get into higher gear and higher speed once the break in period is finished.

This thing is a joy to drive and there's few cars that I've starred at in the garage...this is definitely one of them. Any break in tips? Driving tips? I hear there's some surge to be careful of at 4500 rpm's but I don't understand what that is all about?

Oh the Gen V has "hill assist" or whatever it is called?

I think the "4500" rpm thing is dude to, that is when you start hitting those really high HP numbers...

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
With Variable Valve Timing the Dragon will breathe fire in the upper rpm ranges. You have hill assist so it doesn't act like an old manual when on an incline. Keep taking it easy till you get acclimated , but real pleasure hearing about all your excitement and she is a beauty.

In your owner's packet note the phone number to call to get a full owner's manual - just place a call to SRT and they will mail out, as the one enclosed is a partial booklet, though there is also a CD.

OP
OP
P

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill...you're the man! That was my next question. I downloaded the owner's manual and saved it on my computer for now. Will call SRT for print copy.

Gonna be busy working this week but the Red Dragon will be out breathing fire this weekend...all weekend once again!!!

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats. Will be nice to hear your thoughts after a few thousand miles in her. Its very good to hear that most owners find the interior world class and comfortable. SRT got that part down pat. Now to see what trickles down from the GTSR to the street cars performance-wise in the near future.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill...you're the man! That was my next question. I downloaded the owner's manual and saved it on my computer for now. Will call SRT for print copy.

Gonna be busy working this week but the Red Dragon will be out breathing fire this weekend...all weekend once again!!!

Livin' the dream! I'm almost here with ya, LOL. Just need my Snake too.

OP
OP
P

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha. Here's more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
P

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the black ones aren't so bad but u cant lose with CF!! the rear brake light bezel could use some too. Over all it looks great. cockpit has a great feel. You're gonna like it. I'm not the best driver and I find the shifter and clutch pretty user friendly.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
shadow blue would have been looking awesome but congrats and enjoy

OP
OP
P

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's still in Frame Status. July or August delivery =not cool. Plus if I really wanted Shadow Blue, I could've bought out already built. I inquired on one in OH and on one in the Carolina's. ultimately I had reservations about the paint being too subtle, too much like black, difficult to keep clean and perhaps a bit dull. On top gear, the first word Clarkson used to describe it was "subtle." On Jay Leno's garage the shadow blue sat right next to the Adrenaline Red and it was clear that he test drove the red one for a reason. Also kept playing the run with Toomy Kimball and Andretti as the Red and dark blue were side by side on the track and had reservations about the latter one. Satisfied with the move.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's still in Frame Status. July or August delivery =not cool. Plus if I really wanted Shadow Blue, I could've bought out already built. I inquired on one in OH and on one in the Carolina's. ultimately I had reservations about the paint being too subtle, too much like black, difficult to keep clean and perhaps a bit dull. On top gear, the first word Clarkson used to describe it was "subtle." On Jay Leno's garage the shadow blue sat right next to the Adrenaline Red and it was clear that he test drove the red one for a reason. Also kept playing the run with Toomy Kimball and Andretti as the Red and dark blue were side by side on the track and had reservations about the latter one. Satisfied with the move.

I went through the same transition myself. Started out wanting the Shadow Blue, still like it, but it's a bit subtle for such an over the top car. It's funny how seeing a car in person can really change your mind. When I went to a dealer that had a blue/white LE and an Adrenaline Red GTS with Sepia, I couldn't take my eyes off of that red. It really is a winning color for the Viper. Sepia complements it perfectly. Agree, you made the right move.

And you lucky bastard, you are enjoying the summer in that bad machine! Still no word on mine, here we are end of June. SRT said no question it would be started by month's end. Hey, there are two more days in the month, I'm sure it will be in Frame by then, LOL. Not.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62