Thermostat

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking to replace the thermostat with a 180 degree unit. My question is there any way to replace it without removal of the intake?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a new thermostat in last week. Talk about a bummer, one of the bolt broke off in the block before it even moved under very light torque. Drilled it out, tapped it clean, and the t-stat is in. Hope yours go smoother.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would love to see an image / picture of a 180 therm. Anyone willing to e-mail or post?

Thanks much

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Simple in installation, but gains in reducing temperature are not so simple to come by.

Are you saying that after a 180 degree thermostat installation, that the temps may be appx the same as they were with the stock thermostat? That would be a bummer.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a thermostat do not change the maximum temperature of a engine cooling system, only the minimum temperature.

luc.00GTS

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, you've lowered the temp of when the stat opens, but that's it. Volume of coolant flow and volume of air flow is still the same.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are using 50/50 antifreeze/water, try 30/70. You still have enough anti-corrosion additive (change when you are supposed to!) and freeze protection is only +5F. But your heat transfer capability will be roughly 50% better than the 50/50 mix, all because water is 2X better at heat transfer than glycol.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
a thermostat do not change the maximum temperature of a engine cooling system, only the minimum temperature.

luc.00GTS

I may be getting senile but I've seen 10 posts about 180 thermostats and don't remember anybody ever saying the above. Thanks for the info!

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not only did I do this job, but I screwed up the first time and had a leak. Had to pull the intake off all over again and do the whole job all over again. Good news is that I was real fast the second time. It's a big job, but you get to take care of a lot of other stuff, like cleaning out under the intake which gets real dirty. I eve found a mouse nest since I did the job over the winter. It's simple, just lots of time.

AC

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
luc is correct. The therm opens up at a certian temp, but your max temp can always shoot up and the therm can't do a damn thing about it. That's why I also installed Sean Roe's Fan control unit to cool down the engine more.

AC