Thinking about 5-points - Opinions Please

Jon-Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to get some opinions from you all on the 5-point seatbelt - harnesses. I do not get on the track with my 94 - will they become a hassle to put on and off all the time or not? I really like the way they look think I would like the tight feel they must provide. Also, any knowledge on installation (easy or hard) would be great. Thank you!!!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5-point great for track, illegal for street use. Will you get pulled over for having 5-point belts? Probably not. The reason they are not street legal is because the general public is not aware of how to assist in case of emergency.

If you are doing it for a look then keep your 3-point system in place also. The true benefit is for track not street.

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 5 point system but I never use it. It is a pain to connect the belts every time you get in. I do not like them for everyday use but I also like the tight feel that they provide.

Reaction score
I have a 5 point seat belt. For track use it is a must. For street use, it is a real pain to put on. Five point belts hold you tight where you sit (which they are suppose to do), consequently, when used on the street they make it almost impossible to reach dash switches, mirrors, radio controls etc. If you have a RT, you might want to consider a roll bar in conjunction with 5 point belt use as you will be hard pressed to duck if (God forbid) you flip the car. If you get 5 point belts, keep the stock 3 point system for daily use.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Jon-Mike,
Have I got a deal for you
You must be registered for see images

I can send you the Northwind rollbar we just took out of our '94 RT with the interior panel trimmed out for the bar. Additionally, I can cleanly trim out the 1/4" high by 3" wide single slit for the Y style shoulder / 5 point harnesses we use. I have a brand new set in black on the shelf. They are the 1/4 turn cam lock style. New belts, interior panel trimmed and roll bar all for $899.95 plus S&H
The bar retails from Northwind for $750, the interior panel is worth about 175, the belts are regularly $155 each.
Act fast if you want to get the whole package, Jeff Ellison is trying to beat me up on the price of the roll bar for his King Snake

Otherwise, let me know if I can help you in any way.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides the fact that 5 points are safer, they are not approved for "on road" use. I believe the reason is that they do not have an automatic tightening (adjustment) feature. The real concern however, is that if you were in an accident and unconscious, it make take valuable time for someone to figure out how the heck to get you out.... Granted you should be safer to begin with, but, I'd be concerned about the potential rescuer trying to figure out the cam lock mechanism while the car was on fire.....

All that being said, I love ours on the track.

Helpful? Maybe not. Thought provoking? Maybe.

OP
OP
J

Jon-Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Sean! I agree that is a great deal, but since I will rarely be on the track, I'd rather spend the $$$ for the roll bar on some other cool things (like your HID lights in the future
). Thanks for all your input and help!!!

venemous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon-mike , hello there was a set in my car when I bought it and I thought they were cool, but man what a pain to take on and off and when you go to sit in the car you sit on them and then have to pull them from underneath you . It only took me a week to take them out !!!I will GIVE them to you if you want email me and let me know they are RED and simspon straps.

John

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only time my 5-points don't get worn is when my wife is driving. In 7-1/2 years of Viper ownership, I have only used the factory belts for a grand total of 3 weeks.

Jon-Mike, give me a call and I'll help you pick the right belts and get them installed properly.

Dean

830-606-5000 ext 103

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jon-Mike, if you don't take John u[p on this offer... I will.

John, do you have a set for both passenger and driver side?

Let me know if they are still available. I can buy a matching set from Simpson.

Thanks,

Brad <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by venemous:
Jon-mike , hello there was a set in my car when I bought it and I thought they were cool, but man what a pain to take on and off and when you go to sit in the car you sit on them and then have to pull them from underneath you . It only took me a week to take them out !!!I will GIVE them to you if you want email me and let me know they are RED and simspon straps.

John
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have Team Tech 5 points in both of our GTS's. If you are interested in the safest harnesses possible they are the way to go (IMHO). Because of all of the extra padding, the sternum strap, etc. that are incorporated into them it is really not feasible to use them in a daily driver vehicle. However, the support and safety that they offer for track use is great!!!

We got our belts from Keith Moody at Bobby Archer's. They are available in a wide variety of colors. We learned about them from other Viper Days competitors. We did our own installation and since we now have done 3 different GTS's we are getting pretty good at it. We took pictures of the last one as I hope to do a cookbook article including some of the tricks that I have found to make the install easier....

Feel free to email me for more info...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32