Thinking about a used lambo

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Gallardo is an Audi.....aside from fluid changes and the normal stuff. The horror stories are mainly from the older Lambos (which WERE nightmare cars) Coutach, Gen1 Diablos. And peoples perception from those stories have carried on.. The biggest thing would be the clutch interval.... But its like anything else.. You could burn out a clutch in 1 weekend, or have it last 20k miles, all depends on the driver.

Ferrari 348's,355's are nightmare cars. They both require engine out belt services. 360's arent much better. F1 clutches burn easy and they still require a belt service, regardless of miles. But have a panel behind the drivers seat to access belts. So you dont need to remove the engine.

From everything Ive heard. Gallardos are fairly easy on the pocket, compared to Ferraris. a Viper? No, definately not. Nothing beats a Viper.. They are bullet proof,and require virtually no maint. aside from fluid changes. And even if you abuse a viper. You'll still get a good life, from a clutch.

But if you are easy on a Gallardo. You can easily get 10-15k miles from a clutch. Maybe 20k. Think about how long it would take the average owner to put those kind of miles on?

Maybe Ive been given bad info. Or maybe the guy I know, got lucky thus far? But the Gallardos were made to be driven. That is what Ive been told, anyway.

Last edited:

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy her a C5 Auto, cut the mufflers off. Tell her it's so loud because it has 1,000HP and tell her to go play!

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those early E-gears are supposed to be a mess, and the clutchs are junk. But, as others have said, the maintenance on those cars is not as bad as you think. Much of the stuff can be done yourself with a little know how. Even parts like brakes and such can be sourced from other places besides the dealership.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KCobean is right, the viper is by far the easiest car to teach someone how to drive a stick in. i taught my wife in about 20 minutes in it and another chick i know too.

what taximan said, the G is not a bad car for maintenance.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maintenance is the only thing that scares me about them. If you can swing it financially (maintenance)... I'd pull the trigger. If you don't like it, you can always sell and get back into a Viper.

What did you think a Viper forum would tell you to do? Did you post this on the lambo boards yet?

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My nsx was a 91. paid 35k for it in 2007. had 86k miles. wide body/supercharged/adjustable suspension. traded it into the dealership for a car for my daught a few months ago and only got like 20k for it.

Ill never own one again. The electrical and oil leaks was a nightmare. every 3 months I was dropping 1k on somthing. clutch and timing belt was 4k maybe a lil over 4k but I forget.

no bs ive made about 300 1/4 mile passes on my vipers and have only replaced one clutch and it was only 700$ includeing parts and labor.

Took the nsx out and made 5 1/4 mile passes and the clutch went out. I never drag raced it again. At 4k for the clutch job I was scared to run it hard lol.

much more of a rare exotic looking cruiser than a rare evil looking beaste like the viper....

As far as the GTR I personally think that anyone who trades a viper for a gtr should have their testicals checked for compression. At 12k made a year its not even as rare as a z06 and the styling looks pretty boreing next to a viper.

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A Gallardo is an Audi.....aside from fluid changes and the normal stuff. The horror stories are mainly from the older Lambos (which WERE nightmare cars) Coutach, Gen1 Diablos. And peoples perception from those stories have carried on.. The biggest thing would be the clutch interval.... But its like anything else.. You could burn out a clutch in 1 weekend, or have it last 20k miles, all depends on the driver.

Ferrari 348's,355's are nightmare cars. They both require engine out belt services. 360's arent much better. F1 clutches burn easy and they still require a belt service, regardless of miles. But have a panel behind the drivers seat to access belts. So you dont need to remove the engine.

From everything Ive heard. Gallardos are fairly easy on the pocket, compared to Ferraris. a Viper? No, definately not. Nothing beats a Viper.. They are bullet proof,and require virtually no maint. aside from fluid changes. And even if you abuse a viper. You'll still get a good life, from a clutch.

But if you are easy on a Gallardo. You can easily get 10-15k miles from a clutch. Maybe 20k. Think about how long it would take the average owner to put those kind of miles on?

Maybe Ive been given bad info. Or maybe the guy I know, got lucky thus far? But the Gallardos were made to be driven. That is what Ive been told, anyway.

You hit the nail on the head my friend. Lamborghini's can now reach over 100,000 miles if taken cared off as they are pretty much Audi. The reliability and ease to drive is from the German company. Like Jeremy Clark said... "you dont need to have the body of Jean Claude Van Damme to drive this" referring the newer car to the older Diablo.

Check out the Lambo forum Twister. The cost to maintain these cars are still higher than the Viper. I would suggest getting that Vette or something flashier but dont get rid of you're Viper.

Anyone using a Gallardo as a daily driver - Page 3 - 6speedonline.com Forums

Apparently it is very reliable. Reliable enough to be daily driven with no issues.

Maintenance is $900 for 7500 miles and $1500 for 15,000 miles.
My Ducati 1098 was $950 to get the valve adjustment at 7500 miles. That's not bad. Apparently you're supposed to get it serviced once a year. Although it is still an Audi, I wonder how it will do with age. Mileage is one thing but age is another. A 2004 is also the 1st gen so keep that in mind. Some people claim that they get over 25k on the stock clutch too.

Last edited:

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I kinda agree with your GTR statement, but I still do like the GTR....just not as much as a Viper of course ;)

However, for looks the NSX is up there with the Viper, it's very exotic for the price. Considering you said you had a 91 and it was supercharged, do you think that's maybe why you could have had so many problems? Like I said, if I ever bought one, I'd like to get a late model, maybe somewhere between 2002-2005. I wouldn't supercharge it either and it would mainly be for street driving like my Viper is. I've always just thought it was a beautiful car, so I really hope the horror stories about all the problems you had aren't like that for most NSX.

My nsx was a 91. paid 35k for it in 2007. had 86k miles. wide body/supercharged/adjustable suspension. traded it into the dealership for a car for my daught a few months ago and only got like 20k for it.

Ill never own one again. The electrical and oil leaks was a nightmare. every 3 months I was dropping 1k on somthing. clutch and timing belt was 4k maybe a lil over 4k but I forget.

no bs ive made about 300 1/4 mile passes on my vipers and have only replaced one clutch and it was only 700$ includeing parts and labor.

Took the nsx out and made 5 1/4 mile passes and the clutch went out. I never drag raced it again. At 4k for the clutch job I was scared to run it hard lol.

much more of a rare exotic looking cruiser than a rare evil looking beaste like the viper....

As far as the GTR I personally think that anyone who trades a viper for a gtr should have their testicals checked for compression. At 12k made a year its not even as rare as a z06 and the styling looks pretty boreing next to a viper.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fiat owns Chrysler so you already have an Italian Exotic ! One that won't drain your wallet in maintenance and repairs...

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about a Cadillac XLR-V, great looks, power hardtop, Vette platform and most used are less than half their 100K msrp.

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got this from the Corvette forum with someone wanting a ZR1 or the Gallardo. JimMcclain responded and owns both a Gallardo and also a VIPER. Very informative and thought it be good for info here.

----------

RE: If you had/have the means to buy either one of these amazing cars, which one would you buy? Obviously, the ZR1 is more powerful, while the Gallardo has a mere 520 HP. For the money, the ZR1 is the clear choice. However, if money were not an issue and they were sitting side by side, which car would it be? Do you want the prestige or the sheer torque?

My personal two cents:

If money were not an issue and I had to choose one or the other and not just buy both - I would get the best of both worlds and buy the Lambo and just add some power to it. This platform may be the best ever made that is ready to add additional power to it. If you bring the Gallardo to Jason Heffner for his 1000 hp twin turbo system you have it all - prestige and performance!!!

Car and Driver has tested his 850HP package twice now (once in Nov 06 and now in current Feb 2008 issue in a 0-200-0 top dog contest). These lesser powered "850hp" cars turned in numbers raved about by C&D such as 0-60 in 3.1 better than an Enzo or S7 and also rated as the best daily driver of all the high HP, "fastest of the fast cars" they compared. The Gallardo is also the only car they tested on stock street tires in the 0-200-0 contest and if you strip the other cars of this advantage the "real street", not track performance of the Gallardo would be even more evident. Now just imagine once Jason gets the magazines one of his newest 1000hp cars, especially the one that he is currently building for a customer which is based on a Superleggra vs stock coupe ? It will be hard for any car on the planet to beat the numbers this will turn with pump gas and street tires on the street which is what I believe 90% of us are most interested in.

See C&D Articles:
Nov 06
http://www.caranddriver.com/specialt...-gallardo.html

Feb 08 0-200-0 (must create an account to view)
http://www.lambopower.com/forum/inde...opic=28187&hl=

The advantage of the Superleggera over the stock coupe is lighter weight (due to use of Carbon Fiber like the ZR1) but most important incredible brakes (Ceramic like the ZR1). In fact the stock Superleggera is no slouch either and in the Nov Car and Driver review it turned numbers right in there with the 911T, Z06 and 08 Viper from 0-60 - 3.5, quarter mile 11.7, track times, cornering grip and stopping.

Stock Superleggera Review:
http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...erleggera.html

In the end a car with mid engine and 4wd like the Gallardo is a different animal than a front engine / rwd for street use on street tires once you add big power. With anything over 500hp traction becomes an issue with RWD (I have had many Vettes and currently have a supercharged 850hp 2006 FE Viper Coupe so I know first hand). I also happen to own the first Heffner Twin Turbo Gallardo (only 7 in existence so far) that was ever built so I can speak first hand on this amazing car as well.

The difference in acceleration/repeatable performance/grip with the mid engine, 4wd Gallardo and big twin turbo V-10 power even in the rain or snow is beyond words. There is very little wheel spin and just massive grip, acceleration and gforces putting you in your seat each time you hit it. The exhaust note of these high reving, 8000+ rpm engines with custom Heffner exhaust, turbos whistling, BOV's is also beyond words and it's got to be the closest thing to a true F1 car or Jet airplane on the streets.

Vettes and Vipers are incredible modern American muscle machines and very beautiful in their own special ways. The Italian / German made Gallardo's are superior in my opinion IF "I had to choose between one or the other". The reason I say Italian / German made is that many overlook the fact that since Audi bought Lamborghini the Gallardo is the first new model released by Lambo using both companies engineering and knowledge. This is also why the smaller nimbler 4 year old design, Gallardo and its all aluminum construction and modern technology is a far superior platform to the bulky, tempormental, steel chassis Mercilago and the 12 year old technology that it is built on. The Merci is a better looker than the stock Gallardo - no doubt, but thats about it and I would say the Superleggera gives it a run for its money in the looks department as well.

Basically in the end for me if I had to write a recipe for the best platform to build a high performance car on it would be mid engine, 4wd, light and balanced, high quality interior (such as all italian hand stitched leather), high technology (ESP, traction control, launch control, egear, electronic suspension, etc...), limited numbers for exclusivity(hence expensive price) with the exotic exterior design Italy has become so famous for from autos to clothing to furniture alike. This is the Gallardo to me.

In the end you get a super exotic that puts the Saleen S7, Ferrari Enzo, Buggati Veyron's to shame for hundreds of thousands less.

Here is a related article in terms of the overall quickness and capability of TT Gallardo which you can see how it faired with the Henessey Viper from the earlier C&D article I listed above where it was only running 850HP (Hennessey 1033HP) vs how the Hennessey Viper beat the 1000+ hp Veyron in the article below. I know you cant do an accurate direct comparison with the TT Gallardo and Veyron with this since it is a different day, different location). But this does show the TT Gallardo with 1000hp would be one of the most potent street cars ever.

Hennessey Viper beats Veyron 0-200 test:

Autoblog — We Obsessively Cover The Auto Industry

pure zen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Speaking of Audi compotents in the Lambo,, remember, that Audi is owned by VW.

Hope the engine doesn't shut off when you honk the horn :D

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not the initial cost but the cost of ownership for these cars.
One of our club members never keeps his Lambo's beyond warranty for that reason. I think he is on his third Murci....

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The depreciation during the factory warranty period is FAR FAR _FAR_ GREATER than the maintenance costs.

If that is the reason your club member keeps getting new murci's he's very bad at math.

I've been looking for a superleggera for years now. 08 SL's that MSRP'd in the 240's now sell in the high 140's. Murci's have similar depreciation, as do vipers.

The first couple years are the worst, then the depreciation rate tapers off.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with this statement, since the Murci has always been one of my favorite cars, but how come no one ever mentions the VT 6.0 Diablo? It's an amazing car....everyone always just mentions the Gallardo and Murci.. In my honest opinion the Gallardo is nothing special and a waste of money, the looks of it aren't really anything to gawk about either. Granted, it's a very nice car.. but the Diablo 6.0 VT would get A TON more looks then a Gallardo ever would...let alone it's a great performing car as well! :smirk:

QUOTE]

Agree, the diablo is still one of, if not my favorite car, not to much the limited TT versions (7 i believe).

If you are ready to drop 5k+ a year in maintaining the car, go for it. Just be ready to get beat by the viper you are trading. If you gonna mod this lambo, again, be prepared to spend big bucks and dont let something break. Id never sell my viper for a lambo but have in addition to. Do you have a reputable lambo shop near you to work on a lambo? Having to ship a car for work is a b#tch.

To me, if I had to sell my viper to buy a lambo, then I cant afford a lambo.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only reason to buy a used G is to send it to UGR and get TT done to it.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The depreciation during the factory warranty period is FAR FAR _FAR_ GREATER than the maintenance costs.

If that is the reason your club member keeps getting new murci's he's very bad at math.

I've been looking for a superleggera for years now. 08 SL's that MSRP'd in the 240's now sell in the high 140's. Murci's have similar depreciation, as do vipers.

The first couple years are the worst, then the depreciation rate tapers off.

Not to get off topic, but I wouldn't say all Vipers depreciate completely.... A 96 B/W GTS sold for around $66k brand new. If you found a low miled one in Pristine condition.. which is basically the same as brand new if it has low enough miles, you would probably end up paying in the mid 40ks-50ks for it. That's still a pretty strong value for a 15 year old car. I actually just found a 96 GTS on cars.com with 3,335 miles selling for nearly $70k! Whether that actually sells for that amount or not, it's nice to see these cars are still holding their value strongly! :)

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk to someone that actualy owns and MAINTAINS one. They are euro trash beauties. If you are not a good mechanic I hope that you can afford one and BTW buy replacement parts 2 at a time. Maybe you're rich and have a live in mechanic at your garage. Other than that the Viper is enough trouble and your wife should have an Acura or Lexus. My wife has an Acura TL and my daily is a PU truck. GTS Bruce

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last summer I spent most of my miles ('99 ACR) with a '06 Gallardo e-gear. The Gallardo was treated a little easier than the ACR. But we were the only two cars of about 10 that had zero break downs (C5s, C6s, C6Z06, 996Ts, etc).

I decided against the Gallardo because ownership seemed too easy. The only thing the Gallardo spent more than the ACR was tires over ~15k miles from March-November.

The e-gear is a blast. It is very agressive when you want it to be, and very calm when you want it to be. The car is a total Jeckll/hyde. The '06+ has more power and a nicer interior. Just make sure you get a clutch snap to see what the life is left. Otherwise, there sin't much that can go wrong. Don't get an '04 that is a 001-400 production car, they had some issues.

The Gallardo seemed too easy for me, so I went with the Murci. The Gallardo seems like the better car to be driven frequently, but I wanted to be beyond unique. Unfortunately, there is a much bigger financial requirement for the Murci to do the same miles.

If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

soo quiet:
YouTube - Video 17

YouTube - Video 24

A friend's yellow SuperG with a slightly aftermarket exhaust (sift through the video for it):
YouTube - Malibu run 2-27-2011

Nick

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. Ill defiently PM you if I have any questions.

But as of now I probally wont get the gallardo. Simply because I can more than likely only aford a 2004.

The 2004 dosent have the engine under glass that I desire. I searched on Ebay and couldnt find any engine covers. All I could find were the stock 2004 engine covers that are body colored with small vents. These were 3-5K so I can imagine that even if I could find the glass engine cover im looking at 6-8K for it. I was really hopeing it was like my nsx were you could purchase carbon fiber lexan engine covers all day for under a grand. LOL..Thats what I get for compareing a Honda to a lambo.

As well 500 HP...Ive herd these actually dyno 400 awhp and the cars run 12.4 at 117 mph in the 1/4 mile and do 0-60 in 4.2.

My current Viper has 490 rwhp and is an easy 11 second car and 0-60 in mid 3's car. I know you dont buy a gallardo just for the numbers but it really seems like quite a down grade performance wise.

Also the 2004 interior just seems quite plain to me.

As I mentioned money is a factor and I just cant seem to justify buying a 2004 gallardo just to have a gallardo when really I want a minimum 550 HP engine under glass gallardo. I think these didnt come out till 2006?

Nice pics BTW

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I kinda agree with your GTR statement, but I still do like the GTR....just not as much as a Viper of course ;)

However, for looks the NSX is up there with the Viper, it's very exotic for the price. Considering you said you had a 91 and it was supercharged, do you think that's maybe why you could have had so many problems? Like I said, if I ever bought one, I'd like to get a late model, maybe somewhere between 2002-2005. I wouldn't supercharge it either and it would mainly be for street driving like my Viper is. I've always just thought it was a beautiful car, so I really hope the horror stories about all the problems you had aren't like that for most NSX.

Heres my nsx

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUvtDuyfm7g[/media]

I owned my viper and the nsx together for a year before i sold the nsx.

Honestly to me these cars get cross shopped quite a biut but I honestly couldnt tell you why.

The nsx has the mid engine under glass wich is a plus. But its a hideous engine desighned in 1991. The Viper with its traditional engine location seems like nothing unique. But when you pop the hood and see the 505 cubic inch numbering on the intake surround your blood gets pumping.

My NSX was more exotic looking than my viper. But it was wide body ect. stock vs stock and I think the Viper has much more presence.

One thing I can say positive about the nsx was the interior. It is amazeing for a 1991 desighn. Still looked good by todays standards, REALLY good.

The problem I had with my nsx is while the seating posistion was AWESOME and the visibility through the wide front window was mesmerizing. Even with the supercharger it was a BIT slower than my old stock 1999 viper. Its this utter slowness that reminds you your in a fancy Honda.

The nsx crowd is always reminding you how it was the first all aluminum car and desighned by a famous race car driver from the ground up and how it competed with ferrari and kicked the F cars butt ect.

Thing is that was all 20 years ago.

Viper on the otherhand...Still matters right here and now.

Atleaste thats why I traded in my nsx and kept my viper

Last edited:

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The nsx crowd is always reminding you how it was the first all aluminum car and desighned by a famous race car driver

Thing is that was all 20 years ago. :lmao:

That may be true for a Japanese car do a little research, think you will find that statement
Would apply to vehicles from near the time autos were invented. :rolleyes:

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife wants to drive the Viper as well so this year I agreed to meet her half way. I will now let her sit in the passenger seat. it's a start. :)

Twister, if you want to trade your Viper for a Lambo, I say do it. Make yourself happy. You only live once.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. Ill defiently PM you if I have any questions.

But as of now I probally wont get the gallardo. Simply because I can more than likely only aford a 2004.

The 2004 dosent have the engine under glass that I desire. I searched on Ebay and couldnt find any engine covers. All I could find were the stock 2004 engine covers that are body colored with small vents. These were 3-5K so I can imagine that even if I could find the glass engine cover im looking at 6-8K for it. I was really hopeing it was like my nsx were you could purchase carbon fiber lexan engine covers all day for under a grand. LOL..Thats what I get for compareing a Honda to a lambo.

As well 500 HP...Ive herd these actually dyno 400 awhp and the cars run 12.4 at 117 mph in the 1/4 mile and do 0-60 in 4.2.

My current Viper has 490 rwhp and is an easy 11 second car and 0-60 in mid 3's car. I know you dont buy a gallardo just for the numbers but it really seems like quite a down grade performance wise.

Also the 2004 interior just seems quite plain to me.

As I mentioned money is a factor and I just cant seem to justify buying a 2004 gallardo just to have a gallardo when really I want a minimum 550 HP engine under glass gallardo. I think these didnt come out till 2006?

Nice pics BTW
The '06 would start to fall behind in 3rd and 4th I put more distance on it ('99 ACR: catless & b&b cbe).

If you look, there are '06s for the $100k mark; you might be able to get them lower.

I think '06 was the first year for the glass engine cover. It's a great work bench, especially for Viper parts. :rolaugh:

You must be registered for see images

Nick

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Man, I gotta get new glasses. I thought this read , " Thinking about a used Lamb," and I was wondering what part of Montana you were from , and I was just a bit hesitant to read this thread.

Murci me, I can't believe I had the gall , Lordy , to bring this up --- going back to my room now!