Thinking about supercharging my car instead of trade for an 08...

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I was thinking about trading my car for the 08 but now I'm thinking I'll just supercharge it. So is it worth the extra effort to send the car accross the border to the States to get my install done or should I just use a local shop? Just looking to do the paxton blower...is it a pretty easy install and tune? I don't want to have my engine blow up or anything so I am a bit worried. No local shop around here that I have found has done a supercharger on a Viper before. Thanks in advance for your input and what are your thoughts on supercharging my current one instead of trading it?? It only has about 4000 miles on it.

Ricky :2tu:

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The difficulty depends on the power level you are looking for. If all you want is a Paxton and keep the rest stock, it's not a complicated install, but still requires some know-how. Personally, I wouldn't let an inexperienced shop do it. Worth the money to send it to an expert.

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ricky,

If you are serious about supercharging your car, you will not find a better person to do it for you than Dan Cragin of DC Performance, in Los Angeles. :cool:

http://www.dcperformanceinc.com/

He has installed many (probably more than anybody else), has an impeccable reputation for quality and integrity and he knows how to fine tune your car after the SC installation like nobody else. :usa: :usa:

He is highly respected in the Socal Viper community and I have never heard one bad word or comment about him, his work or his company.

I know that it would be quite a long way for you, but let me assure you: well worth it! :ooo:

Vypr Phil

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are thinking about letting an inexperienced shop modify your car . . . DON'T.

I made the mistake of trusting my Viper to a local Colorado shop without specific Viper experience. My car is now at DC Performance in California getting all the stuff fixed that the local shop screwed up. Get the work done right the first time by people who know what they are doing. General experience with other cars does not translate into competence with a Viper.

Also, if you ever decide to sell the car, having the work done at a shop such as DC will help the resale value.

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dans blower flash did wonders for my supercharged SRT Ram. I gained a full second in the 1/4 mile with similar density altitudes about 2 weeks apart. Cant beat that bang for the buck for under 1K.

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do it Ricky, you won't be disappointed. 600 HP '08 should put down 520-540 to the wheels, stock '03-'06 with stock Paxton kit will put down 600 to the wheels easy. Paxton install is fairly simple if you have some mechanical aptitude, took me about 5 Saturdays but I installed a few extra supporting pieces. Stock tune from Paxton in the split second box is safe so you really don't have to "tune" it after the install if you don't want to. If you're going to ship it DLM in Florida is highly recommended for blower installs as well.

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, if you ever decide to sell the car, having the work done at a shop such as DC will help the resale value.

Great observation, never actually thought of this!! :2tu:

Probably would not apply to self-installation of a SC system. :confused:

As mentioned by "Slither" you do not have to tune it after the complete kit install, but after spending this kind of money, why not spend a few $ more to optimize "the beast"? :D

SRTLEN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go for it Ricky, heard nothing but good things about the Gen3 kit. I ordered one, should arrive next week. I can use a wrench so I will do the install myself.
Slither currious as to what you mean by extra supporting pieces?

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seek out a competent shop and get it done the performance gains of the Paxton are well worth it. Good luck.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at doing the same thing, only good things about the genIII kit. If I could swing an 08, I'd already have one reserved, but the Paxton is a killer alternative for the $.

If you have the $ and time, from what I've read about DC, the piece of mind of using them or someone like them would be worth it.

I'm planning on doing it myself, but I've installed 6 various other kits (paxton/vortech/procharger) on other cars I've owned so I feel pretty confident about it. Now,tuning is something else - Since Jason Heffenr left Maryland, I'm still working on that research.

Also, FWIW, I had an FMU like the Paxton kit uses freeze on me back in '97 and blew a head gasket. Since then I've always installed a fuel pressure & A/F guage with or prior to the supercharger kit - once bitten, twice shy.

Here's the Paxton kit install manual so you can see what the install is like - it's not bad at all considering:
http://www.paxtonauto.com/pdf/manuals/4809644.pdf

SRT + Paxton + solid tune: if that's not satisfaction, then entering into the space program is probably the next step. LOL

Good luck & please keep us updated on your plans & results.

Dave.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know of a few members in Vancouver who have had superchargers done. If you want a contact PM me.
By the way, go with the 08 instead!

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRTLEN, don't want to hijack Ricky's thread but supporting pieces I put on with the kit (would advise for all Paxton installs):
1. ATI super damper. Dump the stock harmonic damper, the damper is the "link" that attaches the entire pulley system to the crank. Stock damper is cast iron, ATI is steel two piece bolted design and much stronger.
2. Roe Racing crank pinning kit. No keyway in the crank on Vipers, only the interference fit of the damper onto the crank snout and the damper bolt hold the damper in place on the crank. Stock Paxton kit comes with 1/8" diameter pins to pin the damper to the crank. Roe Racing kit uses two 1/4" diameter rolled steel pins which are much stronger.
3. DLM intercooler (the front mount intercooler for cooling water in the system with ambient air passing by the car). Paxton kit comes with a Setrab oil cooler which is pretty small, though I'm sure Paxton did their HEX calcs and it is adequate for stock boost conditions. Doesn't hurt to have more water volume and surface area to cool the water in the system though (water in turn cools the hot air discharging from the blower).
4. As DMan states, fuel pressure and A/F ratio gauges are always a good idea.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John,

I'm in Ellicott City, MD ... although I work at sites ranging from Germantown area, DC, and McLean.

Dave.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the same boat and most likely will do the Paxton route instead of a new car. In the end it is cheaper and i will still have a viper with more hp than the 2008 and besides i like the look of my 2003 better.

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heffner did my 03....after tons of phone advise from Doug Levin, I couldn't be happier. (Im in Gaitherburg, MD) I did all the safeguards, have about 7,000 Blown miles...ZERO problems. John

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
SRTRicky,

One of our local guys installed his own Paxton and has had zero problems. I had many problems with my first Paxton install, all tuning related and I made the mistake of changing heads and adding headers at the same time I added the Paxton. Don't do this on your own.

That said, it's really hard to beat DC Performance for a supercharger install.

Dan

k4site

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would purchase the new one. You know all the upgrading DC did with the new car and that was done to keep the engine and drive train from breaking. So you are going to add 200 hp and you think that the engine and drive train will take it...no way. They make these units to take so much HP, anything over that they start to come apart.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would purchase the new one. You know all the upgrading DC did with the new car and that was done to keep the engine and drive train from breaking. So you are going to add 200 hp and you think that the engine and drive train will take it...no way. They make these units to take so much HP, anything over that they start to come apart.

K4site, you are kidding right??? There are currently many SRT-10's with 650 - 700rwhp running out there. While it is true the '08 Viper may have some valued improvements to suggest that the current Gen3 Viper cannot handle the addition of 200 crank hp relatively trouble free is baseless.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Baseless and disproven. The reliabilty of the these cars and excellent work by our aftermarket supporters is more than just anecdotal evidence.

While the performance is extreme, the measure is anything but.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Question: Seems like many are speculating the '08 price to be est. at $90k-$95k. You can pick up an '06 coupe for low to mid $70's. What do you guys estimate an installed Paxton to cost - $10k? That would = savings of about $10k and eliminate the need to wait for the fall. Is this about right? I've heard a ton about the Paxtons but am unfamiliar with the installed price. thanks!

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree SnakeEye.

I know of quite a few that has the SC and no problems. One I know that has the Paxton done by DLM and his Viper comes in near 700 whp. Has 16000 miles with the SC and not one problem.

Any day My 2006 Coupe will be picked up and transported to DLM in Florida for the basic Paxton kit install with a new billet damper a new DLM heavy duty inter cooler and pump and a few other goodies but no internal engine changes. All Doug's systems are bullet proof and he stands by his work. Tremendous customer service.

I already have corsa track and 3.55 gears. Run craps are gone.

Can't wait. The old man is getting excited. ;)

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend of mine here in Detroit are has the bolt on paxton kit with diff exhuast and other minor changes and put down 690+rwhp and 620rwtq

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything new about the Roe GenIII blower? Seems like it has been in the works for a while but no news...

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything new about the Roe GenIII blower? Seems like it has been in the works for a while but no news...

In the fall of '06, Roe told me early 2007 was the availability target for the Gen 3 superchargers. They claim a 25% hp gain at 5lb boost. Thats 500 to 640hp.
Not to shabby.

Jim

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have 2 DLM supercharged vipers,SRT and coupe. THe best cars i've ever had PERIOD!! ZERO problems and i'm going to step up soon on the SRT with more boost.

Max

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang