Thinking of a new TA... opinions please!

BossGT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys! I have been out of the Viper game for a while but am just hooked on the new generation five! I am a sucker for orange so I am considering the TA.

What do you guys think? Is it worth the money? It will be a $120400 MSRP car. What do you think these cars will sell for? Sticker?

I am hearing more negative than positive feedback on the forums about the Gen 5 cars.... What is everyone thinking?

I have had four vipers in the past and love the cars. But I want to make sure I don't get killed on this car when I go to sell it.

I already know of a track pack car with a $108800 MSRP that I can buy today for $90k....but I really want the orange and carbon bits. Let me know your thoughts!

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been an owner at some point of all prior generations of Vipers and bought a Gen V earlier this year. I initially wondered the same, but I absolutely feel the Gen V IS worth the money....the TA included. They have made so many improvements to this car over the previous generation. You don't actually realize how GREAT the car is until you own one. The car is such a blast to drive and I have never put so many miles on a Viper in 6 months of ownership. Seriously, don't believe all the "junk" you read in the forums or the magazines. A lot of the magazines had pre-production cars or well abused media cars that were not inspected. SRT now has a handle on that from what I understand. If you're a sucker for orange, go for the TA!!! You will not be dissappointed.....I promise .:2tu:

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will not find a single gen V owner that dislikes their car. They are amazing all around. The rags have never liked them ( I mean they still complain about it being loud, hot sills, has guzzling ).

The TA is well worth the cash for what it is, it has already bested Laguna on lesser tires than the ZR-1.

I ordered my SRT sight unseen, never having driven a Viper and I am thrilled with the purchase.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact you're asking shows you know not to believe evrything you read, good idea in asking here. You have trolls, people who would never buy but love vipers, owners who may buy the new gen or not, and gen5 current owners. Different groups post at different frequency.

As for negative stuff, most of it is over some less than stellar marketing decisions by SRT and not about the car itself. It's hard to argue that a record setting gen5 is somehow not a good car or worth the $ of cars performing at lower levels that cost significantly more .. if you're really looking at performance. Negative people tend to "talk" louder than positive, especially on the internet.

Is every single owner happy? Well, I'd say no, since we see used ones already and we know of at least one buy-back that was a bit ugly from a guy on these forums. But can you say that of any car in the world? I'd bet the "happy" statistic is WAY higher than other cars in it's class, the unhappy experience is extremely low in vipers in general, and for the gen5 I'd say with the improvements, this is even more the case.

What's not to like really, record setting road racer, low 11 sec strip time for TA already achieved by mags, 200+ top end, lux style interior fitting of any exotic, killer looks, bad-ass reputation, state of the art electronics now, where is the unhappy component? As a multiple viper owner over the past 15 yrs, I've consumed my share of SRT cool-aid, so I know I'm positively slanted, but none of these points is very arguable, maybe looks, but I think 98% would agree on how awesome the TA looks.

Is it worth it? Very personal question. I DO think the TA is worth $120K. I DON'T think a GTS is worth $140k, but that's because the stuff it buys you isn't my priority, others will strongly disagee with me. At $90k the viper is a crazy deal, but that's not a TA, and it's about what you really want.

So, you say, with all that positivity why isn't my order in yet? I want to see resolution to the "pulling power" issue that some of the guys are working with SRT techs on. I do track my cars, open track and strip, so I need to know it's not going to power down from a burnout, etc. And although I love the look, it's not a color I'd buy, in terms of the TA colors offered. Right now, I'm diggin the silver. Since the race car is silver I don't know why they didn't use that as one of the TA colors, but whatev's. So I'm an active shopper I guess, waiting on some dust settling myself. But buying a TA, IMO, is worth it at MSRP for sure, personally I'd not pay a market adjustment but that's not a viper thing, I wouldn't do that for any car, that's just me.

OP
OP
B

BossGT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All good points gentlemen! I am hearing buzz from dealers that they are afraid to pay anything more than $80-85k for a used track pack car that was $108800 original MSRP.....I have seen the dealers paying $120 for used GTS models, showing a $15-20k depreciation. So its on par with the prices they are listing for the used trackpack cars. I mean, there is one available online now for $97k asking price with 700 miles I think. I already got him to come down to $95k with the first phone call. So I assume the dealer probably paid $80-85 for the car.

I just want to be sure the value holds on the TA, I dont want to buy it for $120k and its worth $90k in a year. I would cry.

Thoughts?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want an orange car, you only have one option - unless you custom paint another car. Had I known about the orange TA, I'd have ordered that one instead of my white SRT. I'm a sucker for orange cars, have owned many. I'd have paid $10K more than I did for mine to get one, also - but mostly for the carbon bits and the magnetic shocks. I don't really see the need for the larger front brake calipers, as my track pack brakes have waaaaay more stopping power than I've needed at the track.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want an orange car, you only have one option - unless you custom paint another car. Had I known about the orange TA, I'd have ordered that one instead of my white SRT. I'm a sucker for orange cars, have owned many. I'd have paid $10K more than I did for mine to get one, also - but mostly for the carbon bits and the magnetic shocks. I don't really see the need for the larger front brake calipers, as my track pack brakes have waaaaay more stopping power than I've needed at the track.

Tony...I'd guess Prefix will turn your white to orange with clear, for something in that range ;-)

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All good points gentlemen! I am hearing buzz from dealers that they are afraid to pay anything more than $80-85k for a used track pack car that was $108800 original MSRP.....I have seen the dealers paying $120 for used GTS models, showing a $15-20k depreciation. So its on par with the prices they are listing for the used trackpack cars. I mean, there is one available online now for $97k asking price with 700 miles I think. I already got him to come down to $95k with the first phone call. So I assume the dealer probably paid $80-85 for the car.

I just want to be sure the value holds on the TA, I dont want to buy it for $120k and its worth $90k in a year. I would cry.

Thoughts?

Definitely know what you mean, but I personally don't think so. The TA, if SRT does what it says, will be very limited production, so if someone wants one there's a very limited selection. And it's the top of the food chain. Now, if we get an ACR, then I'd think it'd take value hit to some degree. I'd expect a TA to go for $105-110 a year later with low mis. But this stuff is impossible to predict, I mean they could take a dive for no reason or hold very strong, it's all a guess, but my my guess is it'll do way better in value then other models, until an ACR exists.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any car associated with 'track' will depreciate more than a base model non-track car...make doesn't matter...esp with some miles on it. There is a member here w an orange gen 4 ACR which is 'as new' and heavily discounted. Also, I think orange is not that popular and will be the highest production TA.

I would buy the ACR. IMO

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've come around to really liking the TA. If you think you'll track it a lot, no question I'd jump on it! But keep in mind that it has 20% stiffer springs and much stiffer sway bars than the SRT and GTS models. Ride will be rough. If you think you'll use it almost entirely for the street, you may want to get an SRT or GTS with the carbon aero package.

For me, I'd like to get a TA one day as my primary track car. Bad to the bone! Or if you don't mind waiting a while you can hold out for the ACR, but that may be a long time. Also the ACR might be a high dollar machine, at least that's one of the many rumors.

PS- I'm one hell of a happy Gen V owner. 4,500 miles and three road courses, life's good.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boss Gt- sent you a private message a couple of days ago on the track pack car . Can you send me the dealers name Thanks

OP
OP
B

BossGT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not a dealer and I cannot give out this individuals name. Sorry.

There is a dealer that has one though online, I think it might be viperexchange or whatever that has the car for $97k asking. I got him down to $95k.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't buy it PM me the name? Not sure why you cant give it out if hes selling it and you aren't buying it?

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If within my current budget, I would go for the TA. If you're worried about resale, keep it stock, document everything, maintain it meticulously but don't be afraid to put the miles on and enjoy. Selling in a few years with 3k, 5k or 10k won't have as much of an impact on the selling price as it will on your enjoyment of the car, IMHO and experience. The diff in selling price now for a 2010 Viper with 3k vs 10k is minimal (probably less than $5k) compared to driver "B" who used the car 3x as much during the 3 years....

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do an image search for the Viper TA. I think you will find that it is coolest looking car on the road. It's not just beautiful, is also has serious track credibility.

You must be registered for see images attach

Very few cars have a good resale value, so if you have $120,000, and you want to keep it for a few years, then who cares about resale?

~Jay

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The money thing seems to be very important to you - more than it should but if that's your reality, I'd go for that $109K deal that you can get for $90K. A good part of its depreciation has taken place here and you can trade it in on a slightly used TA in a couple of years with little loss.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62