This must be a Scam

Looki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found this car on Auto trader

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

And sent a message off asking why the car was so far under market value and below is the response I received.

Looki

The car is in pristine condition, I am the one and only owner of it. The car was never involved in any kind of accidents, always garage kept, I have the clear and clean title of it. The reason this car is underpriced than similar on the market is that I am interested in a fast sale, due my son's health issues, I also work for the army and currently deployed in Iraq, and the fact that I am not close to my familly in this hard moments is killing me, but I am serving our country so I must accept the situation. Since I am not able to handle this deal personally, when I left the states, I called a shipping company that I used in the past for some purchases to take the car and handle the transaction for me, they also offering 3rd party services, so we can both be rest assured that everything will go as we plan. The car is located at their terminal in Vegas, they stated that is already assigned to a transporter and awaiting shipping directions, also the shipment withing US is already paid by me. If you decide to buy this car, I will need your full name, delivery address, contact number and a fax number, once I will have these details, I will forward them to the shipping company, they will start the transaction, do all the paperwork, provide you a tracking number, after they might require a deposit to be sent in order to deliver the car, once the payment is confirmed, they will release the shipment and you will be receiving it within 5 days. Please note that you will have 5 days from the receiving date, to test drive the car, and inspect it to a local dealer, if by ANY reason you are not satisfied with the car you will have to call them, they will come and get the car, and give you a check for the entire amount, you will not be liable of any delivery cost in case you are not satisfied with it, either case, you will confirm that you want the car, and they will release the funds to me. If you decide to move forwarad, I will wait for your details so we can start the transaction, and I am sure you will enjoy this car a s much as I did. Please let me know what you decide either case

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes this is a scam, the "fast sell" gives it away. One time somebody put a viper for sale saying that her husband died and she didn't want alot of money for it so she tried to sell it for 20K. It ended up being a member on this forums car.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the following just doesn't sound right for a 1 yr old 1,000 mile car. wouldn't this be obvious:?

chassis is untouched, the tires are original, and everything right down to the battery is original in the engine compartment. This car starts the first time, every time, and everything operates as it should.

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Email the guy and tell them that you are in Vegas and would like to personally inspect the car at the warehouse and that if it is as represented, you will purchase the car in person. I'll bet that there will be some excuse that prevents you from visiting the site. Anyway, it might be interesting to see how he reacts.

VENOMIS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He states the car is in vegas. Ask for the address and have a member in vegas go look at it. Im sure youd get the run around why so and so is unavailable to see the vehicle. Tell him you want the vin# to run a car fax. I bet he wont give you that either. LOL I Got beat to it:omg::rolaugh::lmao::drive:

Last edited:

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These scammers should learn to write in English better. "If by ANY reason..." you think I am wrong, re-read the scammer's letter. Typos, run-ons, improper phrases...

It is an absolute shame that scummy people like that exist.

musicncars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ran a carfax.......

08/29/2007 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Mentor, OH Registered as
corporate vehicle
09/08/2007 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Mentor, OH
Title #5703696839

clean.....its registered as a corporate car? left a message on the voice mail...well see what happens.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yeah, i saw that it's located in Ohio from Autotrader, but he claimed it was in Vegas..

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If he says all of a sudden the car is not in vegas but actually in Mentor Ohio, I could go look at it, just let me know. But don't be suprised if it is real I come back with it that day title in hand ;) That car has 25k in profit in it at that price... so it probably is a scam...

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this is a scam, (which it probally is), what are the laws in the USA? Is it worth informing the police? What are your rights?
The first Viper I bought in the United Kingdom, I found out had been in a accident in Florida, the car had also been issued with a certificate of Destruction! I bought the car from a Dealer in the UK, I got the police involved, the DVLA, Customs and Exicise and my credit card company! IT took a while but I did get ALL my monies back. I hate scams and the low life that think they can get away with taking peoples hard earned cash!

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had the same email from a different car on autotrader. New it was a scam but wanted to see have far it would go. He would never let me see the car and wanted just a small deposit "guaranteed" of $990 through Western Union. $990.00??? I know through other dealings that you do not need an ID for anything less that $1,000.00 with Western Union so I called him on it and that was the last I heard from him.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm sure it's not a scam i sent him my Social Security num, my bank acct, num, and prepaid the shipping back to Michigan. :crazy2: yeah right !

BIG SCAM, someone needs to take people like this down.

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
its a scam. im running into this non stop trying to get a good jeep srt8 at a good price. im seeing some come in at 13k-19k. i mess with them a bit. they tell me they will ship it for free to me. then i tell them i live only a 1/2 hour away and want to drive it. the emails stop at that point.