Those who are selling - - how's the market?

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those who are selling - - how\'s the market?

I know its a sad prospect (except for those trading up to SRT-10s) but there are a lot of Vipers out there for sale right now. I was originally looking to get into a 97 or 98 GTS, but having seen a Sapphire '01 I will probably be waiting another year to afford the newer car.

My question to those who are now, or who have recently sold their Viper, is how good is the buying market?

In a few weeks I am going to be putting my C5 up for sale and I see a lot of people asking crazy #s for their cars expecting them to move. I guess I will find out how long it takes, but how is the Viper market right now - are they selling quickly? How many people are coming up with 50-70k buying used GTS's?

I'd also be interested in hearing good and bad selling experiences if you'll share them.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Those who are selling - - how\'s the market?

It is a buyers market and for sellers it's getting worse. I would wait until after we kick Iraq's butt to sell anything major but then again Iraq is just the start. You may want to talk with Nathan at dodgevipersforsale.com. He has been selling but at what prices I am not sure.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TobyT:
It is a buyers market and for sellers it's getting worse. I would wait until after we kick Iraq's butt to sell anything major but then again Iraq is just the start. You may want to talk with Nathan at dodgevipersforsale.com. He has been selling but at what prices I am not sure.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think dodgevipersforsale.com Vipers are about an 18% markup on what you should expect to pay. Probably good people to deal with and you probably won't get "screwed", but the prices are not a bargain.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do yourself a BIG favor and Call Bill Pemberton, when you are ready to close a deal.

Woodhouse Dodge...1-800-889-1893
wink.gif

You won't be sorry! In one phone call ALL your concerns are over!

Best , Dave

OP
OP
T

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know exactly what I want, and I have to blame Bird on getting me hooked. Before I saw his car, I had never seen the Sapphire Blue on a Viper. The funny thing is that I have a 2001 Viper brochure from when I was shopping and ended up with the C5. If not the Sapphire Blue, then I will likely go for a 97-98 and save myself some money.

I know what the cars are worth and what people are asking, and although Woodhouse seems to have a sterling reputation, I'm pretty sure that I will be buying from a private seller when the time comes. It is not a question of service or quality, just a question of saving more money for mods.
hail[1].gif

As for dodgevipersforsale.com, I have looked through their eveolving inventory and they find some clean cars, but Nate and (is it his son?) seem to cater more to the upper tier of the market. I'm still a "kid" of 23 and don't have life savings or matured stocks to sell to pay extra. Part of the problem is that I am not a shopper who buys for prestige or notoriety. I go for performance and quality. I also know what I want, and don't need a lot of "gilding of the lily" to make the sale. That sort of thing is nice when you're spending 55-90 or more on a brand new car where it will be taking a sharp decline in depreciation in the first two years, but not on a used car - even a Viper. That says nothing against these guys. They are avid board members, enthusiasts, and run a fair business. I simply intend to buy a car at or below the prices they pay for them, not after a mark-up.

Yes, the timing right now would be ideal for any buyer. I wish I was ready to buy today. However, the voice of common sense started buzzing in my ear and I've decided to wipe out my college debt this Spring (could buy TWO Gen I's) and save from there. I would prefer to zero out my debt and move up from there as opposed to putting half down on a GTS and then oweing against a car loan and my college loans.

On the plus side, a GTS will cost me FAR less over a 5 year period than a C5 would. Simply because a C5 would go to work with me, while a GTS would go on collector insurance. The initial cost will be higher, but I'll save thousands down the road. That, and Dodge has a solid warranty and extended warranty while my experiences with GM have turned me off to their products and service.

spdrcrj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Brett.....when are you looking to buy? I want a '97 GTS too but after I leave and come back from a deployment. Maybe sep timeframe. Maybe we can talk to Bill Pemberton about a two car deal?
supergrin.gif
bounce.gif

OP
OP
T

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm game.
cool.gif

If I was going to get a 97-98, I'd be doing it this year. Red looks awesome on these cars, as does the blue/white. But it was Dave's Deep Sapphire Blue with silver stripes '01 GTS that threw my plan for a loop. Its blue during the day, looks black at night. It is also a hot color combo that is probably the classiest looking paint scheme available for the Viper from DC. The dark metallic blue paint with polished emblems and the soft contrast of the silver paint. Beautiful. I like the stock rims for that year, too, but I would be hard-pressed not to put some ACR BBS style rims on the car to go with the stripes. For me, that is the ultimate Viper. For now, I will stick to my guns and wait in the hopes of getting that '01. But with expectations of the C5 rolling out of my garage for good by March.... it may get tough to wait through the summer, let alone through to NEXT summer to get a Viper. In that situation, I would be perfectly happy with a red 98.
jester.gif

spdrcrj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like the blue and white '97. I heard the cam changed in '98 and the engine doesnt "lope" after '97. '97 is also what I can afford. I saw the saphire blue on on dodgevipersforsale.com and I love that color too. I like the '97 wheels better because of the thin spokes. I want to put slotted and drilled rotors on my Viper and the thinner wheel spokes will allow more of the brakes to be seen.
yesnod.gif
We'll have to stay in touch.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a 2001 sapphire blue viper(no stripes) with the tan interior. My 2003 SRT just went to D1 status. The Dodge dealership in Phoenix wants to give me 51,000 for the car. The car is in excellent shape but has 15,000 miles on it(went to Nashville and back from Arizona). I live in a small town so going to the big city(Phoenix or Vegas) puts 400 miles on the car round trip.

TZL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

bob,

i e-mailed you

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by doctorbob:
I have a 2001 sapphire blue viper(no stripes) with the tan interior. My 2003 SRT just went to D1 status. The Dodge dealership in Phoenix wants to give me 51,000 for the car. The car is in excellent shape but has 15,000 miles on it(went to Nashville and back from Arizona). I live in a small town so going to the big city(Phoenix or Vegas) puts 400 miles on the car round trip.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark 00 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lt1, Call
hail[1].gif
Bill Pemberton before you go any further. I bought a GTS for 5K less than your low # (2 years ago....) A minute of time could save big bucks.

Just my 2cnts

OP
OP
T

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Will do. I've corresponded with him before via PM on this site. When I get my house of cards in order again, I will be reaching out to everyone and their brother to find what I'm looking for.