Thunderhill: Gavin & JoeB

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey!

Good running with you guys at Thunderhill this weekend. You guys did an awesome job of showing the greenflag regulars what the viper is all about. Awesome driving in the 2:09-2:10s, but it's just a bit too bad there were only 4 Vipers. Clearly as a group the Vipers were the class of the event. Now, if we could just enlist a few more of these NorCal guys to take the velvet ropes down from around their cars and get out to the track. . .

I'm pretty sure you've got bragging rights on SoCal Reb Joe.

Gav, I know the sheep were thick and distracting, but we've got to learn to keep you on the track.

Way fun, but the best part was giving all those cute young California girls rides in the big bad snakes. I can still see Lorraine looking for the "oh sh*t" handle and screaming as we go over the bypass. AAAaahhhhhhh!!!!
rofl.gif

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is one of my favorite tracks! You were running the bypass is Turn 5? What times were all the Vipers running? Hoosiers or street tires?

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken,

We used the by-pass.

The weather was on the hot side (100+)and the track a little loose but otherwise,as you said,TH is a great track.

I know that Gavin had some heat related problems with his car.
As always,I did not take my Viper (it is my street car and ,if I track it,I know that I will modify it so much that it will become a race car only),but instead my Roush Mustang T/A.

Even with traffic and only a few hours of seat time in it,I was turning low to mid 50" and had some scary moments due to the facts that the closing speed was so high that some drivers (including a very nice Ferrari)did not use their rear view mirrors very well in the passing zones.

Luc.00GTS

OP
OP
M

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
K Adelberg wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>You were running the bypass is Turn 5? What times were all the Vipers running? Hoosiers or street tires?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, the bypass was great. It was the first time I ran that config, and I tell you there was some puckering going on until I got it figured out. There's a pretty fine line over that thing, too far right the track is rough and upsets the car, too far left and you end up in the marbles. I made the classic rookie mistake on my 3rd lap or so by turning the wheel before the car got light at the crest -- the rear-end wanted to come around REAL bad, once was enough, thank you.

Gavin and I were on Pilot Sports, Joe was running hoosiers.

The last session, not the fastest of the day by far, was the only one we got real times on, 2:10.3, I'm guessing all of us were running within a .5 sec or so. Best times were probably 1 to 1.5 secs faster, but thats a WAG.

Luc was tearing it up in his TA car. Fun (but loud), very fast.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great photos Eric - glad I took the guys card.

Super weekend except for the overheating problems - time for a radiator - thanks for the help Luc - your evaluation of my symptoms was right on the mark - I retset the engine warning light as you suggested, backed out of it to keep the temp light from coming on and had no more problems - even manged to run a few respectable lap times with Eric.

We missed the Southern California guys for sure and we have to get a few more NorCal guys to these events.
Greenflag is at Button Willow right after Thanksgiving so Me n Eric will be there - Joe you up for it?

**** those sheep - sure was a wooly one in turn three - going off backwords in that turn is B****dy scarey. Seriously, You have to do something dumb and stupid to go off in that turn... I was dumb and stupid.

Have to give kudos to all the guys tearing up the track in there Mustangs etc- great people to hang with off track too - when you see some of the older guys out there driving the wheels of their passion it make the idea of getting older a bit more appealing.

Dinner was a kick - awards were great - mine go on the wall in the garage.
Looking forward to the next one

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgot to mention the bypass - bl**dy Hell - I tried every line over that thing - I liked the bump method - good ride.

Hey Eric.... don't you think if we tell Adelberg our times he at least gives us his!!!! Common Ken - fess up!!! ( we are willing to be impressed )Maybe I could swap you a sheep or two for a couple of tips!!!

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you guys had a blast...

Joe, I have one clasp from my 4 velvet ropes disconnected...Who knows what could happen next!!!

Sheeeeeeeeeeesh, I thought it was too hot even for the sheeeps!!

Tomer

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MtHam ACR:

I'm pretty sure you've got bragging rights on SoCal Reb, JoeB

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad you guys had fun, wish I was there but California Speedway was a blast even though I lost 5th & 6th gear. JoeB does NOT have bragging rights I turned a 2:08.35 there WITH turn #5, I think Adelberg turned a 2:01xx with Viperdays.

SSpeed Racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gavin, Eric and Luc..... Sounds like you guys had a great time!!!! Would love to get back to Thunderhill.

I really like the Idea of a relay race. Someone want to tell me how that whole thing works????

Last time I was at Thunderhill I ran on street tires best time of 2.05 staying right around 2.06. On a hotter day At OTC I was running 2.07. I think Ken A. on Hoosiers was running 2.00 flat. But you know Ken....I dont think he has ever owned a new set of Hoosiers.
laugh.gif
Oh by the way dont ask him what he ran on street tires!!!
laugh.gif

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoCal Rebell:
Glad you guys had fun, wish I was there but California Speedway was a blast even though I lost 5th & 6th gear. JoeB does NOT have bragging rights I turned a 2:08.35 there WITH turn #5, I think Adelberg turned a 2:01xx with Viperdays.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ron, Ron, Ron,
Give me a break. As you said "All it takes is bigger B*lls". Mine are growin. Still not as big as yours, but gettin there. Can you come out and plat the 30 of Nov. and 1st of Dec at Buttonwillow. I just might have bragging rights by then.Remember last time(1/10th of a second)behind you. You too might get Viperitis(Looking in your rear view mirror and seeing a viper on your but).

Eric, Gavin its was a blast runnin with you guys. I must say Eric (Mr safety) you stayed on the track this past weekend again. I stayed on except for once with 2 wheels 1/2 off. Better than Friday (3 times in the dirt)at Buttonwillow.

Some of those Mustang guys are pretty fast.A Vintage car show, Relay race and track time in one weekend. What a blast!
We need more Vipers. We came in 3rd in the relay races.We had 2 Honorary Mustangs-Vipers. Consilation was the LADIES beat the Vettes in 4th place. The Vettes came in LAST. The Imports won
with 2 Magnificent Ferrari's leading their team.
Jonathan, Congrats on your 2:25. You could have done better. Must have been all the dirt under the seats(too much weight)HE-HEHEhe

Viper guys--come to Buttonwillow the 30th & 1 of Dec. I'm sure with all Vipers we could win the rel race.
Great weekend, see ya.

Joe B

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Adelberg ran a 2:01.133 with turn 5 at Viperdays earlier this year on Hoosiers. John was flying at 2:05 on street tires.

However, no bragging rights unless you are under 2 minutes with turn 5 (on Hoosiers).
seeya.gif

What's this about a relay race?

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John,The Ex-Mr Dearing,

Relay race: 5 groups lined up at star/finish in hot pits.
Group 1 car leaves, 20 seconds later group 2 cars leaves.etc
Each car get 2 laps and then comes into the hot pits at the oppsite end and has to stop in a coned off box.(If he or she overuns it he or she must back up)At the front of the box is a flag in the cone. A runner must take a flag (after a complete stop by the driver)and run about 100 ft. to a line and the next car in that group can leave the hot pits. The cars leaving and the cars entering are a safe distance between each other so there is no chance of contact. Each group is timed and the fastest group wins.
There is open passing (Everywhere)on the track. The spacing pretty much gives each driver in each group a free track until the last 2 cars in each group go out. That's when the passing anywhere become critical.
Eric did the most beautiful burnout out of the hots pits. Nice and straight and long(Nice Job). Each car donates 20 dollars and that buys all the corner workers dinner and drinks. They give up a 1/2 hour of their lunch time to work the course for the relay race.

Joe B 01

OP
OP
M

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, here are the mustang guys laying down the smack on the relay race:

-----Original Message-----
supergrin.gif
[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 6:31 AM
To: Eric Christenson
Subject: Re: FW: Norcal SAAC Digest V02 #204

Sounds as if there's a rematch in the works. Say buttonwillow in Nov. Bring your Viper and it's friends.

Dave (the ******) Murray
-----------------

Sspeed Racer wrote <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I really like the Idea of a relay race. Someone want to tell me how that whole thing works???? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The relay was setup with 5 teams, 5 cars each. Each car runs three laps under the clock and stops in a braking box at the back of the pit. After the stop, a runner runs a predetermined distance to signal the next car to go. One thing that was really cool was that the track is open, pass anywhere. The teams are staggered maybe 30 seconds apart; you're really only racing against the clock, but if you catch someone you pass him.

At thunderhill, we only had three vipers, so we had to recruit some vintage mustang guys, they were cool, but we need to get a full compliment of viper representation out there.

Mike, John, guys, we could have really used you.

The venue is greenflag's (www.greenflagdriving.org - webpage is down at this moment) Buttonwillow event in November, the saturday and sunday after thanksgiving. This is typically a great event because the weather is cool and the event is sparsely attended, you are guaranteed as much track time as you can stand. I think the weekend is like $350, and they are a good bunch of guys, social, two-stoke blended margaritas after the day, and a dinner/roast saturday night.

These guys, Team Weinerdog, are pretty good in their stoked 302s, but they don't hold a candle to some of the faster vipers. Clearly the only reason they won is because they brought in a wringer.

OK, so its TeamVipers turn. You guys in?

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, you got my times. The fast guys were Mike, with all that motor work
hail[1].gif
. Tom Glenn was moving too. They were both in the 1:59 range. I was catching Tom, but went off track and changed my alignment. Maybe I should finally buy some Hoosiers rather than sneaking off to the used tire pile.

I think with the bypass in turn 5 a sub 2:00 is very possible. You've got to love the "loosing your stomach" sensation you get in Turn 5. Just remember the exit is banked and will catch you, let the car slide!

Luc, is that the Mustang you had at Laguna? That was great racing you.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be there 11/30-/12/1, do we have a full team now? What if there are more then 5 Vipers (maybe Lance will go), do we do a time-off and the 5 fastest participate (I hope JoeB makes the final 5
laugh.gif
)

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahh Ron,
Your Killin ME! You better get some more Mods done to your car so you can keep up with me in my stock car.(Hint, Hint, Key word here STOCK).Buttonwillow remember you were only 1/10 of a second faster.I must have sneezed that run.
laugh.gif

So all us Viper guys are going to have a pre-relay race to see who races in the Relay Race. I'm in.

After you, next is Lance. I'm going for rookie of the year honors.
Next year John D, you will be in my sights.

Ken,
The bypass is quite a feeling the first time around. Its just gets better as the day goes on. Half way through first day I went pretty fast over the hill with a few pointers from Luc (thanks)
Mike,

I only need Bragging rights over Ron--Soon

Met Bob the Ac Cobra owner who I pitted next to this weekend. He had a bit of bad luck, he lost an engine
crying.gif
. I suggested he take a ride with me 1 session and he loved the Viper. I explained that if I blew the engine I would be at Dodge on Monday morning asking for a new one(no charge of course). He said that he though the Viper is sooo smooth on the track.(could it also be my driving:bounce
smile.gif
He really enjoyed his ride. If any Mustangs or Cobras Vipers etc know Bob, I rooting for him to be a Viper owner soon!
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
And hope he is back on the track soon.

All right You guys make me proud--Tomer--at least come to the track I'll take you for a ride. Vic are you goin? Lance? Ken is your car ready. Ken Haney? Craig-bring the Viper this time not the ricer. Bernard? Al? and any other Viper Guys.
Lets kick some but! Remember Green Flag (www.greenflagdriving.org)

Joe B

SSpeed Racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe i will put the same offer out to you as I did Ron....if you can beat my lap time on any track that we are racing on, on the same tires i will QUIT SMOKING..... hows that for a challenge!!!!

(Here's hoping the price of cigarettes start coming down soon!!!!)

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luc,

Man, that car sounds fun! I always dreamed of a Trans Am car. The wildest ride I get to play with is the 125 shifter kart. Really a blast! Put a seat in the car and take me for a ride next time I see ya. Was that the car you had a Fontana? I thought your times were a 1:57 at Fontana? Deering just threw down a 1:53 in his stock GTS. Nice time!

Joe,

Car is still under construction. Should have the shocks in this week. Getting there.
yesnod.gif

Maybe, I'll make it to the Buttonwillow event. Need something to burn off all that turkey.

SSpeed Racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by K Adelberg:
Luc,

Maybe, I'll make it to the Buttonwillow event. Need something to burn off all that turkey.

I look forward to running a few laps with you if and I mean if you ever run out of excuses!!!!
shake.gif
rofl.gif
laughing2[1].gif
crying.gif

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be there
bounce.gif

Let's get some partying in that weekend! Ron, that would be a great time to fall off the wagon. One night won't kill you. At your current rate there will be nothing left of you.
laugh.gif

-Jonathan

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken,

At Fontana I was running my 65 Shelby and not driving very well.

John is really starting to be a very fast driver,that's why I bought the T/A,to make sure that he stay behind me!!!!.

I will be at Buttonwillow with the T/A.
for you guys,that live not too far from Laguna secca,I will be racing there in the last weekend in october for the annual SCCA Vintage.(will race my 69 Mustang convertible).
It is always a fun weekend with a lot of old racing cars and good friendly racing.

luc.

SSpeed Racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by Luc:

John is really starting to be a very fast driver,that's why I bought the T/A,to make sure that he stay behind me!!!!.

The only reason I am getting faster is because I follow you around all the tracks! Luc it a pleasure to run with you...and if I could...and say if... I could pass you in your T/A...

I think I would have to hang up my racing helmet and go home!!!!

That's why I am buying a new Helmet because it will be a cold day in hell before I ever get to pass you!!!
hail[1].gif

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hail[1].gif
John,

That's quite a challenge. Maybe next year I'll be closer to your times. This year is my rookie year.
newbie[1].gif
First time on any track and Viper on track. I would luv to beat your times. But that won't happen real soon. I'm creepin up the ladder in my skills. Thanks to some wonderfull guys like you, Ron, Paul, Luc and many others. You guys always help us rookies. And we will pass on what we have learned to the next up and coming group like Redsled--AKA--Jonathan.
Great how this works isn't it. All you guys are great drivers.

OK enough with the Mushy stuff
crying.gif
--Back to Smack

bounce.gif
Alright John, next year, keep looking in your mirror cause I'm gonna be there soon, after I'm in Ron 's(hopefully no more mods)then Lance's who is fast. I gonna be givin you Viperitis after I give it to them guys.
rofl.gif

See you at BW on the 30th and 1st, and lookin forward to seein all you guys again.
I'm gettin a garage and bringing the Frig again, Rons got the Tv, we only need a boom box. John Thats your Responsibility, OK

Joe B

OP
OP
M

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the latest from the guy who runs GreenFlag, looks like he's going to make it interesting. . .

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 10:33 AM
To: Eric Christenson
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Re: FW: Norcal SAAC Digest V02 #204

In a message dated Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:17:13 PM Eastern
Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

&gt; OK, now Murray's laying down the smack.
&gt; I'll see if I can't recruit a few more Viper buddies for Buttonwillow.
&gt; Is Greenflag committed to another relay?
&gt;
&gt; Dave, I think you're gonna want to dip into the ol'
&gt; bull-pen for your wringers again, but this time you might need to
&gt; dig a little deeper.
&gt;
&gt; Eric
&gt;

Ok,
We got us another relay race.

This time, how about we open the MAIN straightaway?

TG

OP
OP
M

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do think a 'qualifying session' is the right way to earn a spot on the official buttonwillow viper relay team, just cause you have hoosiers doesn't mean you're automatically in.

(and Luc, mum is the word back to the shelby club about the fine group we're assembling here. . . shhhhhh)

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric,
I think you should be the Team leader again, since you did such a fine job last time(As long as you Qualify of course)
laugh.gif

I am going that weekend. I will be there ready to go. We will have some fine drivers. I hope I can qualify myself. Its gonna be tough.We could possibily have 2 Viper Teams. That would be great.And Cheerleaders and a bikini contest. Oh, sorry got carried away.

Joe B

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deering, the turkey I was referring to was you!
yesnod.gif
I may be king of excuses, but I have yet to run out of gas in a race.
nono.gif
Or forget my gas cap, should I keep going? Let me get these stupid doo-dads off my car and I'll make you hang your helmet. You aint so bad...

Good to see a little smack! The board was getting boaring.

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken,
Oh, Here we go.
saevil.gif

Thats why I refer to John as the <u>Ex</u>-Mr. Dearing. Something about not having enough gas to qualify.
crying.gif
That's one way for me to get a better time.
laughing2[1].gif

At Viper Days Tech, John was re-educated on the use of that thing we all call a gas guage by the Tech inspector
rofl.gif
That was classic.

Joe B