Tire Age..I know but watch this

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the end, we can never have enough education on driving. Personally, I think the standard driver's ed course is a joke and in no way shape or form covers enough for an individual to be safe on the road.

But to make room for that driver's education class we'd have to eliminate valuable courses like Tolerance 101 and Little Suzy's Aunt Frank. We can't afford to ignore those important classes just to reduce auto accident fatalities which incidentally are the leading cause of death among 16-24 year olds. Nope. Better to create more laws and add speed bumps than to make room for education and training.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In an 18 Wheeler when you get a blow out, you are suppose to floor it for a second and then start braking to slow down gradually. It has something to do with allowing the tire to regain it's round momentarily. Thought it was the same for all vehicles.

Utter and COMPLETE horse****. Do you have a CDL? Have you ever even sat in the seat of a 2-ton or larger truck? Crawl back under your rock and don't come out.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS Dean;

Was a professional truck driver for over 15 years. Pulled many overweight and specialty loads like D8 Cats, Aggregate crushers, gravel trailers, etc., but I don't have to answer to you. Whatever!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've pulled the same loads myself, along with tankers and haz-mat, but it isn't my regular day job. I just don't agree with your advice.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I think the standard driver's ed course is a joke and in no way shape or form covers enough for an individual to be safe on the road.

I agree. And what's worse is that I, and most everybody else, took that standard driver's ed course while I was a sophomore in high school. Now more than 30 years later, I keep renewing my license every four years but have never been required to take a refresher course.

I like to think I'm okay on the road (who doesn't think that way?) but it scares me to think of the intelligence of the other drivers I share the road with.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
90 percent of american drivers need not to be driveing- they dont know how to drive, they need to take a driving school every year to wake them up. no common sense what so ever. at least in my state- they are mostly stupid and selfish.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It also doesn't inform anyone of what to do when they have a blowout. Gee, thanks ABC. FYI don't panic, don't slam on the brakes, steadily ease off the gas and gradually bring the car to a stop.

When you lose a tread you immediately hear and feel two or three flap, flap, flaps before the tread comes completely off. Make no mistake, it's an exciting ride, but you maintain your composure, ease off the gas and patiently slow the car down. That experienced driver in the vid wrecked for shock value or he wasn't very experienced at all.

I've also blown a tire at Sebring at 100+ mph. Nothing. Slow down. Pull over. No problem.

All said, yes you should keep informed about your tires. If they don't feel right, which is often the case with older tires, then replace them. New tires are one of the great joys of driving but old tires do not kill people like ABC thinks.

I completely agree with Chuck - he's my hero, you know....

I don't think there is such a thing as sudden, catastrophic tire failure with no warning. The closest you'll get is a puncture after running over debris, but you know what caused it. You will ALWAYS get some warning sensation prior to failure - mushy steering, pulling one way or the other, vibration, tramping, sound, smell, etc.

I was at the track Saturday running 2 year old Kumhos 700s with less than 1200 miles on them. I have a probe type memory pyrometer, a great big accurate gauge and was using them both. I was laying down some monster laps but started picking up a front vibration, then a right pull. I figured I'd lost a wheel weight, and my alignment slipped, but it kept getting worse. I finally came in and pulled the RF wheel. It was wearing fine, but the tread LOOKED funny. I rolled it across the floor and the thing was canted, rolling to the short diameter. Once a rev, it flopped upright, then laid back over. I swapped fronts across the car and did one more easy lap. The car started pulling the opposite direction while tramping. My diagnosis? Belt separation. First time I've ever had a Viper tire do that. Not BFG, not Michelin, not Hoosier. I'm going to see if I can get an adjustment and give them 1 more try.

Lesson: your tires will warn you there's a problem. You just have to be aware enough to know what they're telling you.

OP
OP

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted the video in most part for folks to learn how to find and read the date codes on tires.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
90 percent of american drivers need not to be driveing- they dont know how to drive, they need to take a driving school every year to wake them up. no common sense what so ever. at least in my state- they are mostly stupid and selfish.

A refresher English course on punctuation and the many other subtleties of the written language would help people too. ;)

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted the video in most part for folks to learn how to find and read the date codes on tires.

And I'm glad you did. I also didn't know that they might have had an ulterior motive for putting that information on the back side of the tire, as mentioned in the video. If the temperature ever gets above 20 degrees in my garage I will crawl under my vehicles and read what's written there.

Bob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62