Tire choices?

IMSOSLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried a set of Bridestones and went back to the pilots. I think they are a lot better tire for autocrossing or drag racing. Better traction.

Ken

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually if you look around there are quite a few tires that will fit a Viper. I have tried the MMX, Pilot Sports, Drag Radials, etc.

The stock tires are probably the best for all weather driving but if you want serious handling on warm dry surfaces you have to try the BFGoodrich g-force T/A. That's what I have on my car right now. They are terrible on wet roads or when they are really cold, but do a quick burn out on dry roads and warm them up and you will stick like glue to the surface. I live on an island with one long winding mountain road and on nice warm sunny days I can take hairpin corners at unbelievable speeds on these tires.

They don't work well for drag racing because they are still a pretty hard rubber. But for road racing they are incredible. I out handled a Ferrari around these roads like nothing with these tires but was out handled by the same car easily when I had regular radials on.

If you buy them, be careful of the first time out. I spun around three times and was ready to return the tires for a refund when I first got them. The tire shop I bought them from said "Oh yeah, we forgot to mention they are packaged with a thin hard coating of rubber to protect them during shipping. If you don't burn that off first you'll kill yourself in the first corner!" I wish they had mentioned that earlier...I nearly dropped the car off a cliff!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would suggest you stay with the Pilot Sports, as many of the other tires out there are in limited quantity or no longer made. The BFG G-Force R1's are no longer made, and are mainly a track tire. If you want a pure track tire, go with the Hoosier. For street driving, and especially considering the weather conditions in Florida, you have the best tire made for the car. The MXX3 ( previous tire model on the Viper ) was a better tire on the track than the Pilot Sport, but like the BFG it was like wearing ice skates when it rained. The Pilot Sports for your car, are actually a special tire/compounding for the Snake. You have the best, right now.

Sean 96 McViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SoCal,
I think you meant Pirelli P-Zeros... They are available in 18 inch sizes. (Don't make them to fit the front 17 inchers) Has anyone tried these? I sold a set to my friend for his 911 and he liked them better the the BFG's he had, but I never had any feedback from anyone with a snake...

-Sean

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I believe SoCal Rebel is talking about Pirelli P-Zeros. Keep in mind that this is a good tire company also, but availability is more limited ( which could impact warranty issues ) and the 18" Pilots are special for the Viper. Call Luke at the Tire Rack if you want more info on this.

Sean 96 McViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, my last post may have been confusing. Pirelli makes the pzero in both sizes for the vipers with the 18 inch wheels (I think that's 97 to 01) but only the rears for the earlier models. i.e. they don't make 275/40-17's in the Pzero.

-Sean

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
P-Zeros, eh? Interesting. I'm very partial to Pirelli. Except in periods of uh, financial distress (I've had a few), I've always run Pirellis on my cars, and I put their Scorpions on my Durango (good compromise between off-road traction and highway handling).

Too bad they don't fit the fronts. I definitely want matched sets. Oh well, the Pilots seem pretty cool so far (granted I'm still mostly driving like an old lady at this point).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
P-Zeros, eh? Interesting. I'm very partial to Pirelli. Too bad they don't fit the fronts.........<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you mis-read the post. 17" fronts are not avail. 18" fronts and rears are avial. You did not state the year of your car, but if the AVTAR is you, a 2001 RT, then P-Zero is available. But having driven them wet, I PREFER Pilot Sports!

A lot of money was spent engineering a tire for Viper - "Not Broke, Don't Fix" indeed!

Also...by the time you need tires, there will likley be more choices......

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've tried the P-Zero's and wouldn't recommend them, they offer
poor grip all round and scrubbed out quick compared to the current Michelins. I've a part worn infront of me at the moment, made in Italy, not one of the countries best products to be exported. Its labelled 'Asimmetrico'

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep, you're right Richard saw these tires last weekend, designed
espically for track use, they don't make them in Viper sizes,
The Michelin Motorsport man said the Porsche was the target vehicle

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32