Tire dilemma

diko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I haven't taken out the Viper for 3 weeks and I always back it in the garage. I decide to take it out this morning and as I slowly pull out, i heard a noise and something didn't feel right. I take it out just enough to get her out of the garage. I walk around the car and *** the passenger rear tire is flat. I see a piece of metal sticking out of the tire, get the needlenose pliers and pull out 3/4 inch of scrap metal.

Here's my dilemma. I've had the car (2000 Viper RT/10) about 2 yrs now and put on < 5k miles. I don't really track the car, it's more of a fair weather leisure vehicle/ date car, occasionally some spirited driving but not very often. When I got the car it had brand new Michelin PS (not PS2) all around. So, do I get one PS2 (PS is discontinued)? or cough up the other $500 and get a pair. mind you the tires on there now are practically brand new. or do I go the supercheap route and just get it patched?

I knew what I was getting into when I bought her and was prepared to pay good $$ on tires, but I am also an advocate of minimizing waste, and replacing the rear tires seem like an awful waste.

diko

fyi... i'm not made of $$, i saved up for this car. $1000 may not seem much to some people, but it can mean a whole lot to others. and i've got 2 kids, so $1k can go along way...

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Diko, over the years I've patched a couple of viper street tires (bmw and posrche too) and never had an issue. Find a good shop and if they say the tire is OK to patch, do it.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I concur, if it's in the repairable tread area and not too large that it can't be plugged, I'd fix it. I've only used tire shops that install plug-patches. These are applied from the inside and combine a plug and a patch in one.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Most repair shops will not patch a High Speed tire due to liability. I would frankly not do it on my own car. Check around as there might be some PS tires around somewhere, and I will check our warehouse.

Better yet contact VPA and see if they have one they can take off an old rim, since they got a boatload of them.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most repair shops will not patch a High Speed tire due to liability. I would frankly not do it on my own car. Check around as there might be some PS tires around somewhere, and I will check our warehouse.

Better yet contact VPA ( www.viperpartsofamerica ) and see if they have one they can take off an old rim, since they got a boatload of them.

Bill, do you have any leads on a set of cheap PS2 tires? Obviously I would expect them to be used, but just looking for a set that are in good condition that will last this year and will buy brand new ones next year.

My tires are the following:
Michelin Pilot Sport 2, 295/30/ZR19
Michelin Pilot Sport 2, 335/30/ZR20

F

FrgMstr

Cheap, tires, and Viper should not be used in the same sentence.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had street tires plugged.....nail right through the tread-clean small diameter hole....and seems to hold up well. On the street mine don't see speeds above 80 and I've had no problem.

It could be that fewer shops are offering this service because of liability but I've had it done a few years ago. Collect the data you need on the options, if inexpensive replacements are available go that way, otherwise if its patchable/pluggable and you treat them properly (no 145mph stuff) you'll be fine.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might be able to find that tire for FREE, just pay shipping. I might have a rear tire, let me check my garage.

I DO have some front PS2's used if you want them for free, just pay shipping....in case you end up buying a set of PS2's you would only have to buy the rears.

To be honest not many people want the older tires on their Viper so a lotta folks just ditch them.

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you can get a tire for free or close to it plus shipping, go for it. But as far as plugging and patching goes, i'd do it to mine. I have plugged and patched my rear tire on my GSXR and it seen 150mph alot. I got a screw in it 1 week after i bought it. $320 for new, again, or $25 for a really good fix.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my old set of rears were plugged and had ~20K miles on them. a lot of high speed runs too, never a problem

plug or patch is fine IMO

OP
OP
D

diko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all your input. I am going to the tire shop tomorrow morning to see if i can get it patched/plugged. i filled the tire with air this morning and until now it still holding up, but i can hear the hiss, although faint it's still there.

You must be registered for see images attach

this is what i pulled out. it's the stock rear tire 335/30/18

racerjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there should be no problem in having that patched. Just go to a good tire shop that can dismount and remount the tire without damaging your wheel.

The piece of metal is not much bigger then a nail.

OP
OP
D

diko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

well i went to one place, they said they couldn't because of the "heat ring" (see pic). so i took it to another place where they plugged it.

i tried to explain to the mechanic that i only rode it on the rim for 20 ft at <5mph, but they still wouldnt do it. do you think i should try and get it patched? the plug seems to be holding well, no leak. i'm gonna check the tire pressure every day for the next week.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sidewall doesn't look good. No telling for sure how much damage could be done or how weakened it may be now. Definitely wouldn't do any high-speed driving. I couldn't imagine rolling 20 feet could do that much damage?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a whole different story... No way I'd trust it.
Success isn't about it holding air, it's about it not blowing out and that baby looks like a prime candidate....

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Diko, don't let your beautiful steel gray viper end up like mine. Get a new set of tires. The BFGoodrich KDW are a bargain. I have 295/35's on the front and 335/30's on the rear from John B at Parts Rack, great pricing with shipping, under $1k.

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sidewall doesn't look good. No telling for sure how much damage could be done or how weakened it may be now. I couldn't imagine rolling 20 feet could do that much damage?

I do't think that happened in 20 feet, I would guess it's been low for quite a while on it was flat last time you drove it.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe time to consider four new PS2s. Your existing tires are 5 years old. Rubber ages...sad, but true. Be thankful that your wheel wasn't ruined due to the flat.
So put on four new tires, and then drive your Viper more often. :)

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the shop takes the tire off, ask to see the inside. I'm gonna bet the internal sidewall has damage and there will be a "handfull" of black "dust"(rubber) inside. As said above, the plug holding air is not the issue now. Sorry.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to agree with everyone else, get rid of that tire. I can't believe someone actually repaired that for you. Better to park the car until you get a free tire or you can afford new tires. The BFG's are cheap and safe.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Agree with the progression of thoughts here.

The two options that i see are:

A. Grab a set of used rear tires from a forum member for cheap. Use them for a year or two untill you have the extra cash to get a new set.

B. Replace all four tires with the NittoINVO's or BFG's through ViperPartsofAmerica as they are the cheapest tires&source and will be an improvement in grip over your current tires. (if you were a more performance oriented driver i would recommend spending the extra $$$ on PS2's or KumhoXS.)

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to agree with everyone else, get rid of that tire. I can't believe someone actually repaired that for you. Better to park the car until you get a free tire or you can afford new tires. The BFG's are cheap and safe.

DITTO! And I am offering you FREE front PS2's... used of course:) Just buy the rears or find a used set.

Peace of mind when driving a high torque/hp car is priceless.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Diko, stop by my place in Cedar Park and let's talk tires ;)

You have my email...I'll be around this week.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tires over 5 yrs old are worse than useless. They can get you killed let alone your car wrecked. They are hard as stone and deterioration has begun on the inside. Get fresh tires for the kids,wife and yourself. What will they do without you for a few dollarsa more or less? GTS Bruce

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte