Tire Update: Need a new Rim, more serious than expected

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I let the car sit over night and took it over to Discount Tire this afternoon, turns out there is no hole, there is a Gash in my tire, and whatever I ran over went through the tire and put a hole in my rim! Almost like a gun shot. Maybe someone was trying to sniper me and I just got lucky, haha... anyways, I have a couple of questions. First off obviously im not going to replace just one tire, ill replace all four, they have almost 13K on them so no sense in replacing one. Second, what do I do about this wheel? I dont want to bother getting it replaced unless its something easy, so I assume I should just get a new front rim. I called the dealer and they quoted me at 3 thousand for one rim, haha yea right. So a couple of questions, is there a dealer or something on this forum or someone you guys know who I should deal with for the tires and the rim? Specifcally the rim, because I get tires wholesale from tirerack, unless I can get a better deal. Regardless here are some pictures. Let me know how I should handle this.

You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Holy crap! That is the first time I have ever seen something like that. Whatever it was, it had to have been strong to make it through the tire and still kill the rim!

If you are looking for a New rim, I can get you one at 25% off list. Otherwise, Ebay is a good bet.

Lastly, for tires, Tirerack and Partsrack will be very diffcult to beat.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is the hole in the rim? It is possible to get it repaired, find a good rim shop that does aluminum welding. Was it the front or rear rim?

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow!Never have seen that before! :eek: I can't help wondering what could do that-it looks like it might be repairable,though.

OP
OP
N

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'll let you know what im gonna do, I may get all new tires all the way around, or I may try to find a used front from someone if its in decent shape. So once I know whats up ill let yo uknow asap.

_Niz_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks and buyer beware, I just purchased a used tire from an ad that stated it had approx 40% life left. It showed up with about that but also had 2 plugs in it. Not so sure Im gonna use it.

OP
OP
N

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any idea where I would be able to find a front tired used? Or where I should look, ive checked the classifieds but if you know somewhere or have a suggestion let me know. Front tire, 275/35/18

_Niz_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started with a search on Ebay but didnt find any, so the sellers that did have ads up (for other tire sizes and makes) I sent emails to them asking if they had any and found one that did.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Niz,
I have a rear tire in good shape with about 8/32ds left, but has a PATCH, not a plug. I would not trust plugs. If interested, PM me.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
...Almost like a gun shot. Maybe someone was trying to sniper me and I just got lucky...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dont know who you ticked off, but you better apologize

SRTTOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your rim is an easy weld repair. A good place would be a custom wheel shop, and if one of those is not around then a boat yard that works on yachts. They do a lot of aluminum fabrication.

Tom

RedVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call John B at parts rack. He sells wheels individually at very good prices!! He also buys stock wheels that are in good shape.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a brand new never mounted michilen pilot sport 275/35/18 tire that I have sitting the garage.... let me know if you are still looking...