Tires

BUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1998 RT10 has Dunlop SP8000s front and rear. The front are like new and the rear are like slicks, almost. I need new rear tires. I have read that you should NOT mix brands. Should I just replace the rear with more SP8000s until the front wear out? Who has the best price on these? Thanks in advance.

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All accounts have it that the Dunlops are not a good choice. Add your deductible to the dunlop price and get some Michelins. Call JonB at the PartsRack for best advice on what will work best for your intended usage.

Ryan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bud, on a car mixing tires isn't that bad. On a motorcycle it can be dangerous due to a number of items. The only part against that is keep a matched pair per axle, Dunlops or ?? up front and Michelins or Yokohamas on the back would be ok. Never mix and match tires on the same axle. Since, the same size tire from two different companies will not have the exact same dimensions. I'll use truck tire sizes for explanation purposes. A 31/10.50R15 tire supposedly is 31" tall, 10.5" wide 15" rim, but not all measure 31" some are 30.3 or 30.4 and some measure 31.5" when mounted. This can and will cause handling issues with the potential of being quite dangerous if mounted on the same axle.
The tire with the larger rolling diameter will have a greater load placed upon it at all times (probably more noticeable on a Viper or other stiff / full frame vehicle) the tires slip angles will be different making handling differences between left and right turns as the tire on the outside of the direction of curve will react differently.

The are so many things, that I can't explain beyond what I mentioned above. Try your local library for the book "How to make your car handle" by Fred Puhn published by HP Books
It has some good info on how tires affect handling. Its not the latest and greatest book, but very informative.