To protective film or to not protective film?

Viper007Bond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now that I actually have a car where I care about it's paint and it's potentially worth the cost, I'm considering getting one of those 3M chip prevention films for the front nose, behind the rear wheels, etc.

I've done a bit of searching here on the forums but I can't seem to find a general consensus -- is it worth having done?

I bought the car to drive it, not as a show piece, i.e. I'm not going to spend every Saturday waxing it or something. I'm just looking to prevent having to have a respray done down the road or something.

Thoughts?

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely 3m on nose, front of hood, mirrors, behind rear wheels, and under and over sills(stops roock damage under and shoe scuffs over). I also put thicker 3M around inside of wheel wells on painted parts.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have it on my 97 which has over 30,000 track miles on it. I don't have it on my 98 which has 135,000 miles. The stuff is very durable and I assume very difficult to remove. There is a piece that goes about 12 inches up the front part of the hood. I'd leave that peice off and instead shoot several coats of clear on the hood. Over time (miles) road debris leave tiny little pits in the hood that could be sanded down and polished if there was enough clearcoat.

I would definintely put some sort of protective film over the headlamps and fog lights.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use Venture Shield instead of the 3M brand. Venture Shield is owned by 3M but comes off easier if you ever need to repair a spot. 3M film can leave a residue which is a pain to remove. You can also remove scrathes in the Venture Shield with a hair dryer. Films can and do turn yellow though. Most notable on white cars. This is why you should use a film that can be removed.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course Yes! In fact when I re-do mine, I'm covering the whole front 3rd of the car, especially the rocker panels.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a great product and will definitely protect your paint. I wouldnt drive antoher car without it... espceially with today's water based paints. They are very soft and chip easily.

F

FrgMstr

If you drive the car and not just rub it with a diaper, put the film on it immediately.

You might look for a guy in your area that does it without a kit too. I have had it done both ways, and the kit-less guys get a lot better coverage area and it looks a lot better because a lot less edges are exposed.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Be careful on light colored cars as the film will discolor over time and can be seen on light colored cars. The film can be a PITA to remove without paint damage. Also if the film gets a stone impact the blemish on the film looks as bad as a paint chip. At least that's been my experience--Dave

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful on light colored cars as the film will discolor over time and can be seen on light colored cars. The film can be a PITA to remove without paint damage. Also if the film gets a stone impact the blemish on the film looks as bad as a paint chip. At least that's been my experience--Dave

This is exactly why I say to use Venture Shield. I had to have it replaced under warranty on my white Saleen. Came off - no problem. You might also consider Clear Plex on the windshield. I have it on both Vipers. Definitely better than a cracked windshield.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO! Doesn't look good. Ok chips don't either so after you get a bunch you have the panels repainted. Not expensive and no big deal for a competent painter. Both sills redone cost me around 100 bucks and he matched the car and didn't use the stupid paint code for Saphire blue. Adjusted the pearl etc. GTS Bruce

purplesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am not a fan of "clear bra", you can see it and I don't like it. I recognize that some guys do. Check out the CF rock guards that Parts Rack has. I think they look good and they really work!

Mike 123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the film is installed properly you should not be able to see the film from 3-5 feet away.

You only have original paint once. I know you can have it repainted for about the same price but if and when you go to sell the car IMO it will sell faster with original paint. When things get repainted it makes people wonder why it was repainted.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO! Doesn't look good. Ok chips don't either so after you get a bunch you have the panels repainted. Not expensive and no big deal for a competent painter. Both sills redone cost me around 100 bucks and he matched the car and didn't use the stupid paint code for Saphire blue. Adjusted the pearl etc. GTS Bruce

Welcome to 2005.
The modern clear bra materials are invisible to all but the most trained eye.
If it starts and stops in the right spots you cannot tell it's there.
Maybe in Podunk they repaint side sills for a hundred bucks, but that's not happening in most places and if it is I'd hate to se the job they do.
And how much to repaint a front end with stripes????? Correctly??????

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. The main problem with most people that dont like clear bras is they have never seen a good install in person. There are a lot of areas aroubnd the country where there just simply arent any installers... and even more where there are not any good ones. A good installer with a god film will change their minds. But until they see it in person they will not change their minds. I have been installing film almost 10 years. I have seen many people change their minds once they get film properly installed. Not only will it increase the resale value of the car but it will give great peace of mind while driving it. After 22,000 miles in my 04 not a single rock chip.

Mike 123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no idea how I'd go about finding a competent place to do it. :dunno:

Here are 4 things I would check.
1. Be sure they have been trained on how to properly install the film. The main companies have training classes (Xpel, Venture Shield or 3M).
2. Be sure that they use quality kits. Not all kits are created equal.
3. Be sure that they use quality film. (Xpel, Venture Shield or 3M).
4. Be sure that they do not use a razor on your car not even just to trim off an edge. IMO this is the most important.

Treviso

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would never own another car without a clear bra. It is the only way to go IF you don't want chips in your paint. All of this talk about paint discoloration is nonsense, unless your car sits in the sun for its entire life, never being garaged. Most of us Viper owners wont even drive our cars in the rain, let alone storing them outside, letting the elements destroy your
baby!
If you like chipped paint, don't clear bra your car. Otherwise, clear bra is the greatest thing since sliced bread:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets