To Tip or not To Tip.....

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NutsRT, I would like a tip on how to go about getting some of Castro's finest myself
You must be registered for see images
I have a thing for romeo y julieta churchills and dont get to Nassau as much as I would like
private email if you prefer

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald, if you feel compelled to tip, do what JonB said. Personally, I would be mad if anyone asks for a tip. Since a tip is out of courtesy, and when someone asks for it and insists, that ticks me off. I'd tell him not to eat yellow snow.....

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A tip is earned, not expected. If he went "out of his way" somehow, then it is earned. As a Viper Tech it is a compliment to even be offerd a spiff. To me it means that I did something extra that the client appriciates. Putting a trans in under warranty is his job......installing an aluminum flywheel for n/c while he's there close is "doing something extra". Let's see, 15% of a $3,000 trans job, hhhmmmmmmm.........nah..throw him a twenty for lunch.dj

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with David on tipping for the Viper; if the Tech goes to extra trouble to do a nice job for you, it certainly is worth a reasonable tip of $10 or $20. This is especially true if he gets a warranty replacement of a part for you and you incur no cost. He will remember that the next time and go to bat for you on the next warranty item. It always pays to have a good Viper Tech on your side when arguing warranty.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a warranty part ordered for me, and the tech spoke direct with me. I felt he really cared about his work, and so I gave him a create of beer, (I was sure it would be of use, in his time off). Sounds like your tech looked at the Viper and saw $$$, as people do, would have annoyed me him asking. But, if he did a top class job (which he should do anyway on your Viper!) then I'd give him a gift not cash. Of the rate dealers charge per hour for labor, techs see very little of this!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stopped by the Dodge Dealer (5 Star).. heh, I hear those stars on the plaque only cost 5 bucks a peice in polished bronze...

Anyways, tranny is in, new fluid is in and that darn Viper Tech keeps hinting at a tip!!! That's a bit strange, now I feel obligated to tip! I was going to anyways!

What's a good tip for a young 31 yr old Viper Tech..//???

Gerald

nutsRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gave my Viper tech a couple of Cuban Cohiba Churchills' as I was not sure of the dealership policy on cash tips..

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Darn, I thought this thread was going to be about cow-tipping... my mistake!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree with many others. If he went out of his way to help, then Lunch & beer,or beer & lunch,or the Viper Mag. & beer would be real cool! Any small gift (that includes beer) should make him very happy and make sure you get top notch service every time you go in! I guess you could just give him some beer!!
I wouldn't give cash though. Cash might make others mad and jealous and it could become expected in every situation!
Let's just hope he isn't some idiot that just wants some of your money because you have a Viper!
How's the Viper doing?!

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We sent the Service Department where we get our Viper work done a very nice Gift Basket with all sorts of foodstuffs at Christmas time. Did not send it only to the Viper tech, but I think he knew why we sent what we did! The service manager also does a wonderful job for us, gets us in in an emergency, always tries to work with us, but some 5 star dealers around here are not anywhere in the same league with this little country dealer. Great job Wayland Chrysler, and especially Kelvin!

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to admit, that Wayland Chrysler dealer is a helluva guy. Gave me advice I purchasing my first Viper (as yet to be aquired) earlier this year.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have to admit I have a real problem with this. Most quality dealers pay their Viper Techs well, and to blatantly hint at a tip is very inappropriate and unprofessional. Will the hand be out every time you bring it in, even for an oil change? I agree with the judgement of so many others, that the ones that usually receive a tip are the ones that never ask - and they are given tips because of their attitude, helpfulness, and willingness to go the extra mile. Give him the tip that if he wants one, he shouldn't ask!

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though I have had no problems with my snake I have had it to the dealer several times for frequent oil changes during break in (I supplied oil and filter; charged me $7.00 labor) and a hood latch adjustment. At Christmas I gave the service manager and Viper tech each a nice card with a $50 in it and the same for the oil change tech with a $20.

Two months later the dealership had a major shake-out and the only one remaining is the oil change guy (unrelated to tipping issues). The other two are no longer at a Dodge dealership (we have three certified Viper Techs in the area and none of them currently work for a dealership!)

Live and learn but this is the latest of several times in my life that trying to use $$ to build a relationship has not panned out. I don't regret it and I know these guys would do anything they could to help me, they just can't now. Oh well, Live and Learn!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456