TOP GEAR VIPER VIDEO!

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, I was pretty surprised, he actually liked it. Although, I guess I shouldnt be THAT surprised, he DID like the GEN 1-2. :2tu:

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Clarkson gave the car a good review. It seemed to fairly point out the Viper's good and bad points. I suppose that I shouldn't be too surprised that he liked the Viper's raw-ness, considering that he prefers the F40 to the Enzo. I agreed with most of what he said. Bottom line, the Viper is a bit of a dinosaur (I'd say a T-Rex). Low tech in many ways but lots of fun.
A very entertaining show.

I was a bit sad that the track test was on a very wet track. I'm hoping that they will get an opportunity to do a re-test. Still, 1:28.5 seconds on a very wet track is not bad. That's faster than the AWD Murcielago (1:29) ran on the wet track. For a car without traction control, it's a pretty good number.

Ferrari F60 Enzo - 1.19.0
Porsche Carerra GT - 1.19.8
Mercedes McLaren SLR - 1.20.9
Ford GT - 1.21.9
Ferrari 360 CS - 1.22.3
Porsche GT3 RS - 1.22.3
Murcielago - 1.23.7
Zonda - 1.23.8 (wet track)
Koenigsegg - 1.23.9
Noble - 1.25.0
Gallardo - 1.25.8
Lotus Exige - 1.26.4
Chevrolet Corvette - 1.26.8
Porsche 911 GT3 - 1.27.2
TVR 350c - 1.27.5
BMW M3 CSL - 1.28.0 (wet track)
Dodge Viper SRT-10 - 1.28.5 (wet track)
MG SV - 1.28.6
Porsche 911 Carrera S - 1.28.9 (wet track)
Mitsubishi Evo VIII - 1.28.9
Lamborgini Murcielago - 1:29 (wet track)
BMW Alpine Z8 - 1.29.0
Mercedes CL65 - 1.29
Alfa 3.7 GTA - 1.30.0
Subaru Impreza STI - 1.30.1
Aston Martin DB7 GT - 1.30.4
Audi S4 - 1.30.9
Porsche 911 turbo - 1.31.0
Vauxhall VX 220 turbo - 1.31.3
Honda NSX Type R - 1.31.6
BMW M3 - 1.31.8

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: TOP GEAR VIPER VIDEO!

I was a tad dissapointed they didn't do more wacky tests and stuff like they usually do. The Viper burnout was nice and the review was good(for Clarkston).

It ***** that the track was wet, but that was actually a really clean lap for how ****** the conditions were. I stick to my bet that it'd do 1:24.5 in the dry.

DT04R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Howdy!

Just watched the video - wanted to say thanks to the recorder/poster/encoder/etc :laugh:

FWIW, I thought the clip was very entertaining! Clarkson did his normal bit, you could tell he _really_ liked the car (he had this suppressed grin during all his in car shots).

He didn't really even have much in-studio ranting - just the funny bit: "This car is horrible....I love it!"

The SRT *looked* fantastic out on track - I continue to be more and more of a fan of the current design!

Top Gear should do a whole day of "rain re-tests" for all the cars that got the foul weather shaft - I'm sure there's a good 3-4 seconds worth of extra time!

Can't wait to get my horrible SRT!!

DT

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

He said: "mad, but good car..."

Very entertaining video. Thanks!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Considering that the Viper beat the AWD Murcielago around their track in the wet, and the Murcielago gained 5.3 seconds when driven on the same track dry. You can figure that the Viper would have a similar improvement, putting it around 1.23.2, or better! :eek:

DT04R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, I somehow glossed over the Murci appearing on the list twice (once for dry, once for wet) - I agree it would make sense that the (AWD) Murci would have _less_ loss in the wet, meaning the SRT would likely show a greater delta between dry and wet!

Heck, like you said, even assuming roughly the same improvement, that puts the SRT in some pretty serious company.

In another L O N G thread (we all know the one, with our favorite Euro-goober), someone said Clarkson said it was <something>, <something> and "overpriced" - just to clarify, he *actually* said:

..."what's more, it's not cheap, you'll pay $80K pounds, and they don't even put the steering wheel on the right side..." AND "...it's ostentatious and expensive, but much faster than you think..."

Ummm, expensive and not cheap do not equal over-priced - in fact, Clarkson seemed to suggest that while it's on the higher end of the pricing spectrum, it's still quite a car for the price.

DT

Considering that the Viper beat the AWD Murcielago around their track in the wet, and the Murcielago gained 5.3 seconds when driven on the same track dry. You can figure that the Viper would have a similar improvement, putting it around 1.23.2, or better! :eek:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Europeans are soooooooooooooooooo stupid, sometimes... LOL

They pay the highest prices for the car(s) - much higher than in the US...

Even European cars are sold CHEAPER in the US than over here (shipping, warranty costs?).

A magazine compared the VW Touareg: Germany 53K Euro / US 33 K Euro (same car, same features).

Importing a car from the US makes a lot of sense (and money) in Europe again - due to the VERY LOW exchange rate.

Bwright

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu:

Awesome review. Typical tongue-in-cheek but his affection for the car was quite clear.

I think the comment I most liked was:"It is a mother of violence. On the one hand, benign and gentle and concerned for your well being. And, on the other, an axe murderer (gleeful laugh)." Indeed.

Final note, :eek: the Stig can drive!

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"It may look like Lord Greystoke, but underneath the new suit it's still Tarzan"...still an absolute animal...psycho-car...axe-murderer...barn-door engineering...mad...******...crude & awful...

Errmm, I was lead to believe Dodge had lost the plot? :D

repete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
really was a great review..my favorite part was..."he is prolly having more fun in this car than he did in the Enzo last week"

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeremy Clarkson hates everything American. Probably waited for it to be wet to test the Viper he is such an a hole. So that’s why I can't believe he said he liked it. Must have LOVED the car to say anything good about it on camera.

PS
Although he is extremely entertaining to watch. Which counts more than good advice when it comes to car TV shows.

PPS
He should be shot for saying what he said regarding the GEN I

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But it's wet vs. dry track. There is zero doubt that the SRT-10 Viper would be quicker than the C6 Corvette if run on on a dry track. :2tu:

Early93, I wouldn't expect too much. This is about as complimenary as Clarkson can get about American cars (except perhaps the Ford GT).
But my understanding is that when he got married he actually drove away in a Viper rather than a limo. :cool:

And he did buy a Ford GT for himself. :eek:

No, I think that he definitely has a lust for the Viper, in spite of his sensible side and generally biased and contrary nature. It all lends to some good humor. :laugh:

kaval

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Notwithstanding the rain. I thought the show was very entertaining. He commented on the excellent build quality... [something about clutch smoke and the car still working perfectly(after all that abuse I'm impressed at the strength of the drivetrain)] He even commented at how much grip the viper has... (something they always complain about is that american cars are found lacking in the twisties)... Funny, it took a lot of effort on his part to break the car loose. When he did he was all giddy... Just like I get. Maybe one day they'll do a shootout on a dry track and the viper can kcik some ****.
What did you guys think of the signature? :usa: :headbang: :headbang:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought it was good overall. A little strange that he thinks that the SRT traction goes off a cliff (i.e. zero progressivity). Mine is quite controllable at the limit. It could be that his tires were cooked given all the spinning around he did.

The burning side sills is something else. It almost looked like the plastic gills and the top of the sills at the front of the door were cooking. Note that is immediately above the cats. I knew they were hot but geez.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats was a cold autumn morning in the wet, imagine what a summer test would be like ???

VTen555

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought that the video was amusing....everyone has an opinion. If everyone felt the same way as most of us on this board then what use would there be making other cars.

corseviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did he say the car costs 80,000 pounds?
Thats close to $150,000.00 dollars, wow it's serious money
if you want to buy a viper in Europe. Glad I'm here.

DB
04 SRT-10
Ducati Superbikes

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did he say the car costs 80,000 pounds?
Thats close to $150,000.00 dollars, wow it's serious money
if you want to buy a viper in Europe. Glad I'm here.

From what I can tell from watching UK car shows and folks on the UK "Gassing Station" forum, it's not just Vipers. They seem to be charged more for most every car. As a rule of thumb, take the American price in dollars and the folks in the UK pay the same amount in pounds.

I'm not sure why this is.

TZL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually not true, Clarkson has a Ford GT in his personal garage......watch the top gear review of the Ford GT

Jeremy Clarkson hates everything American. Probably waited for it to be wet to test the Viper he is such an a hole.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave