Torque Pro

Flames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone ever tried Torque Pro on their Viper?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

Seems like a very useful App that let you read data from your ecu via an OBD2 adapter device. The OBD2 data logger device is cheap itself (somewhere between 15 and 30$) and the app is only 5$, it's worth a try I think. The app can record your 0-60 mph time, give details on your "check engine" codes, read tons of real-time data and even measure HP and Torque. You need an Android tablet with bluetooth to communicate between the OBD2 device and the app.

So I went ahead and ordered an OBD2 scan device: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180959185478

As soon as I receive and install it, I'll let you guys know what kind of information that little device/app combo can output from our cars!

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the route I plan to take as well, fellow VCA member Tattooed has been very helpful. The Android tablet Nexus 10 will be available on 11/26 which I also plan to get (Nexus 7 below).

Here is a picture of Tat's set-up on a Ram mount .... Very slick :2tu:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
F

Flames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow very very nice, cant wait to try it in my car!

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This looks great! You know of anything for Apple products? Iphone/Ipad??? I would love to throw my ipad in the car! Also a mount for the ipad itself???

Very cool!

-Tim

OP
OP
F

Flames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This looks great! You know of anything for Apple products? Iphone/Ipad??? I would love to throw my ipad in the car! Also a mount for the ipad itself???

Very cool!

-Tim

I did some research because I also have MAC products and I intended to use them at first, but unfortunately, such an App cannot be created on iOs (iphone, ipad, etc) because of the development restrictions. Only Android products allow the programmers to design an App with such features.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did some research because I also have MAC products and I intended to use them at first, but unfortunately, such an App cannot be created on iOs (iphone, ipad, etc) because of the development restrictions. Only Android products allow the programmers to design an App with such features.

Ahh Bummer!

I guess I may just have to buy and Android product!

OP
OP
F

Flames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahh Bummer!

I guess I may just have to buy and Android product!

Theres is some really cheap (unknown brands) Android tablets for sale all around the internet right now. You can get one for like 100-120$, might not be top of the line quality, but for an in-car only application I guess that's enough. But remember you have to get one with the Bluetooth technology in order to work with the OBD2 scan device.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Very cool!

-Tim

Search PLX Kiwi on Amazon or Ebay. They make a kit that is compatible with iphone or Ipod via wifi. I believe it won't be torque, but some other similar software program. Some people have had issues with the cheap ebay adapters. I have the PLX Kiwi adapter and I use torque on my android phone, but I didn't think it was that good for data logging multiple things at once. I've since bought the OBDlink SX cable and scanXL pro software to data log on my laptop.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would rate it from Fair to Poor for use on a Gen III Viper. The simple reason is that Gen 3's (and Gen2's I believe) use ISO and SCI protocols (CAN is not available). This means that we don't access to Dodge's proprietary SCI bus. As a result, we get nothing but a slow generic data stream.

I have the paid Torque app on my phone/tablet. Its okay for non-critical OBDII viewing/logging, but we simply do not have the data rate needed for any real performance logging. The more PIDs or parameters you add, the worse it gets. Heck, I even tried logging a single PID (RPM), and its simply not a smooth log for something like a quick 2nd gear pull. The total time at WOT is only 3-4 seconds, and I only get about 10 data points. That data rate is too slow when I am trying to plot against my A/F which is coming in at 10+Hz. Aside from that, the GPS rate for most of these devices is only 1 Hz. However, a 10Hz external device can be added. CAN based systems like the Gen IV's Venom controller do have much better capability.

All that aside, this app and bluetooth OBDII device to work great for code clearing and general ECU parameters viewing. My $.02

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been talking with a few people that have used this. They informed me if you have a ton of gauges popped up while using the program it makes the software drag and the refresh rate if you will call that will suffer. Sometimes to a refresh every second or so.

I'd still buy it. I am looking a some tablets as we speak. Now if I could just get music on the tablet and an input on the radio........

drlee50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plx doesnt work on most if not all gen 2s obd2 . i called them and they basically said sorry charlie. some problem with the ground wire pin out in it or something. so, skip plx for gen 2s as far as obd2 readers are concerned

PatrickG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We're taking about a $5 piece of software. I have it and I love it just to play around a bit and clear codes once in a while. Works fine with the $14 OBD scanner I have on the Gen 2.

ACR_VP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 1999 the computer is just too slow to do any real-time data logging. Using torque pro and a $20 bluetooth obdII reader I bought off amazon. Same exact hardware in my 2009 cts-v works flawlessly, and fast enough to really use for real-time logging and gauges. It's very impressive. Still just for diagnostics it's worth it. $25 for the dongle and software and you get a better scanner than units costing hundreds.