track fever

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting, my approach to tracking is different. I like the idea of being able to drive straight to the track in my track car, rather than all the prep time associated with using a trailer. This way, I don't have to worry about how/where to store the trailer, the time that it takes to pick up and drop off, time to load/unload car, cost of trailer, Etc.

So I prefer to keep it simple. The downside of this is that I'm migrating towards Hoosiers on both track cars, and found a deal on lightly used slicks for the Camaro. If I start running these slicks, I'm not sure what I'd do since driving 4 hours to the track on slicks doesn't seem practical. Hoosiers seem to be just practical enough to drive to/from the track since they're DOT legal and have a couple of water grooves.

I am considering a mini-trailer to pull behind the Camaro, with just enough room for track tires/wheels, a jack and tools. But no way am I putting a hitch on the Viper, LOL!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am considering a mini-trailer to pull behind the Camaro, with just enough room for track tires/wheels, a jack and tools. But no way am I putting a hitch on the Viper, LOL!

I have seen it done on a Gen ​III or IV. Was not an obtrusive mod.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting, my approach to tracking is different. I like the idea of being able to drive straight to the track in my track car, rather than all the prep time associated with using a trailer. This way, I don't have to worry about how/where to store the trailer, the time that it takes to pick up and drop off, time to load/unload car, cost of trailer, Etc.

So I prefer to keep it simple. The downside of this is that I'm migrating towards Hoosiers on both track cars, and found a deal on lightly used slicks for the Camaro. If I start running these slicks, I'm not sure what I'd do since driving 4 hours to the track on slicks doesn't seem practical. Hoosiers seem to be just practical enough to drive to/from the track since they're DOT legal and have a couple of water grooves.

I drive back and forth to the track on Hoosiers.
My farthest commute is 150 miles one way. No problems unless it rains. If there is a possibility of rain, I always have a set of street tires and I just run them.
A word of caution; Hoosiers will destroy your car's paint when you are on public roads.
There are rock pecks on my doors, aside from the frosted areas behind the wheelwells.
At some point I will have to have the car painted.

You with the Stryker Red, ..........you almost need a 'less special' Viper as a track car.
My hat is off to you for tracking that awesome car, but wow.....really?

Hoosiers on a gen V. That would be absolutely killer.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive back and forth to the track on Hoosiers.
My farthest commute is 150 miles one way. No problems unless it rains. If there is a possibility of rain, I always have a set of street tires and I just run them.
A word of caution; Hoosiers will destroy your car's paint when you are on public roads.
There are rock pecks on my doors, aside from the frosted areas behind the wheelwells.
At some point I will have to have the car painted.

You with the Stryker Red, ..........you almost need a 'less special' Viper as a track car.
My hat is off to you for tracking that awesome car, but wow.....really?

Hoosiers on a gen V. That would be absolutely killer.

Good advice. I have 3M clear wrap (the thick stuff), I wonder if that protects it? I hit some weeds sideways at 120 in the Thunderhill infield, and the clear wrap had little tears and whip marks from the weeds. Miraculously, I replaced the clear wrap on my rocker and no damage to the paint underneath.

I'm migrating the Viper to an occasional track car now. I've modded my Camaro to the point that it's approaching the Viper's lap times, so that will be my main track machine. But to me, a Viper is meant to be driven on the track. Just can't resist.

Last time I tracked, the six other Vipers were either on Hoosiers or slicks. In this cold weather, they were sticking, and I was sliding around like crazy on my MPSCs. I see Hoosiers in my immediate future :D

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My goal has always been to more fully enjoy the high performance cars I have collected, and a big part of that became the art of high performance driving on the track, but also the enjoyment of driving them to and from distant tracks through amazing countryside that I would have never experienced otherwise. That meant driving them, and not trailering. I used to convoy up to 13 hours with a friend in an NSX and myself in a Supra TT and it was a blast. He then started trailering it and it became a drag for me always waiting on a pickup hauling a trailer, and the trip couldn't have been nearly as exciting for him either.

I think that you also develop your driving skill and car set-up to the point where future lap time gains are very minimal without sacrificing your safety margin and your car, and you tend to focus more on the overall experience without the same concern for lap times. At that point the use of restrictive and dedicated race tires just isn't as important, and the flexibility and convenience of an excellent performance tire becomes more appealing than the loss of a little in lap times. I chose my last two track cars for their high performance capabilities on street tires, rather than what they could do on race rubber, and the TA will be a standout for that. If my friend is just as fast in his GT-R on Hoosiers I can live with that, and I'll have a lot more fun if I have to put a little effort into making him my ***** :)

I'm looking forward to experiencing the TA on both the factory Corsas and probably Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and won't know if I'll want to run R-compounds after that until I've tried both. But either way I plan to drive it to as many distant and iconic race tracks as possible, and pray I never need a trailer to get it home!

OP
OP
D

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm curious about the sticky tire and dinging the paint too. My is the striker red as mentioned.
Curious to know how much it cost to have it 3M'd.
Had a friend shoot the spray on his new CLS 63 AMG with really good results. I know it's not as strong as the professional stuff but wondering if anyone has used it with good results.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My goal has always been to more fully enjoy the high performance cars I have collected, and a big part of that became the art of high performance driving on the track, but also the enjoyment of driving them to and from distant tracks through amazing countryside that I would have never experienced otherwise. That meant driving them, and not trailering. I used to convoy up to 13 hours with a friend in an NSX and myself in a Supra TT and it was a blast. He then started trailering it and it became a drag for me always waiting on a pickup hauling a trailer, and the trip couldn't have been nearly as exciting for him either.

I think that you also develop your driving skill and car set-up to the point where future lap time gains are very minimal without sacrificing your safety margin and your car, and you tend to focus more on the overall experience without the same concern for lap times. At that point the use of restrictive and dedicated race tires just isn't as important, and the flexibility and convenience of an excellent performance tire becomes more appealing than the loss of a little in lap times. I chose my last two track cars for their high performance capabilities on street tires, rather than what they could do on race rubber, and the TA will be a standout for that. If my friend is just as fast in his GT-R on Hoosiers I can live with that, and I'll have a lot more fun if I have to put a little effort into making him my ***** :)

I'm looking forward to experiencing the TA on both the factory Corsas and probably Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and won't know if I'll want to run R-compounds after that until I've tried both. But either way I plan to drive it to as many distant and iconic race tracks as possible, and pray I never need a trailer to get it home!

If you friend in the GTR with Hoosiers is a good driver, I don't think you are not going to be able to keep up. the tires do make that much of a difference. time will tell. My point on the trailer was as a prior person stated, it is much more relaxing there and back, place to store stuff and sit yourself between sets and honestly easy to load and unload. Might just be me, but after a full day or two of tracking, last thing I want to do is get back in the car and drive home at 65mph. Since I run hoosiers, they are also not a comfortable tire on the street, wear fast and throw everything up on the car because sticky. Additionally, pretty thin tire to begin with.

So, if you are alright staying w/street tires, I get it. If you go all in with the go fast goodies, you might find yourself changing your mind.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you friend in the GTR with Hoosiers is a good driver, I don't think you are not going to be able to keep up. the tires do make that much of a difference. time will tell. My point on the trailer was as a prior person stated, it is much more relaxing there and back, place to store stuff and sit yourself between sets and honestly easy to load and unload. Might just be me, but after a full day or two of tracking, last thing I want to do is get back in the car and drive home at 65mph. Since I run hoosiers, they are also not a comfortable tire on the street, wear fast and throw everything up on the car because sticky. Additionally, pretty thin tire to begin with.

So, if you are alright staying w/street tires, I get it. If you go all in with the go fast goodies, you might find yourself changing your mind.

After tracking for 10 years with all the go fast goodies, and track wheels crammed inside for trips up to 17 hours, I did change my mind...stop hauling the track wheels and make sure the next car has wide enough wheels for some serious street rubber! Hello TA :2tu:

I'm looking at booking with Chin Motorsports for a 2 day at Road Atlanta June 21-22 and then a 2 day at Virginia Int'l June 25-26. Four full days of travel, 4 days on track, 3000 miles...and endless smiles! Can't imagine trucking it, but I know lots would, but that trip will be as much about the drive as running those tracks again. Each of us needs to figure out our own preferences...and the day I had an "incident" at Watkin's Glen and paid for a 4.5 hr flat bed ride home I definitely re-examined my preference, but stuck with it.

OP
OP
D

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After tracking for 10 years with all the go fast goodies, and track wheels crammed inside for trips up to 17 hours, I did change my mind...stop hauling the track wheels and make sure the next car has wide enough wheels for some serious street rubber! Hello TA :2tu:

I'm looking at booking with Chin Motorsports for a 2 day at Road Atlanta June 21-22 and then a 2 day at Virginia Int'l June 25-26. Four full days of travel, 4 days on track, 3000 miles...and endless smiles! Can't imagine trucking it, but I know lots would, but that trip will be as much about the drive as running those tracks again. Each of us needs to figure out our own preferences...and the day I had an "incident" at Watkin's Glen and paid for a 4.5 hr flat bed ride home I definitely re-examined my preference, but stuck with it.

Thats the date I was thinking. I hope to see you out there.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, I wish those tracks weren't so far away, or I'd join you guys! I'm tempted to do a Viper road trip, Ralph Gilles style :drive:

dmann, the price of clear wrap varies quite a bit depending on how much you wrap and your installer's price. I paid $1400 for the Camaro wrap and will likely end up paying $3000+ for the Viper. The Viper's been wrapped for a while, but the installer replaced a piece I damaged and he's re-doing the hood so I still haven't paid him. I know people that have paid as much as $6000 for a full clear wrap, including everything, even the windshield.

I got a bunch of tiny rock chips in my Viper's windshield last time I tracked, so that's going to get wrapped as well.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, I wish those tracks weren't so far away, or I'd join you guys! I'm tempted to do a Viper road trip, Ralph Gilles style :drive:

dmann, the price of clear wrap varies quite a bit depending on how much you wrap and your installer's price. I paid $1400 for the Camaro wrap and will likely end up paying $3000+ for the Viper. The Viper's been wrapped for a while, but the installer replaced a piece I damaged and he's re-doing the hood so I still haven't paid him. I know people that have paid as much as $6000 for a full clear wrap, including everything, even the windshield.

I got a bunch of tiny rock chips in my Viper's windshield last time I tracked, so that's going to get wrapped as well.

Venom V,

Your bring up a good point on doing the windshield. Since many on the track from $3500.00 rice rockets to exotics are using R-compound tires, the windshield takes a lot of hits from stones and grit getting thrown up at the track. I wish I had a windshield clear bra option when I did my car back in 2009. There is a company called Clearplex (IIRC) that specializes in windshield protection, but I can't vouch for the company and their service. I've contacted them a couple of times for my wife's car and they fail to get back to me after promising an answer. Hopefully they can get their "stuff" together.

Cheers,
George

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom V,

Your bring up a good point on doing the windshield. Since many on the track from $3500.00 rice rockets to exotics are using R-compound tires, the windshield takes a lot of hits from stones and grit getting thrown up at the track. I wish I had a windshield clear bra option when I did my car back in 2009. There is a company called Clearplex (IIRC) that specializes in windshield protection, but I can't vouch for the company and their service. I've contacted them a couple of times for my wife's car and they fail to get back to me after promising an answer. Hopefully they can get their "stuff" together.

Cheers,
George

The shop that's doing my Camaro roll bar and seats offered to wrap my Camaro's windshield free of charge, and I think Clearplex is the brand. They're Tracklogic Motorsports in Rocklin. I'll let you know how it turns out, George.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yep clear bra is a MUST. I have all my cars protected. Here getting the V ready for the track..:D :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Next..:D

OP
OP
D

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bushido,
Did they clear your hole car?
Dang this is awesome! What brand of suspension?

Venom,
Does the windshield clear look any different than stock?

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bushido,

Venom,
Does the windshield clear look any different than stock?

I'll let you know when I get the Camaro back in a couple of weeks. I was told that if you wear polarized sunglasses, you will see some sort of rainbow effect. Otherwise, clarity is supposed to be good.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dmann (feels like I"m talking to myself), have you tracked your car before, or any car? would this be your first car tracking endeavor?

I ask because there's lots of great info here, but technically all you need to track the car is a good helmet and good shoes to feel the pedals. Drive to the track & enjoy.

I've found that I drive the viper totally stock (except for brake fluid) and I drive around 95% of people no problem in level 2, which is all I'm interested in. I don't race, race means competing in some way, although I've done a few autoX's which are OK, but after tracking for years the autoX feels more like I'm running thru a parking lot to find a space to park.

If you've done bikes for decades, I started on road courses with sport bikes in '87 and have done MX and motards throughout, you know you get so much on a race replica bike that little needs changing to go have the time of your life. Yes, if you're going to compete and want every advantage, then brakes, tires, light wheels, I mean it could go on to everything that's legal in your class. But I track for fun at open track days with my bikes & my viper & GT500 and on the viper, which is so capable, pulling 160 around the Charlotte required only a brain bucket and I drove the car 10 hrs there and back, and one track day there in the rain. These cars are so damn capable.

Do as much or as little as you like, but really to go run the car, get a good helmet and sign up, it's that easy, the rest you can scale into as you grow into the hobby & determine what & how you want to do it. The viper makes getting into a track hobby very, very easy. Like buying a liter class race replica bike, all you need is safety gear & respect for the machine.

OP
OP
D

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dmann (feels like I"m talking to myself), have you tracked your car before, or any car? would this be your first car tracking endeavor?

I ask because there's lots of great info here, but technically all you need to track the car is a good helmet and good shoes to feel the pedals. Drive to the track & enjoy.

I've found that I drive the viper totally stock (except for brake fluid) and I drive around 95% of people no problem in level 2, which is all I'm interested in. I don't race, race means competing in some way, although I've done a few autoX's which are OK, but after tracking for years the autoX feels more like I'm running thru a parking lot to find a space to park.

If you've done bikes for decades, I started on road courses with sport bikes in '87 and have done MX and motards throughout, you know you get so much on a race replica bike that little needs changing to go have the time of your life. Yes, if you're going to compete and want every advantage, then brakes, tires, light wheels, I mean it could go on to everything that's legal in your class. But I track for fun at open track days with my bikes & my viper & GT500 and on the viper, which is so capable, pulling 160 around the Charlotte required only a brain bucket and I drove the car 10 hrs there and back, and one track day there in the rain. These cars are so damn capable.

Do as much or as little as you like, but really to go run the car, get a good helmet and sign up, it's that easy, the rest you can scale into as you grow into the hobby & determine what & how you want to do it. The viper makes getting into a track hobby very, very easy. Like buying a liter class race replica bike, all you need is safety gear & respect for the machine.

I have never tracked a car. Some of the points you mentioned about the cars capabilities is probably the reason I feel so good in this car. On bikes you know when a bike is good to race outta the box. I guess I feel that same thing in this car..... Only thing is I have never raced a car.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bushido,

Thank's ..I wanted to clear the entire front end, but couldn't because there isn't a large enough sheet to wrap the whole clam shell hood..
The suspension is KW ( Variant 2 )..

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can understand driving the car to a track day and running on street tires, having fun and driving home.

If one goes to all of the effort and expense to buy Hoosiers, put it in a trailer, track alignment, etc. Why not just buy a fully dedicated track car like a Radical? It would be faster and less costly to run.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can understand driving the car to a track day and running on street tires, having fun and driving home.

If one goes to all of the effort and expense to buy Hoosiers, put it in a trailer, track alignment, etc. Why not just buy a fully dedicated track car like a Radical? It would be faster and less costly to run.

You are 100% correct. Once you've driven a "real" race car, every street car either stock or modified for the track shows its limitations. I've got a street Mustang modified for dedicated track use. After this year, I might just sell it and look for something like a Panoz. IMO, this would cost less to track and be safer since the car is built for the track.

My downfall is I like to modify cars and have done some mods to my Viper. Once modded, I like to put it on the track 2 or 3 times a year to see if my mods were worthwhile or not. Downfall of that is curiosity gets expensive, lol.

There really is no reason somebody can't take a stock Viper, drive it to the track and have a great time. But the more times you do that, the odds of a off track event or damage to the car becomes a very real reality....and Vipers are damn expensive to repair.

Cheers,
George

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score

For me that's why I do karting once a month with my shifter,and TAG kart. IMO there is no subsititute, being an inch from the ground going 90+ mph. Not to mention the G's that I pull. $8 bucks in gas,and a set of slicks cost only $250 bucks...Heading to Sonoma raceway next week. Can't wait!