Track Insurance

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have plans to go to the track this year. It was mentioned to me that I needed to make sure I had a track event policy. I was dumbfounded
By this. I have driven on a couple of tracks but always in a car other than mine. I thought surely my insurance would cover anything that
I could ever incur on track or hwy. So, I contacted my agent to ask, boy was I in for a shock. Not only would they not cover anything track
Related, I was told that if I participated in such said events I would be dropped immediately. Needless to say I was pi $$ed. So I have
begun looking or proper track insurance. I would look for other auto but I am assuming they are all the same? Anyone else shocked?
Can anyone recommend track insurers?

Sam Goldfarb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, I commend you for asking the question and doing the research before you need the coverage. The policy you are looking for would be race car insurance not race track insurance. Most of the tracks have insurance and it covers THEM not YOU! You will have to juggle on track, street and off track policies to make sure that they can co-exist with each other. In most cases the cost of the insurance will be high ( $1000 per event or more), the coverage low and it may not even touch the cost of the car. The best advice and "cheap insurance" is to enroll in a driving school and practice!

https://ontrackinsurance.com/
http://www.capcoverage.com/motorsports.html
https://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/Motorsports-Insurance

Spoiler alerts!
- Read the waivers you sign at the track
- Your New Car Warranty is voided for racing, yes they can look at your Forum posts and Facebook!
- Make sure that the Regions pay their Riders for events to maintain the National Association Coverage (Which does not cover your car!)
- Nobody covers "Street Racing" and the authorities can confiscate your car and KEEP it!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99.9 percent of us track rats just go to the track, have fun and be careful.
There is an exclusion for race tracks in all auto insurance policies. I found this out the hard way when I had an incident early on in my HPDE life.
You wreck it, you pay to fix it. ...............worse if you damage someone else's car.

The event host and / or track facility carries an insurance policy. It covers nothing. It is to afford lawyers in the event of anybody sues when they twist their ankle in the paddock or something stupid like that.

I have started and run an HPDE club at my local track. We have instructors, classroom sessions, insurance, volunteer track staff, on site ambulance, the whole bit.
If you drive your Viper in well organized events, you should be OK and not have any problems.
Open lapping days are a different story. Some of the crazies that show up have no respect and no regard for safety.

The Viper event you are going to should be safe and a lot of fun.......no worries, just pay attention to your instructor, respect the car for the monster that it is, and drive within your ability. Learn and progress at your own pace.

I haven't been to MPH only because of the distance. I don't trailer my car and I run Hoosiers. -that just too long of a commute for me on track tires.
Also have 5 tracks in Colorado, so I am not bored with the running the same circuit all the time.

Have fun!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
. Not only would they not cover anything track
Related, I was told that if I participated in such said events I would be dropped immediately. Needless to say I was pi $$ed. So I have
begun looking or proper track insurance. I would look for other auto but I am assuming they are all the same? Anyone else shocked?
Can anyone recommend track insurers?

I remember the following post about the wonderful GEICO Insurance company cancelling a member's policy after seeing a video online. I have also heard that some might troll track photographers' websites. http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/668714-quot-ALERT-quot-Big-problems-with-GEICO-Insurance

ontrackinsurance.com is run by a fellow Viper owner and is often recommended in threads like these.
Note, these HPDE policies are typically a high deductible (like 10% of car value) and I don't think that they cover liability. I have never bought one. I just try to stay within my safety zone; however, it is easy for anyone to make that one bad mistake. It happens occasionally. (Usually to youngish males.)

Last edited:

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In other words DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. "The Viper event you are going to should be safe and a lot of fun......." Ok so is cruising along to a car show....you never know whats gonna happen on the streets or the track.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
My "collector car" policy is void if the car is even in the parking lot of a track or race facility. Be very careful and read your policy very carefully--Dave

OP
OP
broomrider

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I truly appreciate all the advice given. It still just blows my mind that auto insurers are getting off the hook so easily. They should be obligated to cover what ever
Risk you are willing to take. With the understanding that you might be dropped after the claim is paid or your rate will increase. We are required by law to carry
It but they have so many loop holes to not pay on anything period. It makes me ill to think about it.:rolleyes::crazy2:

TRACKDAY

Viper Owner
Reaction score
99.9 percent of us track rats just go to the track, have fun and be careful.
There is an exclusion for race tracks in all auto insurance policies. I found this out the hard way when I had an incident early on in my HPDE life.
You wreck it, you pay to fix it. ...............worse if you damage someone else's car.

The event host and / or track facility carries an insurance policy. It covers nothing. It is to afford lawyers in the event of anybody sues when they twist their ankle in the paddock or something stupid like that.

I have started and run an HPDE club at my local track. We have instructors, classroom sessions, insurance, volunteer track staff, on site ambulance, the whole bit.
If you drive your Viper in well organized events, you should be OK and not have any problems.
Open lapping days are a different story. Some of the crazies that show up have no respect and no regard for safety.

The Viper event you are going to should be safe and a lot of fun.......no worries, just pay attention to your instructor, respect the car for the monster that it is, and drive within your ability. Learn and progress at your own pace.

I haven't been to MPH only because of the distance. I don't trailer my car and I run Hoosiers. -that just too long of a commute for me on track tires.
Also have 5 tracks in Colorado, so I am not bored with the running the same circuit all the time.

Have fun!

I agree with Allan 100%.

In addition, most "track day" insurance policies only pay out if the vehicle is considered a "total loss", meaning they will not cover cosmetic damage or engine failures.

Also, be sure to either remove your license plate or cover it while your car is on track so it's not recorded by another car's video or GoPro.....you inadvertently let the cat out of the bag and your insurance company is now aware of your interest :omg:

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My "collector car" policy is void if the car is even in the parking lot of a track or race facility. Be very careful and read your policy very carefully--Dave
I have Grundy agreed value and the policy clearly states no racing or race events...I am not willing to jeopardize that by any means, sorry. As far as insurance goes, put yourself in their shoes....you have to cover someone driving the car "balls out and pedal to the metal"? Its a huge risk for the driver and the insurance. broom do not get upset that's just the reality accept it. And no Obama has nothing to do with this.:D

OP
OP
broomrider

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Grundy agreed value and the policy clearly states no racing or race events...I am not willing to jeopardize that by any means, sorry. As far as insurance goes, put yourself in their shoes....you have to cover someone driving the car "balls out and pedal to the metal"? Its a huge risk for the driver and the insurance. broom do not get upset that's just the reality accept it. And no Obama has nothing to do with this.:D
Ha! Damn you took my person to blame Obama is my go to. I know it is what it is but I can still hate it. I'm just saying when it comes to the oily little fun stealers,
I would rather show them my middle finger. I pay the note, and I should be able to do what I want. They want my money and then have say over what I can and can't do. When they insure a car they shouldn't expect you won't drive it. That's like going to a horse farm and not expecting to step in horse $hit.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"That's like going to a horse farm and not expecting to step in horse $hit. " Or its like buying a fighter jet and not engage in dog fight. :D sounds better Or its like eating beans all day and not expecting to fart like an elephant all night. Is this one better?

OP
OP
broomrider

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"That's like going to a horse farm and not expecting to step in horse $hit. " Or its like buying a fighter jet and not engage in dog fight. :D sounds better Or its like eating beans all day and not expecting to fart like an elephant all night. Is this one better?
I thought what I posted was honest. The farting elephant thing was hilarious. :rolaugh:

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Broom..... the good news is...... you can street race and insurance will cover you 100%........ if they buy a good story you brew up

Sam Goldfarb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Broom..... the good news is...... you can street race and insurance will cover you 100%........ if they buy a good story you brew up

Remember there are those that read anything on the internet with more reverence than the Bible. I know you are kidding, but your statement is:

Not true! And as I stated before the police can confiscate and keep your car! You get to keep the payments. pay the fines and do the jail time though! Plus any civil lawsuit that might result from property damage, bodily injury or death. One of the greatest, often not mentioned, benefits of insurance is the legal defense costs they absorb. These expenses falls on you if they deem there is "no coverage" for the loss, due to racing.

I've seen policies that have exclusions under the bodily injury, property damage liability, uninsured motorist, under insured motorist, accidental death benefits and collision coverage portions saying if the loss were the result of racing there would be no coverage.

So racing is illegal, and racing is risky, and racing may even cancel out your coverage. But what will a conviction do to your premiums?
Typically your rates can rise anywhere from 30 percent to 200 percent, depending on your insurer and your state's laws.

In Louisiana racing on a public street can result in $500-$2000 fine and/or 1-5 years in jail plus any civil lawsuit that might result from property damage, bodily injury or death.

According to the Texas Penal Code, if found of guilty of racing the first time offender will receive a fine of up to $2000, 180 days in jail or both. Additionally, a street racer will automatically have his or her license suspended for up to one year, and he or she must complete 10 hours of community service before it is reinstated. Repeat offenders are dealt with even more harshly. In fact, the punishment can range all the way up to a second degree felony, including the suspension of the driver's license, imprisonment for two to 20 years, a fine of up to $10,000 or both. If found guilty after receiving two second degree felonies for illegally racing, the next offense can lead to life in prison.

Each state has it's own version of these laws and some states charge riders and spectators with crimes and fines!

Next time some other Viper, Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, Hellcat etc. pulls up beside you, ask yourself if the risk is worth it! Remember there are cameras everywhere, virtually every driver you pass anymore has theirs in their hand!!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pay the note, and I should be able to do what I want. They want my money and then have say over what I can and can't do. When they insure a car they shouldn't expect you won't drive it. That's like going to a horse farm and not expecting to step in horse $hit.

Do you think that they should be required to cover you if you if you gut the interior, install a roll cage and a fire suppression system, and start racing in SCCA sanctioned events? Or are we just talking about where the cut off that government control of a private industry should be set at? Keep in mind that there is no law that one must have car insurance except for operating a vehicle on a public roadway.

I certainly would like car insurance to be the way it was 10 years ago, and have the car driving public cover my HPDE (non-racing!) track day risk. I do think that it is a reasonable desire, given that I am subsidizing incompetent, drunk, high, texting drivers out on the public roadways.

Sam Goldfarb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think that they should be required to cover you if you if you gut the interior, install a roll cage and a fire suppression system, and start racing in SCCA sanctioned events? Or are we just talking about where the cut off that government control of a private industry should be set at? Keep in mind that there is no law that one must have car insurance except for operating a vehicle on a public roadway.

I certainly would like car insurance to be the way it was 10 years ago, and have the car driving public cover my HPDE (non-racing!) track day risk. I do think that it is a reasonable desire, given that I am subsidizing incompetent, drunk, high, texting drivers out on the public roadways.

They insure you with expected risks and tell you what is excluded before you sign and/or pay the premium. They don't jump out and yell "surprise" we don't cover you racing the car. It's listed in the fine print that few ever read until after the fact. You know what they say about "assume" it makes an ass out of you & me!

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Broom has long eyelashes and a great smile minimal brewing required. On the rare occasion that doesn't work, tears have always been beneficial:lmao:

Broom, before Sam does, I need to remind you that eye lashes and tears are not a legal defense or to be used as a midigating device.

Insert big ass smile here

OP
OP
broomrider

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to remind you that eye lashes and tears are not a legal defense or to be used as a midigating device.
I

Hahahahahahaha! well I can say that they have gotten Broom out of a jam a time or two. Sweet southern charm combined with those go a whole lot farther
Insert even bigger smile here.

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I'm glad you got the low down before the trip was scheduled. I for one was wondering if I participate in a sanctioned "safe driving" course for our cars that my insurance may give me a discount...for trying to be safer and all. But now that you got your answer, I don't think I will be taking the risk of asking my agent if I can get a discount. I can see it now..."I participated in a safe driving track course for my car, can I get any discounts for that?" "Nope, but how about we help you choose another underwriter since you are hereby cancelled IMMEDIATELY!" That would ****...IMMEDIATELY!:omg:

38D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a big different between HPDE and racing...not even remotely similar.

Racing insurance is very, very expensive. When I last looked at it, premium was 15% of the car value with a 20% value deductible. So for 100k car, you'd need to do more than 35k damage before it made sense...every year!

HPDE insurance is typically more reasonable. Lot's of options out there. IIRC it cost in the 3-5k range.

I've been doing HPDEs since 1995 and racing since 2005. During that time I've had 3 incidents. One was minor ($3k) one was moderate ($12k) and one was major where I turtled the car ($30k). If I had paid HPDE/racing premiums all those years, it would have cost me way more than the ~45k i've spent in damages for 20+ years. A good practice is to put a few $s in your car account every year to help build up a buffer in case of an incident.

But really the best rule is if you can't afford to walk away from it, don't take it to the track.

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to get too far off-topic, but what about normal insurance and normal street related accident claims? My understanding is these cars have specialized parts, even the hood, and I know in the past on other vehicles my adjusters have tried to go the 'cheap' route and find aftermarket products to replace. Is anyone seeing this being a problem where the insurance co not wanting to pay OEM replacement costs?

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I don't know what insurance everyone has. However, I know with Allstate I can demand OEM parts and get them. My agent told me it's usually the other insurance (if responsible) will try and use non OEM and get your vehicle in one of there less expensive shops. I was told that I can also demand what shop I want to use.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I don't know what insurance everyone has. However, I know with Allstate I can demand OEM parts and get them. My agent told me it's usually the other insurance (if responsible) will try and use non OEM and get your vehicle in one of there less expensive shops. I was told that I can also demand what shop I want to use.

Same here with State Farm. I can pick a shop, though they won't necessarily cover the full cost. I might have to pay the difference between one of their "sponsored" shops and what my shop of choice costs, but it's worth it to me. Last year coming home from a show my front tire pulled up a piece of concrete from the highway (baseball sized chunk, I still have it) and rolled it around the inner fender before shooting it into the fog light panel. Cracked the fender from the bottom, busted the headlight, and shattered part of the inner fender. They were pretty good about it though. Got it claimed that night and had it in a shop a few days later. All I had was a moderate deductible and I was back on the road.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Brrroooom, Brrrooom Rider, I do believe that George Anderson , Mgr at Motorsports Park Hastings ( www.racemph.com, home of the Viper Rendezvous ) now has an Insurance Company offering quality rates at his track if it is one of their sanctioned events. His cell number I 402-461-8031 , so you might give him a call and double check.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting discussion.

1 ) Driving school must be covered by your insurance no matter where it takes place

2 ) Racing is strickly prohibited by all insurance policies, they cancel your policy and you are in trouble. They will even check your cell phone's GPS, your car's computer.

3) Promoter's track insurance only covers legal fees and some small injury expenses

4) All track accidents are very expensive, drive according how much many you can afford to lose

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting discussion.

1 ) Driving school must be covered by your insurance no matter where it takes place

What does the law or regulation that you refer to define to be a driving school? Are you only talking about Canadian laws/regulations? I wouldn't have thought that any of the "HPDE" events that are being discussed here are "schools." I thought that the relevant insurance regulations were set by each state in the US; and, therefore, could vary.

OP
OP
broomrider

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brrroooom, Brrrooom Rider, I do believe that George Anderson , Mgr at Motorsports Park Hastings ( www.racemph.com, home of the Viper Rendezvous ) now has an Insurance Company offering quality rates at his track if it is one of their sanctioned events. His cell number I 402-461-8031 , so you might give him a call and double check.
Thanks, Bill I will.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Interesting discussion.

2 ) Racing is strickly prohibited by all insurance policies, they cancel your policy and you are in trouble. They will even check your cell phone's GPS, your car's computer.

3) Promoter's track insurance only covers legal fees and some small injury expenses

4) All track accidents are very expensive, drive according how much many you can afford to lose

I'm not sure I see a problem with racing as long as you don't try to make a claim based on an accident that occurs while doing so. If I put my car into a wall I'll just **** it up and either get what I can out of it or knowing me be stubborn enough to get it fixed on my dime. I don't see why my insurance should care if I race the car if I'm not trying to get them to pay for it.

By this definition, no one would ever be able to do a track day of any kind because they wouldn't be able to insure their car period, let alone track insurance. Guess it's just me, but it's an honesty/integrity thing from my standpoint. I don't expect my insurance to cover me on a racetrack, regardless of what kind of event is going on, but there's no reason they can't still cover me on the street.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of great information here. Makes me think twice about tracking my car now....