Track Tire Pressure for Pilot Sport Cups

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I searched and searched but I couldn't find the information I'm sure that I've seen on the site before, namely the recommended tire pressure for the Pilot Sport Cups for track use. Can anyone chime in here and let me know what psi you're running (cold or hot) in the Cups at the track? Kai? I've been running mid-30s hot, but wanted to check with you guys.

I called Michelin, but since the Cups aren't stock for the car, they couldn't give me any pressure information at all, not even ballpark, even though they are the manufacture of the rubber, suggesting instead that I call Dodge. Riiiiiight... By the way, Michelin recommends 29 psi all the way around on the stock run flats, which sounds low to me.

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran 27 LF, 28 RF, 28 LR, 29 RR, but you really need to check with a pyrometer to know your optimal pressures. Also, if you run nitrogen, you should start with higher pressures because it will not change as much as regular air with increasing temps.

I only ran the Michelins a few times at the track because they **** on the road course, and I run lower pressures on slicks. You basically want to be in the 35-36 psi range hot on the Michelins.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My hot temperature target is 33-34 up front, 35-36 in the rear. The Sport Cups are sensitive to over inflation. If they start to get too much pressure, you will feel the grip start to go away. Slightly under-inflated is better than over inflated with these tires.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, Michelin recommends 29 psi all the way around on the stock run flats, which sounds low to me.

Cold pressure for general street driving, that's about right. The stock runflats at the track need to be significantly higher (hot pressures of around 40.)

If you're running the Sport Cups on the street, air them up a bit so that in general driving, they are running around 30-32. Once you get to the track, let a little air out, so they will not be over-inflated when they get really hot.

When the Sport Cup tires cool down after hot lapping, they are going to be really low. They can lose between 6-10psi coming down from track temperatures to normal driving temperatures. First time this happened to me, my tire pressure sensors went off because pressure had dropped so low the sensors thought I had a flat tire (and the ride height dropped enough that I couldn't get my jack under the car to change wheels without airing up the tires a bit.)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I found that 32 psi front / rear cold works as a good starting point for the track with Cups. After you've run a couple of laps, you may want to adjust up or down, depending upon the track and the weather / temp / humidity. These tires don't give much warning when they come loose. I tried 34 cold f/r at the last Viper Days at Spring Mountain (air temp 95 - 100, no humidity) and spun, so be careful. They seem to like a bit lower inflation pressures better, especially as outside temps rise, as Kai says.

Good luck.

Dan

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run the cups on my GTS on the track so don't know if the numbers directly apply to the SRT.

I find I need a little lower pressure for them to stick compared to some other tires.
I will usually start out with 30/29 cold and keep them at 34/33 max hot.

When they cool down at lunchtime, you need to put some air back in.

Also, these tires take me 2 full laps to come up to temp where I can push it. If I go off track, it's usually in the first 2 laps because I get on it before the tires have come up to temp.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What have you people found that the runflats run best at hot and cold both on the street and on the track. What about the non runflats michlin makes