Tracked my SRT at Lightningfest in Topeka (mit pics)

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With only 1500 miles on my SRT I decided to take her to Heartland Park in Topeka and track it during Lightningfest '04. The Lightning guys were generous enough to have an open invite to all other car enthusiasts who wanted to get some track time.

The car was sssoooooo much fun on the track. I was constantly overtaking all the other cars in my class (intermediate/beginner) including several AC Cobra replicas. If I just could have gotten over the fear of hurting my baby, I could have gone a bit quicker.

Here are a couple of pics from the event.

The Porsche club had this swank trailer and were constantly refining the setup on their cars
6147Lightningfest04_1.jpg

The driver of the GTS was a great guy, from KC, named Mark. He gave me some very helpful on track instruction.
6147Lightningfest04_5.jpg

Lining up for a parade lap around the track
6147Lightningfest04_2.jpg

Cobras on the parade lap
6147Lightningfest04_4.jpg

6147Lightningfest04_3.jpg

Came to the track with 1500 miles on my car. Left with 10,000 miles of tire ware.
6147Lightningfest04_7.jpg

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Please post if you get another opportunity, I'd love to trailer up and join the ride.

Dave

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool deal! Mark Kirby is a good guy and a great driver. You will be amused to know that very same GTS was pretty much totaled last spring up in Iowa. I believe it is now a dedicated track car.

Be sure to let us know when you pop up here again, as we have a LOT of Viper owners that would be happy to join you. Are you going to try to come up here for the Mopar Super Weekend this Saturday & Sunday? It is also at Heartland Park in Topeka and features drag racing, autocross, and a 600+ car show...

Thanks for the great post and cool pictures!

OP
OP
A

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool deal! Mark Kirby is a good guy and a great driver. You will be amused to know that very same GTS was pretty much totaled last spring up in Iowa. I believe it is now a dedicated track car.

Be sure to let us know when you pop up here again, as we have a LOT of Viper owners that would be happy to join you. Are you going to try to come up here for the Mopar Super Weekend this Saturday & Sunday? It is also at Heartland Park in Topeka and features drag racing, autocross, and a 600+ car show...

Thanks for the great post and cool pictures!

Chris,

I saw the info on the Mopar Super Weekend while I was at the track. Unfortunately, because of a previous commitment, I won't be able to go :( . Which is bumming me out, because I would love to come back up! One thing I really noticed while I was in Kansas is how many "car guys" there are. I stayed with a buddy in Leavenworth and was amazed at the number of hotrods, musclecars, etc. that were out driving around on Sunday. Kansas is a great state.

Mark didn't mention his GTS getting totalled! (I got to ride in it for my orientation lap, and it is definitely a dedicated track car) The only story that Mark told me was about the Porsche driver who was killed at the end of the main straight (which was nice to have floating around in my mind, being my first time on that track, and all).

Thanks for the info.

Bryon