Traction Issues with FI

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Getting my car back on Monday. I have nitto 20's on the back. I also have motons with some pretty stiff springs on the back.

I think I may need to put some softer springs on and maybe drop down to 18 or 19" wheels with some stickier tires. What have you other FI guys done?

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No FI just yet but when the car gets paxton w/ full bolt ons in a few weeks I'm planning on getting Hoosier A6 (345/30-19). Many people here says it's NOT to be used on the street but I've been using them on various street driven cars without any issues. Yeah, it will only last about 5Kmi. but the traction is far better than PS2 or PZeros. To go this route, you must go with 18 and 19 since they don't come in 20

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hear those will pick up lots of sand and spray your paint behind the wheels. You had any problems with that? Also, what about traction in cooler weather?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can also look to the Michelin PS2's. GREAT tire!!! They make a 335/30/20. Its is about 3/4" taller then stock, so I had to raise my rear of car a 1/2" to keep from rubbing. You would also think that a 335 is not as wide, but its actually wider then your Nittos. Nittos ****, plain and simple. The PS2 being 28" tall gives you more sidewall and better grip. With the Paxton it still hooked well.

Ask ILLSMOQ, he had PS2's also, then switched back to Pirellis and I saw him get way sideways shifting on the freeway from 3-4th. He said it was night and day with the PS2's. So if you stay 20", try the Michelins. If you go 18/19 then there are more options. But I love the look of 20's in the rear.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the A6 19" on the rear for a year. A very very sticky tire. I Believe I would go with the R6 if I had it to do over again. Tops of 3500 miles on the A6 and much less if you have a heavy foot.

At this time I am using the new Michelin 19" sport cups on the rear. A great tire that will give me a lot more tire ware than the A6's-I have about 3000 miles on the cups and they show very little ware. I will have to admit that the A6 hooks better than the cups. With the A6 & my SC set up-no wheel hop-just a little spin in first and you could not make the Viper spin or fishtail in other gears. The cups are also a good sticky tire but they need a little more warm up and are much much better on wet roads - the Viper just handles better with the cups.

Now what I really need to get is a extra set of rear rims and put on the A6's when I go to the drag track. Or put them on when a local person I know gets his ZR1 and wants to do a little straight line running;)

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
do the sport cups come in 20"?

I will know better tomorrow when I get my car how well the nittos are holding the pavement.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes--The new

245/30ZR20 431$ each

315/25ZR20 around 685$ each

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
do the sport cups grip better than the nittos? I have been pretty happy with the nittos just want as much as I can get at this point.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently got the new 335/25/20 PS2 *original equipment for the new ZR-1* and 295/25/20 for the front for my GTS with new iForged rims. Great tires and great rims!

I have noticed that the tires pick up stones though... but don't really know of any solutions to that...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear those will pick up lots of sand and spray your paint behind the wheels. You had any problems with that? Also, what about traction in cooler weather?

Yes the r6 pick up every living piece of crap out there. They also stick like a mother too. There is always a down side I guess.

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If UGR set up your boost through the AEM, you can adjust it by speed...which helps. If you have the Greddy Profec B, I'm not sure how you can adjust the boost to help with traction.

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just picked up the car this afternoon.. All I can say is OMG!! It is awesome. even with the boost controller off, it pulls way harder than the paxton. I'll have to take it easy for a bit to get use to it though.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just picked up the car this afternoon.. All I can say is OMG!! It is awesome. even with the boost controller off, it pulls way harder than the paxton. I'll have to take it easy for a bit to get use to it though.

:needpics:

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am still on the way home. no camera yet.

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
kllymartin,

I will not be able to. I am taking my sweet time getting home from Charlotte..visiting some relatives along the way. I would like to make it to the next one just to observe, and maybe consider the next one. I want to take my time getting use to all this new power. btw, what tires are you running on yours on the street? are you happy with them? I am thinking of getting the Cups.

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
kllymartin,

I will not be able to. I am taking my sweet time getting home from Charlotte..visiting some relatives along the way. I would like to make it to the next one just to observe, and maybe consider the next one. I want to take my time getting use to all this new power. btw, what tires are you running on yours on the street? are you happy with them? I am thinking of getting the Cups.

I run the Pirelli 345-25-20's on my HRE's. And I have the new M&H 18" drag radial AND the BFG drag radial for the track and roll-ons.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will 2nd that the new ZR1 Michelin PS2 sticks. It seems softer then the regular pS2 even though its a runflat. It had way more rocks that would stick into tire then my old PS2's. That to me is a sign of how sof they are.

Fast Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ZR1 PS2 Runflats STICK! I've had the OEM runflats, Pirelli's, PS2's and these zr1 ps2 runflats, and DAMN do these tires ROCK. I don't lose any traction, even with such a small sidewall. Love Them! I Highly recommend these tires, they work well with my iforged monacos, and best of all, they look great! :headbang:

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
kllymartin,

PJJP

I saw your car when I was at UR. Beautiful machine, be careful with the new power. Take your time getttig use to it. :2tu:

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2MANYTOYS, definitely lots of beautiful machines at UR. Thanks,

MikeR, so did you put the ZR1 tire on your car? Isn't that tire shorter than the PS2 you had before? If so, does it still offer better traction?

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know how you couldn't. My tech wants to put a Roe on the car but I have traction issues with my lowly 500hp let alone 700hp.

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Who here actually HAS the PS2 ZPs? How well do they grip compared to the Nittos or Pirelli's? To switch them out I will have drop back down to 19" fronts to keep a matched set. I do not want to go to that expense unless I will get some noticeable traction improvement on the rear.

MikeR, do they hook better than the original PS2's you had?

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who here actually HAS the PS2 ZPs? How well do they grip compared to the Nittos or Pirelli's? To switch them out I will have drop back down to 19" fronts to keep a matched set. I do not want to go to that expense unless I will get some noticeable traction improvement on the rear.

MikeR, do they hook better than the original PS2's you had?

He didn't have them on the car long enough to be able to answer that question.

My bet would be that the 335/30zr20 PS2 has a ton more grip than the little 335/25zr20...they are much smaller.

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I looked on the Michelin site and it appears that the regular PS2 is available in 285/25/20 for my fronts now. And a 335/30/20 as well as a 335/25/20 for the rear. Hmmm...