Traded for a Different Challenger... 2012...

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I ended up not liking the 2010 Challenger that was delivered because there were a few paint issues (never fully trust Autocheck & Carfax). So, I told them to take it back and they did with no issues even though they delivered it almost 300 miles.

We then worked out a new deal on a 2012 Challenger SRT-8. It is "redline" in color, six-speed with the 392 Hemi. I realize the newer ones are harder to modify, but once I save enough money to do some good mods someone will crack the computer codes--a couple of companies are already working on a supercharger...

Just for your information, the dealer discounted the car down to invoice and gave me $38K for my 03 Viper with 18K miles (I fully understand that the dealer does make holdback money and maybe there are some dealer incentives now), but the guy worked his butt off for me to find the right car with the option package I wanted.

I know it isn't a Viper, but it is a very cool car and in some ways better (or at least more useful) than the Viper. They are delivering it free to my house (again) in an enclosed trailer and picking my Viper up. I've been working a lot on this lately and this is the absolute best deal I could find anywhere by quite a lot...

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Saw a red with silver stripes SRT 8 this past Wednesday -

Looked very nice.

Good luck - look for some photos.

Golfer15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will love the new 6.4L engine. It's got a lot of get up and go. I don't know how much the interior differs from the 300 in the way of options, but SRT has done wonders with it, I love the new interior (had an 08). I don't what you had in the way of mods in your Viper, but this will come very close in performance. I had only been in a GEN III once and is was a bit rough comfort wise, there will be no comparison here. CONGRATS and ENJOY!!!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love my 6.1, and the new 6.4 is even sweeter (I don't dare drive one...)

Good luck with the Chally, they are beautiful and fast cars.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
You will love the new 6.4L engine. It's got a lot of get up and go. I don't know how much the interior differs from the 300 in the way of options, but SRT has done wonders with it, I love the new interior (had an 08). I don't what you had in the way of mods in your Viper, but this will come very close in performance. I had only been in a GEN III once and is was a bit rough comfort wise, there will be no comparison here. CONGRATS and ENJOY!!!

Your joking right?. While GTD has traded for a car that fits what he wants, and I bet it looks badass, you are dreaming if you think a 4400lbs+ car with approx 460+/- HP is close in performance to a 3400 lbs car with 505 HP.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your joking right?. While GTD has traded for a car that fits what he wants, and I bet it looks badass, you are dreaming if you think a 4400lbs+ car with approx 460+/- HP is close in performance to a 3400 lbs car with 505 HP.

Slight Correction... Challenger 470hp and curb weight is 4,170 lbs. (It's not a 1972 New Yorker... :lmao:)

Still Viper wins a race, yes. Unless however, you stick a 700 pound anvil in the passenger seat. Then we have a race and maybe even better on a track because the Viper is now serverely out of balance... ;)

Golfer15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hands down it's the Viper especially on the track, but the new SRT 8's are a very quick ride....0-60 in the mid 4's, 0-100 around 12. Not bad stats for a heavier car. Just sayin it's close, not the same.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like those new Challengers, by far my favorite compared to the Camaro or Mustang. Enjoy your new toy and post some pics.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was just at Road Atlanta chasing a new 5.0 Mustang (with suspension mods) around the course. The 5.0 was not faster accelerating but I can tell you it went around corners just as fast as my 500 hp car. Now my car may have been handicapped by my lack of skill but I can tell you don't belittle any newer pony car or some of the European and Japanese performance sedans. I can tell you a Nissan GTR will eat your lunch on a road course. Just sayin'

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I can tell you a Nissan GTR will eat your lunch on a road course. Just sayin'

GTR's were at the track last time I was and it hasn't happened yet. Now if it was raining.....or a drag strip i could see it.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you a more or less stock - except for tires - set the quickest time for Time Trials in its group at Road Atlanta at NARRA this spring and not one other car was close unless it was heavily modified. It may have all kinds of nannies but they were kicking ass and taking names at RA. I don't like it but that's the facts!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loved my 09 Hemi Challenger 6.1 for awhile BUT way too heavy and the new ZL1 Camaro or Shelby Mustang will kick *****, even with the new 392. They just dont look as good as the Challey though.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am almost immediately converting it to a 'Cuda with shaker hood, 'Cuda grill and 'Cuda custom rear end. It may be on display at Mopar Nationals with the company that is going to design a new shaker hood to fit the 6.4 Hemi... Crossing my fingers everything works out!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am almost immediately converting it to a 'Cuda with shaker hood, 'Cuda grill and 'Cuda custom rear end. It may be on display at Mopar Nationals with the company that is going to design a new shaker hood to fit the 6.4 Hemi... Crossing my fingers everything works out!

Post some pics of what this looks like if you have seen pics of a car with this setup.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTR's were at the track last time I was and it hasn't happened yet. Now if it was raining.....or a drag strip i could see it.

Here's a vid of the GTR lap Joel was talking about. Take nothing away from the driver or the record but its amazing to me that even though the line isn't even close to what I think would be fast, this car certainly was. You can even hear the nannies working their magic at the top of the esses! Don't know how much boost he was making but one of the 650 RWHP World Challenge GTSs in our group was chasing him and the GTR simply walked away on the straights.

rjsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That TSM GTR in the video has over 1000 HP. Not apples to apples.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I can tell you a more or less stock - except for tires - set the quickest time for Time Trials in its group at Road Atlanta at NARRA this spring and not one other car was close unless it was heavily modified. It may have all kinds of nannies but they were kicking ass and taking names at RA. I don't like it but that's the facts!

1000 HP is a little more then stock Joel. :) I have yet to be beat by a stock GTR on a road course. I bet a stock one will hand me my *** on a drag strip though.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GT-Rs are fabulous pieces of machinery but I've chatted with 5 or more GT-R drivers at various track events and not one of them has ever offered that the cars are fun to drive. Easy to drive fast, yes. Capable of insanely good times for a big car, yes. Engaging and visceral, no. As most on these boards, I prefer the seat-of-the-pants action of a non-ABS, non traction-control, torquey, tail-happy beast. Isn't always faster, but always way more fun!

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GT-Rs are fabulous pieces of machinery but I've chatted with 5 or more GT-R drivers at various track events and not one of them has ever offered that the cars are fun to drive. Easy to drive fast, yes. Capable of insanely good times for a big car, yes. Engaging and visceral, no. As most on these boards, I prefer the seat-of-the-pants action of a non-ABS, non traction-control, torquey, tail-happy beast. Isn't always faster, but always way more fun!

Oh I am with you and Shooter on that but it was pretty impressive to see how fast they got around - and those were "stock" -whatever that really is - in our HPDE class. Don't know about the time trialer but he was in a lower class than the supposedly high horsepower cars but 1000 hp seems incredible. Didn't see his dyno sheet though. Does that mean I don't have to explore my ABS threshhold? LOL

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah, ABS is a fine thing. :) I'll go look through the vids I took last weekend - I know I was pushing a stock-looking GT-R for a few laps and he was squirrely from 2 to 6....but the nannies helped him a lot.

If I recall, I couldn't catch him much on the straights and I'm running 630+ RW so he probably wasn't stock....but he certainly looked stock....hard to tell the wolves-in-doberman-clothing among GT-Rs!

I'll see if I can find it, and if its how I remember it, the nannies saved his butt a few times where if a normal car had done what he did it woulda been spin-city.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BINGO! Except I'll keep my ABS. I like standing on the brakes and letting the tires chirp. I have enough to concentrate on. lol
I'm 100% sure that if you put me a GTR, I would turn a faster lap time than I do in my Viper, but it wouldn't be near as enjoyable.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Posted here as well....there're two threads discussing the same stuff:

https://vimeo.com/44523238

It was fun running with the guy and very interesting to see that car do super-human stuff. Check out 1:54, 3:28, 3:44 and 3:57. If normal cars got that squirrely, they would likely have gone off....the GT-R corrected these indiscretions pretty well. Maybe the chap was just testing out the nannies, but it seemed like he'd get more out of shape when I was pushing him.

Anyhow, impressive cars indeed.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Few take a stock GTR to the track. There is huge aftermarket support for making those cars go faster at the track.
Not fair to claim a certain car is stock (except for tires : >) when it is really unknown.

Turbo cars are pretty easy to up the boost.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi George. I do not know whether you care about road course handling for your new Challenger but if you want to improve the handling put on a Hotchkis Sport front and rear anti sway bar set and front and rear tower strut supports ( these are available from a number of vendors). I have them on mine and the difference in handling is day and night over the stock suspension. ( I test drove a 2012 SRT8 Challenger expecting it to be a close comparison. It wasn't. My car corners flat and handles like a much lighter car than it is. The stock 2012 wallowed. It felt like a whale.)

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We then worked out a new deal on a 2012 Challenger SRT-8. It is "redline" in color, six-speed with the 392 Hemi. I realize the newer ones are harder to modify, but once I save enough money to do some good mods someone will crack the computer codes--a couple of companies are already working on a supercharger...
We're twins George!! '12 SRT8 redline 6-speed here as well. The factory supercharger is rumored to arrive in the '14 MY in a slighly smaller displacement HEMI mill. Gotta love the adaptive suspension on the SRT8.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like this? On my dealer's lot as an $5800 kit option.
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're twins George!! '12 SRT8 redline 6-speed here as well. The factory supercharger is rumored to arrive in the '14 MY in a slighly smaller displacement HEMI mill. Gotta love the adaptive suspension on the SRT8.

Factory supercharger = scary price if the MOPAR name is attached... LOL Buy anything with the MOPAR label and pay double if not more so it seems.

I really like the suspension, but I am adding a Hotchkis Sport front and rear anti sway bar set and front and rear tower strut supports to make it even better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang