Trailer bed width for a gen3 car.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will a car trailer with an 80" wide bed,AND removable fenders work with a gen 3 car? 16' bed length is sufficient also correct?

thanks

Reaction score
Fit, Yes! But check the tongue weight(with car on trailer) and make sure the door clears the wheels.

My SRT10 is on my lift which is set at 82" From the runway edges to rear tires there is 3.5" and 4" to the tires. 82"-7" = 75" From memory I think the official width width is 75.2".

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twenty-foot trailer that’s 78.5” wide:

7177IMGP1206-med.JPG

7177IMGP1213-med.JPG

Although I think 16' will work, for me it would be getting a little on the short side, since it won’t allow extra room to carry extra tires or, perhaps more importantly, room to move the car back and forth to get an ideal tongue weight. The apparently too-far-forward positioning of my car in the picture above was due to the fact that it didn’t have an engine in it at that time, which is also why it’s not centered (you care so much less when you’re loading with people power alone). To what extent you need to be concerned about tongue will be determined in part by your tow vehicle. You might also want to check the tie-down locations to make sure they work for you (probably not an issue).

What kind of trailer are you looking at, and do you have any pictures?

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need 12" clearance from the deck to the top of the trailer wheels to open the door with the fender removed.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out Kuickload trailers. These are made for vipers and will clear your doors. The best part is that all you do it back up to tilt the trailer down. They advertise in the Viper magazine. You can see them here at: http://www.kwikload.com/

Robbie

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out Kuickload trailers. These are made for vipers and will clear your doors. The best part is that all you do it back up to tilt the trailer down. They advertise in the Viper magazine. You can see them here at: http://www.kwikload.com/
I agree. The pictures I posted above show my 20-foot kwikload (a/k/a Sloan) trailer, and the picture below shows the same trailer in the load position (at Roebling Road Raceway). I think most people go with the 18-footer.

7177Sloan-med.JPG

For the kind of money you're looking at spending, you could get one of these Sloan trailers with an aluminum bed and fenders and wind faring.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought an 18 foot Sloan Kwikload primarily for my lowered Z28, but it will also work for my 99 GTS. The trailer is wide enough for the Viper (as shown above) and has a nice low loading angle.

Jim

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are 4 attaching holes in the frame for connecting the tie-down straps to. I use R hook up front.

OP
OP
S

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a slightly used Featherlite aluminum open trailer w/winch here locally. It has 2 removable fenders and is 79" wide.

I want aluminum instead of steel, The Sloan Kwikload is a really nice trailer but weight is a consideration here.

Will it work for me? any and all opinions are welcomed good or bad.

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think an SRT-10 is 75" wide so it will work but without much to spare. The trailer I use is 82" wide between the fenders and gives me just enough room so I don't have to be on exactly square.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want aluminum instead of steel, The Sloan Kwikload is a really nice trailer but weight is a consideration here.
Sloan's are pretty light too, at least if you opt for an aluminum bed and fenders. I think my aluminum Sloan weighs about 1300 pounds. Weigh was a significant consideration for me too, given that my tow vehicle is a midsize SUV with a 7700 towing capacity.

Still, I’ve heard nothing but good things about Feather Light as well. And if you've found a good used Feather Light, I'd be mighty tempted to go with it, assuming you'll save a lot of money doing so. The aluminum bed and fender on my Sloan was a spendy option.