Trailer Questions

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering purchasing a Sloan Kwik Load trailer for transporting my SRT-10 back and forth to the track. I've decided upon getting the aluminum floor and fenders to save almost 600 lbs, the wind faring and the spare tire and mount. I am undecided on the following, and was hoping to get some of your thoughts on the matter:

1. Should I get the 18- or 20-footer? Which size does the car fit better on to get the proper weight distribution/tongue weight? I know that having a couple extra feet could come in handy for carrying extra tires, but is there any other compelling reason to go with the longer trailer? Weight distribution? Angle of slope (i.e., will the nose drag when loading onto the shorter trailer)? Does the addition of the wind faring make a difference? Is there any noticeable difference in ride quality when towing an 18- vs. a 20-footer? Is it noticeably easier to find parking spots to accommodate an unhitched shorter trailer?

2. Sway/Tension Bars? I've heard mixed opinions on whether or not an anti-sway, leveling and tension setup between the trailer and the tow vehicle is a good investment? Any opinions here? I'll be using a Porsche Cayenne S as my tow vehicle, to the extent it makes a difference.

3. Winch? Do I need a winch or is it easy enough to get a dead SRT-10 on a Sloan Kwik Load? Has anyone found these to be very useful or pretty much unnecessary?

4. Brake Controllers. The Florida Porsche Club President told me that the Tekonska Prodigy was a great bet for a brake controller. Anyone have any other thought on brake controllers?

5. Where to buy? Does anyone know where I can get the best deal on a Sloan Kwik Load? I've contacted a couple "local" dealers, but would of course welcome any additional insight from anyone here. :)

Thanks!!!

Russ

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a Sloan, but I looked at them and have seen them in use quite a bit.

1 - I like the shorter trailer, but if you want to add a tire rack or a large accessory box, you might want the 20. 18 is just fine for towing a viper, though.

2 - I haven't used a sway bar and have no issues w/ a trailer. With the wheelbase of the Porsche, what is the towing capacity? If 6500, then you are going to be cutting it close w/ the Sloan... how much does it way empty?

3 - Don't need one. If you break, a few people at the track can help you push the car up. I've seen a few people use them, but in general I can't say one way or another.

4 - I used whatever Uhaul had. Doesn't seem to matter much, though some have more "features" than others.

5 - If you buy the trailer out-of-state, you can save on sales tax. Other than that tip, I don't know much about where to buy.

Good luck!!!

JD

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know much about the open trailers, but I can vouch for the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller. I think it's the best one out there. It has silicon accelerometers that allow for much better braking dynamics (algorithm based). Well worth the money and you don't even have to know how it works to have it work for you.

OP
OP
V

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply JD! I like the 18-footer as well. I don't see adding a tire rack and so long as there is no obvious weight distribution or ride issues with the shorter trailer, that's the way I'll go. The Cayenne S towing capacity is 7700+ lbs. The Sloan Kwik load with the aluminum bed and fenders comes in around 1300 lbs. Add to that the Viper at about 3500 with fluids and we're up to 4800 lbs, which should be fine. I hope.

Thank you too Gary. I especially like the part about not having to know how the controller works in order to have it work for me, hehe. Hey, nice website you've go going on there! It looks like my Viper has shared some space with some good company!

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Sloan. I use it to take my GTS to the track. I haven't had my SRT on it yet though.

I got the winch. I haven't had to use it yet though. It is not essential...unless, of course, your car is not operational! Four people should be able to push it up if needed though.

I will be trailering my car to Putnam for the first time using the EQUALIZER sway/weight distributing bar. I'll see if it makes a diff or not.

I would not go with 18'. This would make it a little tight up front...especially if you get the winch..you need to leave some room there. I got the 20' model for very little more and I like the room.

Be sure and get the faring up front too. Also, get the spare tire/mount option.

I bought mine directly from the source in Sherman, Texas..not sure if there's a dealer markup.

Reaction score
In 2001 I towed my 97 GTS from Olympia, WA. to Newport, RI on a Sloan. Pulled with a 95 RAM, 5.9L SWP 4X4. I towed from WA to Yerington, NV (just outside of Reno) WITHOUT the equalizer. It was OK. I then added the load-leveling kit at my brother-in-law's house (but NO anti-sway kit). The whole setup seemed to be more stable. Though, I never used the load-leveling kit on short trips.

Now, when I bought Wing Kings PACE enclosed trailer (now Bugeater's), I used the load-leveling AND the anti-sway, and it was a dream.

I would have added the winch to both of my trailers...just for the peace of mind that I didn't have to PUSH it into/onto the trailer.

I did have the fairing on the Sloan (I think McGuireV10 still has that trailer). Get the fairing!

The reason I got Wing King's enclosed trailer was the trip cross-country. I said to myself that if I ever had to do that again.....it would be in an enclosed trailer. When my wife had orders and it looked like I was heading back to the PNW...the Sloan went.

Brake controllers? I am no expert...except to say they work well!

Where to buy? Buy used! It is only a trailer. I bought mine brand new in Tacoma. It was nice, I was treating myself to a new trailer.....but you will save valuable tire/gas/race trip/etc $$$ with a used. :)

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone using Haulmark Enclosed Trailers? Those seem to be popular here in Texas.

I use a 24' Haulmark Elite II for transporting cars all over the country. I'm very happy with it and other than normal maintenance, it is pretty much trouble free.

You can see pics of my setup on my website: www.almondexotictransports.com

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone using Haulmark Enclosed Trailers? Those seem to be popular here in Texas.

I have taken my 24 foot Haulmark all across the US to all the V-10 Nationals and have been very happy with it.

Cudaman :usa:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joebrett