trailering question

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Planning on getting a Texas Rollback Trailer (open trailer with 18' of usable length and overall length of 22'). It has an air dam on front. Thought about an enclosed trailer but felt this would suit my needs, at least for the forseeable future. It comes with 4 D-rings (near the corners). Anything special about tying down my '97 GTS to this rig? Add more D-rings? Thanks.
Ray

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 D-rings will do for the trailer.
I use the J-hooks that Archer sells for the frame to protect the frame from getting ripped.

OP
OP
V

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chuck. Just ordered them from Archer. I'm sure I can use search but where are the best places to attach to frame for trailering? Thanks again.
Ray

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are you guys paying viper tax on j-hooks for tying down the vipers?

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperray,

Look into the Sloan Kwik-Load trailer. I compared both models in the past month, and ended up purchasing the Kwik Load over the Texas Roll-back. Just another option for you to consider.

Good luck!

Newt

OP
OP
V

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NDW,

After checking out their web site, they look very similar. What were the differences that led you to go with the Sloan?
What about pricing?

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ray,

There were a few things that I liked better about the Sloan vs. the Texas Roll-Back. The Sloan was standard with deck lights, 4 wheel electric brakes, and a manual brake on the trailer. The manual trailer brake makes loading and unloading a snap, and the manual brake comes in handy when you park the trailer on a slant, just engage the brake and there is no need for wheel chocks. Overall I felt the design of the Sloan was a little better.

In all fairness to the Texas Roll Back, the salesman at the Roll Back distributorship was not very helpful. At Sloan, I spoke directly with the owner and got all of my questions answered.

Either way you go, I would recommend you get at least a 20' trailer. The 18' is almost too small.

I am sure that you will be happy whichever trailer you choose, it is so much nicer than using ramps.

Good luck!

OP
OP
V

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the good info Newt. I'll be calling the folks at Sloan today.

The J-hooks are $8.99 apiece. It doesn't seem like alot to me.

Ray

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ray,

Where did you find the hooks? I need to get four of them.

I also had Sloan paint the trailer the color of my car, and then I had my body shop put the stripes on the trailer. It makes for a very sharp combo when the car is on the trailer.

OP
OP
V

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newt,

I ordered the hooks off of Archer's web site. You have to scroll thru his parts list a few pages but they're there.

May I ask what length you got, what other options you got (fairing, winch, etc.) and what you paid for it (less the paint job)? E-mail me if you prefer.

Ray

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ray,

I got the 20' length with the wind fairing. The total price was $3,860 which included an additional ~ $200 for the Viper paint. I did not order a winch, the drive on is very easy. They finished my trailer in 4 days, they are not very busy right now.

Newt

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I paid $2,850 for my new Sloan. An 18 footer. Just added the wind/debris shield and spare tire and mount this past weekend for an additional $545. I love my set up.

OP
OP
V

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I just ordered the Sloan. Went with the 20 footer; thanks for the heads-up on the additional length (only $200 more). Got the Fairing and spare/mount. I also got the winch. I will also be using the trailer for some collector cars I have so the winch will be useful (sometimes mechanical problems prevent me from running the car). Also good in case of an inoperative viper (bite my tongue!). For that reason I also purchased a tow hook from Archer so I won't get my fascia chewed up if needed to be towed (out of a sand pit??) or winched up on the trailer.
The winch isn't cheap ($650) but rated to 5,000 lbs. I wouldn't want to try to push the viper on the trailer if it's not running!

Happy Thanksgiving to all! :usa:

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ray,

I think that you will be very pleased with the trailer. I didn't type a sentence I was thinking about typing in regards to having a Viper that wasn't running. I have a come-along winch that I will use between the front D-rings if that happens. I also have the front and rear tow-hooks for that occasion, if it happens. Where is the wood to knock on when you need it?

I am e-mailing you a pic of my trailer because I can't figure out how to get it to post to this thread.

Newt :usa:

OP
OP
V

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to visiting more tracks this year now that I will have the trailer. I need a lot of lead time to get off work though so I'm waiting to find out the dates and places for Viper Days events for next year. When do they typically post those?

OP
OP
V

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see the 2004 schedule on that site yet Chuck unless I'm missing something.

Good site Johann.

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newt, Do you use a Hemi Dodge truck (Silver) to tow with. If you do we would have the same color combo complete tow package. Pretty cool because your car used to mine. Any chance you would ever come to a Florida Viper event?

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

My tow vehicle is a 4wd dark blue suburban with 177,000 miles on it. My family calls it the chili wagon, I refer to it as the chipolte wagon. The thing I like about the truck the most is the 43 gallon tank, the new ones have a 31 gallon tank. I joked with my kids that I was going to put two silver stripes on the truck, and they didn't like the idea very much. I am doing quite a few mods to your old car, it is still running very strong. I'll send you a pic of it on the trailer.

I would like to attend the Viper Days event at Daytona next year. That would probably be my sole time in FL with the car next year.

Take care,

Newt